Warbonnet BB 1.7 Dbl & ENO Dbl.
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Good posts here and good responses.

I stealth to blend in and avoid anyone from detracting from my wilderness experience. Also, I like to keep my experience from distracting others.

"stealth": the act or action of proceeding furtively, secretly, or imperceptibly

I'm interested in that last part. When hiking in the NF, Wilderness area, or local park I prefer to go silently like a deer in the woods. You can find me if you really try; but, most won't.

I prefer to camp on public land. We've got lots of it out west. All around my town I've got tens of thousands of acres of public regional parkland(that ranchers get to park their cows on).. and no camping is allowed. The nearest national forest is hours away.

I prefer never to trespass or camp on private land if at all possible. However; if somebody has a 2,00,000 acre ranch that they illegally stole in the 1840's from a Mexican land grant recipient.. who in turn stole it from various native american tribe(s) in the 1500's..who stole it from another tribe..eons ago. Well.. I'll let you mill over your own ethics and morals on that one.

"Why can't we roam this open country? Why can't we be what we want to be? We want to be free." - Robert Marley

Don't worry.. you won't find me hanging in your backyard unless I'm invited. Just letting you know I wouldn't feel bad about doing it though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    with so much interest in "blending into the environment" it makes me wonder why so much manufactured hammock gear is a flashy, obnoxious color

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    with so much interest in "blending into the environment" it makes me wonder why so much manufactured hammock gear is a flashy, obnoxious color
    It's thier version of advertising. Everyone can spot a MRS tent or a thermarest just from glancing at it. On a local note, most anyone on this site can spot a JRB quilt from a mile away.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Another reason might be that the vendors are having as hard a time finding earth tone colors as the DIY guys are. It seems to me that if a vendor was big enough, they would be able to call up a company that manufactures 1.1 silnylon and say, "I want lots and lots of camo, or olive drab, or muted brown, or dark green, or whatever" and they could have it made. I am sure they would do that if they could but I just cant see why they can't. Hell even if they did not make ANY of their own gear with it, they could turn right around and sell it all to the diy guys, no problem. There is such a high demand for it I think.

Stormcrow.

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Great observation!!!

I was thinking the same thing as I read some of the definitions of "Stealth Camping" and trying to square that with what I've been seeing on several of the manufacturers websites... and some of the YouTube videos....
    KJ

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    When I first got my claytor JH, I really did not think I would like the camo. For me it smacks of the Michigan Militia and folks trying to hide something. Now I realize that is my own bias. As time has gone on however, I have enjoyed not being intrusive in my surroundings. Stealth is perhaps just another way of minimizing impact. Dayglow orange is great for being seen, but it sure looks out of place in the woods. Being stealth however has a calming influence. A way of being part of all that is out there. That is why I have stayed with my camo hammock and tarp and will work to continue to find gear that has those colors that blend. Perhaps I can be nature's militia.
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

Bobby Seale

http://www.riverjourneys.org

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Ed Speer advocates using loud colors in his book. His reason is that if you find yourself confined to your hammock/tarp for an extended period due to rain, the bright colors are cheerful, and the muted tones are depressing. He's speaking from experience. It's a personal choice, but I can see his point.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I usually try to make my pack as blatantly obvious as possible. We have a lot of city folk who come up and use the woods. They think they know what they are doing but ar one point the state police stopped a guy driving back to NYC pleased as punch with the huge deer he had bagged in a wide open clearing. Turned out to be a mule. May be an urban legend but I wouldn't it past some of the yahoos we get up here. Now that the recession has kicked in people are selling their land so maybe some of it will go back to local ownership. It would be nice.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As far as stealth camping goes... I usually camp with about 7 others, so stealth camping really is a nonissue for me. But when I do camp alone, I will go off the trail and over a ridge to not be seen... When I camp alone I want to be as alone as possible... its relaxing, and enjoyable. Site selection is key. The colors don't have to matter if you have a good site selection
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Ed Speer advocates using loud colors in his book. His reason is that if you find yourself confined to your hammock/tarp for an extended period due to rain, the bright colors are cheerful, and the muted tones are depressing. He's speaking from experience. It's a personal choice, but I can see his point.
    To each his own...I guess. For me the so-called "loud colors" look more like graffiti in the forest. The last thing I would call muted earth tones are depressing...but that's just me.