Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

No calf ridge issues for those 6' folk?

I don't have a problem with the calf ridge, but I do notice it sometimes.

I know we have a TON of threads on the issue, but I realized something last night while relaxing in my WBBB. If I point my toes and stretch out [mainly] my right foot, the material seems to stretch and the ridge is completely nonexistent! So I'm wondering, is this only noticable for people under 6' or so? I'm 5'9".

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The only time I ever had calf ridge issues was in hammocks with integrated bugnets, so I stopped using them. All my simple, gathered-end hammocks have a channel with a continuous loop through them and calf ridge is non-existent. I suspect that those who whip, gather, and use other more adjustable, customizable gathering methods can inadvertently create calf ridge.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That's interesting. I zip up my bugnet even in the dead of winter, but really don't need to 80% of the time. Part habit, part to keep the material pulled so my head isn't hanging off.

I was tempted to try something like the Warbonnet traveler especially with the sale, but didn't pull the trigger.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 90
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    Pheonix 20 +2oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I felt the ridge in my Hennessy Hammock Explorer ultralight, but in my DIY Tablecloth that is 13 ft long I do not feel the calf ridge.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Interesting - I did a google search on calf ridge and after 5 pages of browsing (I devoted nearly 15 minutes), seems like almost all calf ridge complaints are about integrated bugnet hammocks (Warbonnet and Hennessy chief among them). Anecdotal and incomplete evidence at best, but still interesting. I wonder if it has something to do with how one must choose an orientation (head left, feet right or vice versa), whereas simple, gathered-end netless hammocks don't force one to choose an orientation.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Interesting - I did a google search on calf ridge and after 5 pages of browsing (I devoted nearly 15 minutes), seems like almost all calf ridge complaints are about integrated bugnet hammocks (Warbonnet and Hennessy chief among them). Anecdotal and incomplete evidence at best, but still interesting. I wonder if it has something to do with how one must choose an orientation (head left, feet right or vice versa), whereas simple, gathered-end netless hammocks don't force one to choose an orientation.
    I'll have to try my Grand Trunk UL. May not be a fair comparison due to the overall size, but it obviously doesn't have a bug net...

Hammock
    HH
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierhammock View Post
    I felt the ridge in my Hennessy Hammock Explorer ultralight, but in my DIY Tablecloth that is 13 ft long I do not feel the calf ridge.
    Woa! Dude, have you got a picture of that puppy? Also, where'd you score that tablecloth at?

lb
    LarryBourgeois - Outdoorsy Guy

http://larrybourgeois.blogspot.ca/

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I find more of a problem with a whipped end. Sew channels - never feel anything even resembling calf ridge.
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    I find more of a problem with a whipped end. Sew channels - never feel anything even resembling calf ridge.
    I've never even tried a whipped end; strictly sewn channels. People say you can customize the lay with a whipped, gathered end which, as I've said many times, makes it sound like a black art to me. A sewn channel with a continuous loop through it is predictable for me. No matter what the fabric, the hammock always lays the same.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Well, I have had calf ridges on all kinds of hammocks - integrated and no-net. After testing PolyD and having no calf ridge, I suspect it's more an issue with stretch.

In my hammocks with calf ridge, I can improve it by moving my butt/torso - and/or by changing the suspension angle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast