Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Not worried about the hang stuff, just the clothes and outer wear. Just remembered last night that I have duck hunting gear in TN that should take me to zero with appropriate thermals. Need boots though. probably will order some mukluks next week.
    Other big issue is my mom's health. Tomorrow we get a decision on whether she can get a valve replacement at 91, or not. That could happen in a couple of weeks if it is a go. That would pretty much negate any travel for me.
    Fingers crossed for hitting the highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Keep thinking my friend. Sure would be good to have you there.
    I'm sure with what you have & maybe a loner or two you could stay comfy.

I have found more challenge in staying warm standing & sitting around in camp than sleeping. But I've made some real progress there too.

Still waiting for Ranger Marcia to get back in town & let us know if she can help with the firewood delivery.
    I no longer have a truck. Besides we have to be careful not to bring in wood from areas were the Emerald Ash Borer has been found.
    http://www.emeraldashborer.info/map.....KRdOfTQQ.dpbs
    Having local firewood delivered & paying for it out of the raffle proceeds is much easier IMO.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Hope all goes well with your mom. We'll be saying some prayers, Rockdawg. Lord willing, it'll all work out and we can get together in the Highlands.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Thanks HR.
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hoping & praying the best for your Mom Rock Dawg. Sure hope you make the trip but Moms come first.

Ranger Marcia has been out of town but I got an email from her today saying we would have firewood!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Thanks to all for your prayers and concerns. We got put off another 2 weeks before a decision can be made for my mom. Looks like I'm free to get frozen, at least for now. Felt so good I bought some new thermals from Bass Pro just to be sure I'm set for snow and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Hoping & praying the best for your Mom Rock Dawg. Sure hope you make the trip but Moms come first.

Ranger Marcia has been out of town but I got an email from her today saying we would have firewood!
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Sure glad the hang is going to work out for you! I talked with the Professor earlier this evening. ..he was excited to hear you may come.
    Hoping for lots of the white stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    Thanks to all for your prayers and concerns. We got put off another 2 weeks before a decision can be made for my mom. Looks like I'm free to get frozen, at least for now. Felt so good I bought some new thermals from Bass Pro just to be sure I'm set for snow and cold.

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    The weather forecast as it stands now....(use your desktop to find Grayson Highlands State Park at weather.com) We can see the first couple days in the 10 day.
    Looks like Mother Nature is being kind to us as we arrive. 10 days is a long way out, though:

Thurs 35/25 Cloudy 20%
    Friday 33/26 AM clouds, PM sun.

Time to get ready! Have you decided on your gear list? Last minute purchases like batteries, hot packs, something for the raffle, food for pot luck? Have your tarp lines rigged and your insulation ready? .......this is half the fun! Getting ready for some time in the mountains is something I truly enjoy. See you soon!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Glad you're planing to join us Rock Dawg!

Home Run & I just wanted to let you know how we are getting the firewood this Winter Hang! Here is a message from Ranger Marcia Holland...

"The wood will be free. I talked Harvey into that since you guys have been so generous with the Friends group".

Harvey is the head Ranger at GHSP. If I'm not mistaken, Marcia is second in command.
    Marcia & the others have been externally helpful to our group in many ways, including allowing us to use the group camp site in Jan when the camp ground is actually shut down.

Besides the great staff, GHSP is has well kept, beautiful & diverse as any state park I've visited, and it is located in the much larger Mt Rogers Recreation Area, along with three wilderness areas.

As always, the proceeds from the raffle will cover the cost of the group site, the port-a-john & occasionally some other expense made for the group hang.
    Normally we pay for the firewood out of it as well, but it has been provided by GHSP for this winter hang.

After those expenses, the remainder goes to "Friends Of GHSP". They are an organization that helps to improve the park in many ways.
    http://www.graysonfriends.org/
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Let's give a big thank you to the Friends of Grayson Highlands. We appreciate the firewood and all the help from Marcia and Harvey. Really, when you consider the park is open just for us, we're very fortunate to have a true mountain place to enjoy the weekend. If you can, stop by the ranger's office and share our appreciation....good folks in the Highlands.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I was just about to post sayin I wanted to pay for the wood this year, but since it's already taken care of....
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast