Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie & Burrow 40
    Suspension
    Whoopies

San Diego: New River vs. Jarbridge

Hello all, as the title says i live in San Diego, California so the temperature never gets that low so I'm wondering if i should get the New River UQ or the Jarbridge and a foot pad. I'm 6'2, 180 Lb's and it will be going on a Warbonnet BlackBird XLC. I'll also be purchasing a Owyhee TQ to go along with it.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Alpine,

Full Length versus Partial Length comes up frequently, here is my general thoughts on it. Choosing between the two are a couple factors. Partial length quilts came about to reduce pack volume and make use of a pad that can serve double duty as a sit pad around camp or on the trail...make that log a little more comfortable. Some pack manufactures also use a pad as the back support...mostly ultralight packs....so now the pad could serve 3 uses making it more functional for the weight to carry. In the long run it works out as a net weight savings over a full length quilt.

Full length quilts like the New River however can function warmer as if you roll over and the pad moves out from under your feet they get cold and you wake up...a full length quilt does not have that issue. They let you stretch out and your still insulated. They take up a bit more pack volume, weigh a bit more, but have less fiddle factor to set up and adjust.

In my opinion it's less about where you live and where you hike and more about how you hike or camp. Are you more UL or more car camp? Do you prefer ease of set up and less fiddle factor or is a few cubic inches of pack space more critical to have? Do you see yourself making dual use of a foot pad as camp seat or pack padding?

Hope that helps but let me know if you have any further questions at all.

Paul @ AHE
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie & Burrow 40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you for the reply, it's always awesome to get a reply straight from the manufacturer! I'm just wondering if the New River will be overkill since it will be used in above 50 degree nights 99% of the time. I try and get my pack as light as possible, but i won't mind about the weight too much since it is for my sleep system. I'm on a budget so i can't spring for the down TQ and UQ just yet.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Both quilts could be switched out to the 1 season option which we rate to 45°F. And/Or both can be vented or hung looser to allow a little air flow for cooling, And/Or slid off to the side to start the night and pulled into place when the late night chill sets in.

Both otherwise would be equally warm at any temp within their rated range assuming equally adequate foot pad with the Jarbidge.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Hey Alpine. I've used my New River in 70 degree temps and was fine. As Paul said, you can always vent if you are hot. It's nice to have the extra warmth at 50 degrees too.

The New River does pack bigger but if the weather is good, I attach it to the outside of my pack in a stuff sack. The weight doesn't bother me, but it is a little bulky. Still, very much worth it for the price, especially with a sale.

I don't like to fiddle to save a little weight, but that me. As Paul said, if you hike more than car camp and are concerned about weight more than comfortable sleep, get the 3 quarter length. If you like all bases covered and don't mind a little more weight and bulk, get the full length. Also consider if you are usually hot or cold when you sleep.

Good luck with your decision!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    The camping nearby to San Diego can get colder than most people would think. You're at most no more than an hour away from some higher elevation places that see snow in the winter. Focusing on gear for 50+ temps really limits where you can go or when you can go (even in San Diego county, and especially if you travel elsewhere). So even if you're in the 50s 99% of the time near home, if this will be your only UQ maybe you should plan and buy for comfort during the remaining 1% of the time.

Hammock
    Appalachian Hammock - Original
    Tarp
    Kelly Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I purchased the new river not long ago. Completely happy with both the price and workmanship. FWIW, I'm not a hiker, so full length was my priority, not weight. My only complaint is not enough time to hang....lol
    gl2060

A shepherd must tend his flock and at times fight off the wolves. (the preacher in the movie The Patriot.)

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie & Burrow 40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not sure because i can't hold one in my hands, but i think volume wise it wouldn't make much a difference for me since i would be putting the quilt on its side horizontally in the bottom of my pack, and by the looks of it on the website video, both would take up about the same space in the bottom of my pack since the Jarbridge would uncompress to fill the gap. And 10 ounces is no big deal for me, i go in fairly light already. I hate these decisions haha. I think i will buy the New River long, and if it's too big for overnighters, i'll buy a Jarbridge also and use the New River for car camping. And DanglingModifier i live in Alpine, would you be willing to meet up sometime so i could check out your quilt/quilts and maybe get some more opinions since you live in the same city?

• + New Posts