Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Does forum behavior affect your purchasing decisions?

I'm not trying to stir up trouble here, so I won't mention the names of any companies, but there have been, over the years, several companies, on several different forums, where representatives of those companies have behaved in ways that bugged me. Specifically, thinly veiled slagging of others' products, or even mocking huge segments of the community for doing things in ways that the company representative doesn't agree with. Worse yet, I've even seen companies decry a competitor's product as a dumb idea, and then go ahead and release a product with similar design elements.

My current dilemma is that a company makes a bit of gear that I would quite like to have, and it seems like the best fit available for my needs, but I am irritated at that company's behavior. So how would ya'll make the decision? Does the quality of gear and customer service win out (both outstanding, from all accounts), or does public behavior play a role in your decision making process too?

Again, not trying to pick out any one company here, but I am curious to hear what the community thinks of this (and PLEASE, let's keep it civil, eh folks? )

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Personally, I try and remember that "intent" is harder to gauge online than in person. Personality doesn't come through and the receiver typically places their own personality on the message.
    That being said, if I felt as you and was sure of intent, I would not do business with that company if I had other options.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    "dont believe anything you read, and only half of what you see"

plain and simple.....yes
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have to agree with animalcontrol. I've had my feathers ruffled a few times, but in the end it is difficult to measure the intent of typed words; not everybody has the use of smilies down pat yet.

But to answer your question, yes it does have a role in my decision making. But I also want the best gear I can get, best for me anyway. So there are times that I bite the proverbial bullet and order from someone that I have a less than desirable opinion of because I don't share that opinion about their gear.

Nobody is perfect and bad days are common. If their gear is good enough, then it often outweighs any personality traits that I may have issue with. There is one manufacturer in particular that soured me a couple of years ago, but I still bought one of his products at Trail Days this year. In fact, I own several pieces of gear that were sold by someone I don't necessarily agree with often. However, the gear is great and in person they are OK in my book.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images

Tough One

I am right there with you... When I go to purchase anything for pleasure or business, I weigh heavily my encounters with those who represent the said company...

For me I want to know that the company stands behind their product and will help me with whatever I need concerning their products. On a few occasions I have actually been directed to competitor becuase they felt like their product wouldnt fit my needs.. That means a lot to me.

I think I know what you are trying to say here and I will leave you with this.

When a company puts themselves in a corner with a lack of product diversification, and choses not to adapt to what the customer needs, then they have sealed shut the minds of potential customers.

Now the reaction to that when realized by a company can go a number of ways. Some will react with open minds and hearts and try to manage in tought times. Some others will act in anger or frustration becuase they dont see a way out. And others will do both, sometimes just at the wrong time.

Personally I would buy from a company if I felt like they had a good product and conducted themselves according to proper business ethics.. But i also need to give them a chance if I feel like they have reacted instead of responded.

Thanks

Hope that helped..

'dirt"

to me i say it does matter. if that person is stating at anypoint that they speak for a company then anything they say should reflect on that company. if you really want to get something from that company and it still bothers you try to contact that company or person and explain you position. see where that leaves you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    you don't happen to hang out on edcforums do you? cuz there was something very similar to this there, and it had to do with a company every member had somehting from, or wanted something from, and it really hurt that companies reputation

-CS

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I don't frequent edcforums, but I do hang out on a few knife boards, and the behavior of two different custom sheath makers on those boards has pretty much guaranteed they won't ever see my business. Those are far more extreme cases than my current dilemma.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    If it's something I need, I get it at the best price possible but I'll get it wherever I have to. For example, I try on boots at REI until I find something that fits my foot shape and then order from Sierra Trading Post if they have my size - dropped a 199.99 price tag to 82.30 for a specific boot.

If it's something that I don't need a specific brand of - I could use Walmart trekking poles but I don't - I'll go with a vendor that offers excellent customer service, excellent products, and is domestic, ie Gossamer Gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast