Diy DL Asym with bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    For whatever reason until recently I used the same method on both ends of a given hammock. It is a sick way of thinking unless it serves a purpose! Why ? The different ways of gathering the ends or using sewn channel can and will change your lay. What works for the foot end may not work the head end and it may be vise versa for the guy standing next to you.
    Try looking up a “mini spreader bar”. It is a subject related to this.
    Good point..didn't think about that. I am very excited to start experimenting..spreader bar is a cool idea certainly. I think my next hammock will be a bridge style anyway..that's a little ways away yet though..

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by remstar View Post
    I am very new here and have done a ton of reading. I know it's been discussed before but would appreciate some fresh feedback regarding a whipped hammock end or a sewn channel.

I am in the process of making the "diy hennessy clone" and after reading through all posts, I see that people just love the lay of this setup. It uses a rolled and whipped end.
    My problem is that I can't get my head around the fact that the whipping won't simply slip off the end of the hammock fabric.

Then I see this video http://youtu.be/4nU25t8Znx0

by xtrekker showing how he attaches a ridgeline and suspension to a hammock using the sewn channel method. When I pay attention to both of these different processes for finishing the ends of the hammock, my gut tells me that the sewn channel method is more secure. As if the zip tie or cordage fed through the sewn channel will act as a sort of "STOPPER". If the suspension is pulled tight from hanging, it wont slip off due to the bulge formed.

So I'm conflicted. I really want to follow through with the diy hennessy with whipped end but am afraid that the whipping will simply slip off.

I am brand new to hammock camping. I've never used one. So I don't have the experience to tell me so. I see a lot of people use both methods. Am I worried for nothing?

I understand your concerns as I had similar concerns when I first started making hammocks. The method I came up with utilized the channel end hybrid. I didnt really like the idea of the whipping possibly slipping off the hammock as I have seen start to happen in the past on one of my first hammocks. And I also didnt like the idea of the full weight of the hammock riding on my channel stitching. That is why I came up with the hybrid method. This method locks both the ridgeline and the suspension together and traps the channel end between the larks-head. The more weight put into the hammock, the more secure the channel becomes. Little weight rides on the stitching and the fabric would fail before the hammock could possibly slip through the interlocking larks-heads.

DSC00772.JPGDSC01775.jpg

Hammock
    Diy DL Asym with bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I understand your concerns as I had similar concerns when I first started making hammocks. The method I came up with utilized the channel end hybrid. I didnt really like the idea of the whipping possibly slipping off the hammock as I have seen start to happen in the past on one of my first hammocks. And I also didnt like the idea of the full weight of the hammock riding on my channel stitching. That is why I came up with the hybrid method. This method locks both the ridgeline and the suspension together and traps the channel end between the larks-head. The more weight put into the hammock, the more secure the channel becomes. Little weight rides on the stitching and the fabric would fail before the hammock could possibly slip through the interlocking larks-heads.

DSC00772.JPGDSC01775.jpg
    I understand and agree completely. I really like the look of your method. The only reason I didn't use it this time is because I wanted to try the "roll/whip" feel. I will definitely try it on my second hammock.
    I have watched a lot of your videos. They have a lot of great info. I will be incorporating the triangles for the head and foot ends of hammock. It's going to give it such a professional look. I will also be doing my zip-up bugnet the way you show as well. Not sure if I'll hang the hammock inside out or not as I really don't feel like undoing the ends. I suppose it would be better though. We'll see. Anyway, thanks for all videos and what not. They are a real contribution to this stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123