DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    I believe this is what he did. Try not to be jealous of my Paint skills.

Attachment 101904
    Haha, okay that makes sense.
    Thanks!
    I will be trying that next. I'm happy w how they turn out without it, but I think this is nice improvement.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    Wow! Nice hammock! Very clean workmanship

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I'd pay to stand behind you and look over your shoulder.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Superfly or stock
    Insulation
    Jarbidge 3s KAQ
    Suspension
    DIY
    Sweet set up. Thanks for posting pics

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.7 oz gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    New River UQ,
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Thanks, the width is 60". I cut the ends of my hammocks alittle differently than most. I put a shallow semi-cat cut at each end. Usually about 1.5" depth to the curve at each end. This makes the sides about 3" shorter that the middle which helps pull the sides up and eliminate some of the flop.
    Wouldn't a cat cut on the ends make the sides slightly longer in relation to the center compared to a straight end? My sewing machine slightly puckers my fabric on the end channels. That made the sides tight when I sit down In the hammock making me reluctant to sit in the hammock with my lower legs hanging over the edge for fear of ripping my end channel stitches with the sides so tight. So I was thinking about putting a 2-3" cat cut in the ends to counter the tight sides I got on my first hammock. How do you like yours so far?

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollintent View Post
    Wouldn't a cat cut on the ends make the sides slightly longer in relation to the center compared to a straight end? My sewing machine slightly puckers my fabric on the end channels. That made the sides tight when I sit down In the hammock making me reluctant to sit in the hammock with my lower legs hanging over the edge for fear of ripping my end channel stitches with the sides so tight. So I was thinking about putting a 2-3" cat cut in the ends to counter the tight sides I got on my first hammock. How do you like yours so far?
    The theory in hammocks is not simple because there are many factors. Any minor changes you make have an impact. In the picture below I have tried to illustrate ½ a hammock but please have in mind is in 2D and hammocks are in 3D. When you add the ridgeline/sag you get the third dimension.
    I won’t pretend I understand it all because I don’t.
    We start out with flat piece of fabric and then we gather it and if you look at ¼ of the hammock it becomes a triangle but because the outer edge is shorter it adds sag and tighten the edges.
    Adding a cat curve to the ends (it’s actually called a convex because its “out going”) the center of the hammock drops down/the edges get shorter and tighter. The result is a deeper hammock.
    If you add a concave shape (inwards curve) to the long side edges the sides are lowered but hammocks bottom shape will remain the same. What you gain is less floppy edges in the middle and its more easy to get in and out of but less side support. Depending on the depth of the concave shape you will also remove some of the “side wall” in the head and foot end and then your feet and head can move over the edge if you don’t have an integrated bugnet. BTW checkout XTrekker’s bugnet video, very cool!
    A while back I made a hammock with approx 3” convex ends and 6” concave side edges. I won’t do that again! It’s too deep and very unconvertible to sit in. If you use a rolled hem on the edges it won’t rip. Mine did not, HyperD 1.6 and 1 stitch row.
    Something to remember is if your hammock ends are symmetrical (alike) any changes you make has a x2 factor.
    The method used for gathering the ends also changes the hammock shape. XTrekker’s ends are closed and pulled towards the center with a zip-ty. It gives a very nice finish if you ask me. If it was hung from a sewn channel the hammock would be a little bit deeper.
    Sewing a hem or channels on a curve is a nightmare and the smaller it gets the worse it is. The reason is our thread injectors are made for sewing in a straight line and it feeds the fabric in a straight line under the pressure foot. For hems I use a tool I made also for big cat curves but it is a challenge and the result is not perfect but for smaller cat curves pins are the only solution if you can’t do it free handed. Sometimes it helps to start at the middle and sew towards the edge, especially if you are sewing a wider channel (>1/2”).
    Anything you do has pros and or cons!
    shape.jpg ang.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks
    Thanks for the good explanation Snowball.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Sorry its been a bit since I have had a chance to visit this thread. In response to the catcuts that I put on my hammock ends;
    I usually do them with a shallow curve. Usually only about 1.5" curve on each end. This adds up to be about 3" difference between the lengths of the sides and the center. To be honest, I really dont cut an actual cat curve. I have found that the perfect balance is with a 10"-12" section in the center of the ends where there is no cut. And I typically do straight cuts to make things easier to stitch. This method was really never meant to give the hammock a different lay but rather alleviate some of the side flop of the hammock. This is really a preference thing and others may not find the results as desirable.

Untitled-1.jpg

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Sorry its been a bit since I have had a chance to visit this thread. In response to the catcuts that I put on my hammock ends;
    I usually do them with a shallow curve. Usually only about 1.5" curve on each end. This adds up to be about 3" difference between the lengths of the sides and the center. To be honest, I really dont cut an actual cat curve. I have found that the perfect balance is with a 10"-12" section in the center of the ends where there is no cut. And I typically do straight cuts to make things easier to stitch. This method was really never meant to give the hammock a different lay but rather alleviate some of the side flop of the hammock. This is really a preference thing and others may not find the results as desirable.

Untitled-1.jpg
    I know now it wasn’t your intension to change the lay with the end shapes but now I am curious. Do you know if the lay changes with your semi straight ends VS. a convex end?
    I have tried many combinations but never your shape but it makes sense because an arch is a pain ……. to sew.

In my experience it doesn’t take more than ½-1” in the ends deliberately, odd shapes or unintentionally before it makes a difference in the lay. These days I prefer to hang from a channel end its because of the lay. Visually I like your method better but comfort has priority for me.

BTW thanks for the videos! Much appreciated

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I know now it wasn’t your intension to change the lay with the end shapes but now I am curious. Do you know if the lay changes with your semi straight ends VS. a convex end?
    I have tried many combinations but never your shape but it makes sense because an arch is a pain ……. to sew.

In my experience it doesn’t take more than ½-1” in the ends deliberately, odd shapes or unintentionally before it makes a difference in the lay. These days I prefer to hang from a channel end its because of the lay. Visually I like your method better but comfort has priority for me.

BTW thanks for the videos! Much appreciated
    There might be some subtle differences. But for the most part the lay is about the same.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234