Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I setup a quick test run last night. Actually, my daughter reminded me about 9:30 that I promised her to sleep outside in the hammocks. So, I set her up in an ENO DN with a sleeping bag acting as a peapod and her child sleeping bag in side and a ENO Profly over top. She was super warm and didn't want to get out of bed. I had my WBBB with HG UQ and a Cabelas 0* sleeping bag as a TQ. I setup my new Superfly, but left it flopped over on one side. I was pretty warm as well. I think that I will be well prepared, as far as sleeping arrangements are considered, for this trip. The temps only got down to 37* and was 42* by 8 when I got out of bed. Now to begin packing for the trip. I hope to have everything done By Thursday night at a decent time to leave early in the morning on Friday.

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Hi Clay, most info you'll need is in the intro by Happy Camper. It's an enjoyable read and be sure to click on the links.

We meet back at the campgrounds; no need to stop by the rangers place. (They do enjoy the company though, so say hi if you like.) Back to the intro, look for the link to the park maps. It's very detailed and shows the campground area. It'll help familiarize you with the trails, also.

Once you enter the park, follow the road all the way to the sign for the backpackers parking lot. Turn right...you'll see the parking lot immediately on your left. Continue on past it and follow the road all the way back to the campground. There is parking space at the country store and also in front of the restroom. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. We're here to help.

Looking forward to seeing you.

HR

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    As time nears for this trip, I have a few questions. Where do we meet? I understand that the park is normally closed, but will open for our hang. Do we have to use a specific gate? Do we need to check in with the Ranger Station? Is there a map that can be posted? I'm not paranoid, just haven't seen anything as I have tried to follow this thread.

I will likely be coming in on Friday morning, leaving the DC area early. If any one needs a ride, let me know.

Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I feel like an idiot. I read the intro, but overlooked the links. I read all about the winter camping tips and even clicked on one of the numerous links to the registration spreadsheet. How I missed the actual park info is beyond me. Again sorry for the oversight.

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    No worries. We're here to help. See you there!

I feel like an idiot. I read the intro, but overlooked the links. I read all about the winter camping tips and even clicked on one of the numerous links to the registration spreadsheet. How I missed the actual park info is beyond me. Again sorry for the oversight.

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    Just signed up on the spreadsheet for myself (dave) and my fiance (victoria). Very excited as this will be our first group hang. Hoping to arrive around 5:45 - 6:15p Friday. We'll be coming up from the Hickory, nc area and hoping for clear roads as our car is RWD. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I do have a 5 gallon/20 quart Stainless steel pot that I could bring if we need it for cooking. It's not suitable for over an open fire, but if someone has a propane burner that would work.

Also, one more thing. Does anyone have an extra camp chair or two? I don't own any, and I think the cheap(er) ones aren't in season yet at the stores.
    Last edited by dimjim; 01-19-2015 at 15:16.

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Glad to hear you're both coming dimjim! We will have 2 large double burner propane stoves. Your SS pot will work fine on those. I'll look for an extra chair. Hopefully there will be someone who sees this and may have a couple extras.

HR

Quote Originally Posted by dimjim View Post
    Just signed up on the spreadsheet for myself (dave) and my fiance (victoria). Very excited as this will be our first group hang. Hoping to arrive around 5:45 - 6:15p Friday. We'll be coming up from the Hickory, nc area and hoping for clear roads as our car is RWD. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I do have a 5 gallon/20 quart Stainless steel pot that I could bring if we need it for cooking. It's not suitable for over an open fire, but if someone has a propane burner that would work.

Also, one more thing. Does anyone have an extra camp chair or two? I don't own any, and I think the cheap(er) ones aren't in season yet at the stores.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles

dimjim, I have extra chairs for both of you. I'll bring three extra chairs in case someone else needs one too.

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    dimjim, I have extra chairs for both of you. I'll bring three extra chairs in case someone else needs one too.
    Thank you so much Clay. Really appreciate it! See you at the hang. And homerun, I'll bring the large pot in case anybody needs it.

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Thanks for bringing the extra chairs, Clay. Dimjim, we can heat water in your pot to use for Nalgene bottles in the hammocks and whatever anyone else needs. We appreciate all of your help!

Thank you so much Clay. Really appreciate it! See you at the hang. And homerun, I'll bring the large pot in case anybody needs it.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Counting down the days, I'm excited test went well. I'm having trouble figuring out what to bring for the potluck sat. So someone please tell me what I should bring/do..lol
    Tim sorry you wont be there we will miss you.
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast