WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle/Strap

Stuck with the problem

I'm 5'11" and have had calf ridge presure in all my hammocks. I have a WBBB xlc,BIAS Camper XL,and a few off brand. I can "find a sweet spot" and get a comfortable lay but it's easy to shift and find the calf ridge pressure back again. I've hung foot end higher ect.- It's frustrating hearing how others have never had it. Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. I bought both my main hammocks trying to avoid the problem. I've kinda just excepted that for me it will take time hanging and small changes to get the most comfortable lay but I've given up on reading about how one hammock or another never has this problem and believing I can find a quick fix. For me calf pressure is real and can be a problem that keeps me from sleeping well in my hammock.
    Last edited by Benton Wahl; 12-04-2014 at 08:21. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Bridge hammock = no calf ridge problems (thats my solution to the problem---at 6'4" I never could get GE hammocks to work for me!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The only time I ever had calf ridge issues was in hammocks with integrated bugnets, so I stopped using them. All my simple, gathered-end hammocks have a channel with a continuous loop through them and calf ridge is non-existent. I suspect that those who whip, gather, and use other more adjustable, customizable gathering methods can inadvertently create calf ridge.
    That's an interesting observation SS. I've had calf ridge intermittently and minimally, that is to say not enough to cause me concern or discomfort. I do remember one particular overnight I did where everything was perfect, precisely perfect. I had paid particular attention to the hang angle that night because of the incline of the spot I was hanging at. I thought that was the magic but I did have my net zipped off and stowed on that night as well. It could have been the angle. Could have been the absence of the net or a combination of both and/or any number of additional sub factors.

Does give one food for thought. I think I need some more outdoor laboratory study on this hypothesis....I'll be hanging in there on this one.

I haven't had much of an issue. I can find a calf ridge if I look for one on all my hammies (integrated net or non net) but I have my sweet spots so dialed in I never have an issue with it. I lay at a rather wide angle across with really wide hammocks and that eliminates any calf ridge. If I am putzing around (like just reading or napping) and hang at a shallow angle across then I feel that baby pop up right away in the hammock. All of mine are channel sewn hammock though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12