Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps

Question Stealth Camping?

In reading some of the posts/threads on this and other forums I've read this term many times which could have quite a few different meanings. I assume that this could mean anything from camping in a hidden out of the way fashion to I'll camp anywhere I dawm please to camp regardless to who owns the land to don't ask don't tell.

What is your definition of "Stealth Camping?"

How often and where do you do most of your "Stealth Camping?"

When & why do you choose to do "Stealth Camping" vs. camping that is not "Stealth Camping?"
    KJ

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    I use a definition like camping on privet land w/out owners permission or camping on a non campsite at all but leaning toward the first part. I dont manly because i usually camp with a big group of scouts (had to find a site for big groups and scouts have rules that we usually fallow.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    HED / ENO DN
    Tarp
    H/Hex
    Insulation
    HSS / Ember
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I do stealth camping to be out of sight and also so I leave no footprint. I only camp in areas that allow this form of camping. I live in Pa. and on most state trails they ask that you camp off the main trail and out of site. I have adapted this to most of my camping situations. Now that I am using a hammock I can use this system to be even more inconspicuous . I go to the woods to get away from the crowds so this is my main reason to go stealth.
    Last edited by TimberRider; 08-26-2009 at 17:40.
    "Hang In There"
    Leave It Better Then You Found It!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I like not to be seen, not because I'm up to no good but as a curtiousy to others out enjoying nature. They can take in the natural surroundings instead of a blazing tarp. But if I were up to no good "No one would be none the wiser".
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Stealth camping to me is camping anywhere I'm not suppose to be camping or camping in a way as not to be seen. Usually this means no camping allowed in the area. First off I am an ethical stealth camper when i break the rules. I assume the reason is others have spoiled it or the area and the area needs to heal. So LNT policies as always apply. Sometimes I am on private property but I try to advoid that situation all together. I usually hike established trails and hike until dark. I set up out of sight from the trail and don't make fires. I also get up at the break of dawn and hike out. In most state parks if you just go 50 feet off the trail you won't run into anyone, especially at night. One of the advantages of hammocking is the ability to stealth camp. Most of my SC was done while thru hiking. I would get near town and set up in a small patch of woods. I remember In Kent. CT camping behind the post office in a small patch of woods. The police came by and flashed their spotlight. But nonhikers don't like to be in the woods after dark and we were fine. Just turned off our headlamps and they went on their way.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

http://dutchwaregear.com
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Stealth camping to me is camping anywhere I'm not suppose to be camping or camping in a way as not to be seen. Usually this means no camping allowed in the area. First off I am an ethical stealth camper when i break the rules. I assume the reason is others have spoiled it or the area and the area needs to heal. So LNT policies as always apply. Sometimes I am on private property but I try to advoid that situation all together. I usually hike established trails and hike until dark. I set up out of sight from the trail and don't make fires. I also get up at the break of dawn and hike out. In most state parks if you just go 50 feet off the trail you won't run into anyone, especially at night. One of the advantages of hammocking is the ability to stealth camp. Most of my SC was done while thru hiking. I would get near town and set up in a small patch of woods. I remember In Kent. CT camping behind the post office in a small patch of woods. The police came by and flashed their spotlight. But nonhikers don't like to be in the woods after dark and we were fine. Just turned off our headlamps and they went on their way.
    When I was first in the military (early 1970s) I would do this type of "bicycle camping" all time. Anytime I had a few days free I would pack up my bicycle w/ tent/tarp, sleeping bag, etc and just ride off base. I would ride 20-30-50 miles stop and camp wherever I could set up without being seen and pick up the next day to go farther or go back to the base. I didn't much think about it, never asked permission and never had any trouble on my many trips.

Now that I'm "all grown up" I just never thought about doing it again. But then again society has changed so much, seems like there are rules for everything & there seems always be someone telling you that you can't do such & such...
    KJ

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Here's a great article on "Ninja Camping" (a.k.a. stealth camping). It's written from a kayaker's/canoer's perspective, but many of the "rules" or guidelines can apply anywhere...

link-a-doodle-doo
    Some great tips here, if you find yourself in a situation where you must stealth camp.

Stealth camping, to me, means a couple of things...it depends on the situation...
    One definition is camping as low-impact/LNT as possible on private land. I use this as a last resort option. Basically, I follow the guidelines mentioned in the article linked above.

My other definition is being mindful of, and trying to blend into, my surroundings. Using gear with muted earth tones, minimizing campsite noise, smells, and sights, etc. This usually makes my trips more enjoyable and eventful. I can't count the number of times I've had deer, turkey, feral pigs, and even bobcat, wander through my camp.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    In most state parks if you just go 50 feet off the trail you won't run into anyone, especially at night.
    On the AT near me and on Dartmouth outing club land (witch is prety much public) there's a rule that you are aloud to camp and make a LNT fire as long as you are 200ft or yards don't quote me off trail.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    Here's a great article on "Ninja Camping" (a.k.a. stealth camping). It's written from a kayaker's/canoer's perspective, but many of the "rules" or guidelines can apply anywhere...

link-a-doodle-doo
    Some great tips here, if you find yourself in a situation where you must stealth camp.

Stealth camping, to me, means a couple of things...it depends on the situation...
    One definition is camping as low-impact/LNT as possible on private land. I use this as a last resort option. Basically, I follow the guidelines mentioned in the article linked above.

My other definition is being mindful of, and trying to blend into, my surroundings. Using gear with muted earth tones, minimizing campsite noise, smells, and sights, etc. This usually makes my trips more enjoyable and eventful. I can't count the number of times I've had deer, turkey, feral pigs, and even bobcat, wander through my camp.
    Thanks for the link.

I wonder... If push came to shove... are the legal ramifications more significant for stealth camping on privately held land or on publically held land?

As a private landowner of 60+ acres of old timber (which used to be part of a longtime multigeneration hunting preserve) I regularly turn away people who ask to hunt my land but I would not turn away a camper. In fact I regularly make my acreage available for scout groups & church groups to camp, shoot, hike. I turn away hunters for safety reasons (I live here & don't want people shooting holes in my house or me) and I regularly traipse through the woods myself. I am a hunter & I support hunting & conservation efforts but I limit hunting/shooting activities on my land to those I personally know.
    Last edited by Kankujoe; 08-25-2009 at 22:16.
    KJ

Hammock
    1.1dbl Traveler
    Tarp
    MatCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HR
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberRider View Post
    I do stealth camping to be out of sight and also so I leave no footprint.
    +1

I prefer to camp in unestablished sites. Hammocking allows me to do that and LNT. The only time I deviate from this is if I plan on having a campfire. Then I'll find an existing fire ring. Boy, this strategy is a LOT easier with a hammock.
    Dan

Hangin' ROCKS!