Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    I hear a lot of people bash the ENO for its length and also for the tarp. I am a short guy (5'7) so for me the length is not as much an issue as for some others, but I camp with a friend who also has an ENO and he is over 6 feet. Both of us have never been more comfortable camping then when in our hammocks. We go to sleep early just so we can crawl in and be on a cloud. We have each only tried one other hammock (his was a homemade tablecloth that someone lent him) and both have zero comfort issue with the ENO.

Many people talk down about the ENO rainfly as well with some saying that the tarps just are not good. There are a number of things about the rainfly that could be much much better, but I take issue with those that say it is just not good. Are there better options? Sure, but you will pay for them. The biggest issue I have with the fly is the weight. The ENO is heavy (I think its 16oz) and there are much lighter tarps, no doubt about it. The ENO tarp is very well made though and we have used them in some pretty hairy weather. We have never gotten wet or had any issues whatsoever. The tarp is super easy to set up (complete with line locks) so adjusting takes a half second to make it as tight or loose as you want. It has never been too short or anything. When I have money I will be replacing my ENO tarp and giving it to my kids. I want something lighter. But I have no issue having my young kids use the ENO and I would never give them something that was not going to be safe and keep them comfortable.

I am thrilled with my ENO setup. I will be even more thrilled when I upgrade it.

ENO is entry level stuff, but that does not mean it is not good stuff. You can shave weight off all over the place with the ENO system and as you get into using your system you will find the areas you want to shave from.

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    I started out with an ENO Onelink, and have swapped out everything but the Atlas Straps and Bug Net at this point (guess that really means that I've swapped out the hammock and tarp, I swapped the hammock for an Infinity Outfitters double, and the tarp with the Infinity Outfitters one, caught them both on sale). It is a great starter setup, as it comes with everything you need to get off the ground, and allows for upgrading components over time. The only thing I don't like about their tarp is how long you have to fiddle with folding and rolling it to get it back in its stuff sack. I still pack the Guardian bug net during buggy seasons (replacing it is at the bottom of my upgrade list, I don't really care for the zippered side entrance, I'll probably upgrade to one of those open bottom designs at some point).
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”Ralph Waldo Emerson
    --Guessing Emerson didn't practice Leave No Trace

In Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences. -- R.G. Ingersoll

Thanks for the info. I will surely start with the videos. I put the hammock up in the yard this afternoon just to try it out. With nothing else to compare it to, it was quite nice! I'm 6 foot 165 lbs. and fit in it well. When I first thought about giving this a try, I had no idea there was this much to it. Now if I can just figure out how to string this thing up in the house!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Argon
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Pretty good options right here. Also the Wilderness Logics Tadpole for around $85-$95 for a good tarp as you said you would be Summer Camping. I have one and I love it to death
    "Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory"
    - Ed Viesturs

CHerring

Quote Originally Posted by ianblaster View Post
    Now if I can just figure out how to string this thing up in the house!
    Run some searches here on that subject and you'll find quite a few discussions about it. I hang in my house sometimes and so do lots of other folks on here, most or all with a lot more experience than me. I recommend a first stop over at theultimatehang.com where there is a very good article (and a video, I believe) on hanging indoors.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I started with an ENO DN myself (Because it was cheaper at REI than a Hennessy - found out that's because it comes with way less stuff). Replaced the suspension w/ whoopie slings & marlin spike suspension to save weight and space (suspension fits in the same bag, rather than needing a seperate bag) - http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...oopie_Kit.html. God a WL Big Daddy tarp; haven't yet felt the need for a bug net.
    I've since replaced the whoopie slings w/ speed hooks.
    Anyway, your current ENO gear should be fine; you can easily replace the suspension if you want to save some weight and space, and replace the tarp w/ silnylon or even cuben fiber if you want to save even more weight. Maybe a longer hammock if you're having trouble laying flat (which you could get for $30-something). Could add a ridgeline.
    If I was starting from scratch, knowing what I know now, I'd probably get some PolyD hammock from Dutchware, speed hooks, tarp flyz, and lengths of amsteel and zing-it, and splice everything from there. Price-wise, that'd add up to $35 + $5 + $8 + $8 = $56 for hammock and suspension, and say $90 for a tarp and $11 + $15 for some zing-it and tarp flyz = $116 total for shelter. Hmm; $172 total - not quite as cheap as I was expecting. Only camping when it won't rain would save you the tarp cost at first. Of course, you'll need bottom insulation when it gets cooler...
    Hard to see what you want or how even to make stuff until you've looked around and tried stuff, though. Probably why it's a good idea to start off small / cheap / simple, and go from there.
    Last edited by pdxleif; 12-02-2014 at 21:39. Reason: Add prices

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Atlas
    My advice would be to set it up and hang in it for a couple nights...then start tweaking it from there...who knows? you may love it just like it is. There are as many different setups as there are hangers on here. I started kinda the same as you...decided I wanted a hammock then just went out and bought a whole setup. I chose the Hennessey though. I tried it out and then started tweaking..different suspension here, different tree strap there, just whatever seemed like I could get a little better. I'm now in a completely new hammock with a totally different tarp...but I am still tweaking things .

Anyway, long story short, hang your own hang. If weight is your main concern, then go for it...I have been trying to get my weight down a bit but am more worried about comfort. I now have a DH Roaming Gnome with a WB Superfly as my main setup, but am always looking to upgrade. Everytime I think I have it just right, Dutch comes out with something I can't live without...Speed hooks, anyone?

Enjoy!

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    DON'T GET IN A HURRY!

there are many vendors and quite a few companies that make everything from A-LA-CART items to complete systems WITH many styles, to choose from

take some time and goto HENNESSEE HAMMOCKS and just read about the different features of the different models they offer

same with the other manufacturer's listings

then check out the COTTAGE VENDORS, here on this site

that will help you understand what some of these folks are talking about

here is a GLOSSARY:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...for-hammocking

& here is a list of ACRONYMS:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mmock-Acronyms

TO THE INSANITY

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    ...Aaaand, in addition to everyone else's contributions (all of which have been excellent), just to make things even more murky: do you sew? If you do, light, relatively cheap gear can be made rather than bought--if you use preexisting designs rather than taking the money to prototype your own. If you don't sew, it probably won't save you money unless you're a gear head and wanting to change stuff every few months.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness.

Glad to know you are doing your research.

Strongly recommend you find a group hang in your area and attend. Group hangs are the best place to check out lots of different setups and if you ask, most of us will let get in our hammocks to check them out.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast