Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    FWIW, my definition of stealth camping implies no sinister intent or trespassing where I do not belong. Just camping in the wilderness and imposing on other people's wilderness experience as little as possible. It's a good thing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    single ring
    My definition of stealth camping has two parts: 1) setting up camp where you know you're not supposed to, 2) doing so as not to be observed. I do the second part no matter where I am, since I enjoy the peace and solitude of the wilderness, so I prefer to setup camp well away from established camping areas. The National Forests allow you to camp mostly anywhere, since that's legit, then I would classify that as "wilderness" camping, but not "stealth". The state parks that I'm familiar with specify approved camping areas, and don't permit camping anywhere else. That makes it "stealth". To qualify as "stealth" you have to be doing it where you're not supposed to. Thems my definitions. And, btw, I completely agree with the LNT comments. By camping "where I know I'm not supposed to", I consider it my obligation to be as responsible and respectful as humanly possible. (that makes it sound like I wouldn't do so in legit camping areas, which isn't what I mean...I think you get my point)
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I always considered "stealth camping" as camping somewhere that is not an established campsite. Sometimes illegal, but not always. During my hiking this summer, I noticed the AT up north seems to make stealth camping a requirement. The rules, ie New York and New Jersey, say you have to camp in preexisting campsites. The problem is some of those preexisting campsites are over 30 miles apart. I can't hike 30 miles in a day, so stealth camping becomes a requirement, not an option.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Stealth camping for me is simply camping in a manner to not be detected; during and after my stay. It is a broad definition that does sometimes incorporate camping where I'm not supposed to be camping, but that certainly is not the norm. I just like not being found sometimes. I can unleash my inner hippy and run around nekid if I want.
    Trust nobody!

For me stealth camping and camping on private land are two different things. Yes, I can be stealth camping on private land, but the idea behind it is not being seen, not just being off the trail and hidden, but even using gear that blends in. With the right gear I can be close to a trail and still undetected. For me this is also using a minimalistic approach to my gear and chosen spot as well. It's not just leave-no-trace, but not making a trace in the first place.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Stealth camping for me is simply camping in a manner to not be detected; during and after my stay. It is a broad definition that does sometimes incorporate camping where I'm not supposed to be camping, but that certainly is not the norm. I just like not being found sometimes. I can unleash my inner hippy and run around nekid if I want.

I just wish you were considerate enough to leave your hippy in check when stealthing with others.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    I just wish you were considerate enough to leave your hippy in check when stealthing with others.

You done hiking yet? This place is getting boring.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

You done hiking yet? This place is getting boring.
    Yeah. I summited Aug 10. Planning on doing the CDT, with the guy I summited with last year, in 2011.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    ......trying to blend into, my surroundings. Using gear with muted earth tones, minimizing campsite noise, smells, and sights, etc. This usually makes my trips more enjoyable and eventful. I can't count the number of times I've had deer, turkey, feral pigs, and even bobcat, wander through my camp.
    I couldn't have said it better.

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I am with Balthazar and Molawns on this one, years ago I read Ray Jardines book on ultralight packing and that was the first time I had ever heard of Stealth camping. But the principle there in was not to elude others as much as it was about finding your own space away from others. To reduce the greater impact on the land by spreading out camping spots, rather than concentrating the land use in a tight confined --established spot. Here in Idaho--exspecialy in the sawtooths you can see this consentrated impact in a number of ways. One exsample is that when camped at a frequently used site the chipmonks hunt for every morsel of food smell, they have no fear of people or dogs, they chew through everything and anything to get at any sent, food or not. They have been trained to act this way and have come to realise that people mean an easy meal. Same with bears in some areas, IE the need to bear bag or canister everything that even has a sent. But in the same area if I hike 100 yard into the woods and set up camp, no problem I could lay my food out on display and they would not look twice. Bears are diffent than chipmonks of corse but same thing, in many areas here nobody bothers to hang of bag their food, there are no regulations that require bear proofing. It comes down to the animals conditioning and training to get into peoples food. On a hike a few weeks ago my pack sat next to my hammock on the ground with 5 days worth of food in it, even the bugs did not care. Being back out off the trail a bit makes it eaiser to come and go without disturbing others, impacting nature, and lets you see other things no body else would. I often camp in established spots but stealth gives a bit more freedom in how I camp.

Paul