Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessay,Nicaraguan

I'm cured! no more traumatic brain injury, wait scratch that ;)

hope thats no offence to other injured brains, i really do have TBI. broken elbow too.
    which brings me to this post in sorts. Just in the early stages of making the switch, mattress to hammock. so far I'm hooked. Started out just pre-testing a hennessay, see if I can sleep in it before supper here. any day now my wife and I should be getting our Nicaraguans in the mail. The bedroom (hammock room?) is cleared and ready!
    With he hennessay, i know now i can full time sleep in hammock. perfect! pretty excited about that. now with my questions...
    Any recommendations/tips for us with this new setup: using a Nicaraguan?, the setup we have only 11ft room)? its been just over a week with sleeping in the HH. I notice i have neck and shoulder pains now. Would that be from the actual hammock sleeping, could be life I know but i wonder is this a common thing with the switch over? I toss and turn in bed always, and still in the hammock so far. Did anyone else here find they tossed and turned less as the full time switch progressed?
    + my very nice positives so far. I sleep deeper and faster now. with my brain injury that is actually a BIG thing for me! unexpected. my left elbow broke in the car accident too and its always been hard since sleeping in beds. but Unexpected 2. I can sleep comfortable on that left side now without any numbness or just plain uncomfort! So, I love the switch and hope it all last with no issues I'm not thinking about.
    Love this site BTW.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You may want to try a small pillow for the neck and shoulder pain. I use a very small 6x10 down pillow and it is so comfy. Good luck to you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry to hear about your accident but love your positive attitude! Check with Stormcrow (Adam at HammockGear) about indoor set ups, I think he has a few. Also, make sure you are laying diagonally and getting the "sweet spot" might help with the neck and shoulder issues. I also have to have something small, like a small thin pillow or folded up fleece, for my neck/head.

If you haven't already checked it out, look at the book "The Ultimate Hang." It's largely geared toward outdoor users, but has great tips and how to's and is pretty entertaining.

Good luck with your hammock and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Hammock
    Hennessay,Nicaraguan
    great idea, i used a pillow most of the nights maybe I will use 2 I kept picking one spot for it, under knees or behind head. guess i was trying to limit the items in the hammock. so far the less things the better i sleep. the first morning I woke up like a tornado clothes dryer, couldn't tell chris from pad, pillow, sleeping gear, winter hat. etc.. lol. then I had to find that bottom entry escape hatch?

RockSlide: unfortunately the speedy recovery part does not apply in my case. seems its permanent. but... slowly and bit by bit you can work with what you have, find alternatives to what you don't. its been 4 years since the day. but this whole new hammock for a bed idea sure adds to the help list for sure. the hidden gems!
    thanks much. appreciate.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I'd agree on checking on the diagonal. There's such thing as too much diagonal too in those smaller hammocks. It might not be such an issue with your new set-up. Congrats on the Nicaraguans! Very exciting!

ETA: Could need a bit more sag too.

Hammock
    Hummingbird
    Tarp
    MEC Scout tarp
    Insulation
    -7c MEC Mirage
    Suspension
    Tiedown Straps
    I have no real advice on your Hammock questions, but from one Newfie to another,
    Hang in there!
    You're going to love the hammock.
    What part of the island are you from?

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Okay, a few things. How long ago were you injured?

I am working through some similar things. I found hammocks by accident, hung in one I purchased on the very cheap, a double nest ENO. Loved it. Then I decided to go for a Hennessy. I found I could sleep almost pain free and I could sleep.

What I have learned, I need a certain type of hammock to be truly comfortable. Now I get in the hammock, I am out cold for several hours. The big plus is I do not hurt in the morning when I arise. I can even walk like a normal person.

I use a small roll under my neck. I have a very small Tempur Pedic Travel Pillow I use, it goes under my in the occipital region. Too much pillow throws my spine out of alignment and causes problems with my neck, shoulder, leg and a major headache. I have had two brain injuries, fortunately I have been steadily recovering. I just have some what I call peripheral little rough spots. Balance goes south sometimes, can not function in the dark, just little stuff.

If your damage is recent, I would go to a Acupuncturist or try acupressure. I went to a Naturopath with the last wreck I was in, he helped me a lot without drugs.

I am wondering if your spine is out of alignment and that is causing the problems you are describing. I suggest you try the suggestions members have made to you. If that fails, have someone work on your spine. Be very selective, make sure whoever works on you is licensed. I have used a Chiropractor, however, I only allow soft tissue work, no popping for me, no bear hugs.

My shoulders both have hardware in them, however, as long as I keep my shoulders warm I am fine. With my damaged elbow, I pad it, the pressure of the hammock against it is painful, I found a way to lay, so I do not have any pressure on the area.

I found getting in and out of the Hennessy to be a problem, so I have changed to something easier for me to exit from.

Over all i sleep extremely well in my hammock. Once I am in and adjusted, I can sleep pain free, a great event. I no longer have to sit and wait to loosen up enough to walk, no more morning pain. Nope I get out of the hammock ready to go.

Be sure your backside is warm enough, if you become chilly while sleeping it will make things stiff and hurt.

Hammock
    Hennessay,Nicaraguan
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tac View Post
    I have no real advice on your Hammock questions, but from one Newfie to another,
    Hang in there!
    You're going to love the hammock.
    What part of the island are you from?
    Same place as you by the look of it! Codroy valley. Coopers Brook area across from Little paradise park. Imagine that?

Hammock
    Hennessay,Nicaraguan
    Ironfish. Its been almost 4 years to the day now. jan 19. I think my back is aligned pretty normal? went thru all the rehab after the accident and the back was not really something they needed to work on. Well, i did break my neck, i suppose. the C1 vertebrae i believe its called. So its possible, but the neck and shoulder discomfort i'm having now, is probably just from chopping wood or playing in the woods here. and maybe slightly added to by the hammock angle. once i hang it right i guess i will see.
    I did not and most likely will not do the drug thing either. I might be brain damaged but i still believe theres a better way most times.
    I have some of your issues too. The elbow. the balance and such. a whole 'ball of wax' I suppose but, good luck stopping this guy! I can't remember now if i got that Hennessy before or after the accident but, like you. the brain does not always enjoy getting in and out. 'pretty complicated' brain tells me lol. but i love it so its staying. It will be my camping hammock. The new nicaraguans will be more suited for my new full time bed. Glad I found out about those types. My wife just played around with the angles of the current setup (Henessay in bedroom) and a slight angle change really does make a big difference! so we are getting there!
    Cheers

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    when I am car camping or if I was to sleep inside I would recommend a neck pillow. Like the ones you would use in the car or airplane. I have one thats an elephant from when my son was little. If I move around at night it stays behind my head. Even if I sleep in my side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast