Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to Ground

Going to Ground

Anyone have contingencies for, God forbid, having to go to ground?

I figured I'd try to find at least one tree and use my trekking pole for other end.
    So far I'm only a one pole backpacker.

Bearpawwd has this lightweight cuben poncho/ground cloth that could be used as a floor and double as my poncho and pack cover. http://www.bearpawwd.com/shelters_fl...o_bathtub.html

I'd still use my BIAS buginator and suspend one end of it from the poll or tree and just drape it over me and cinch the bottom under my bag.

Only issue is I'd need to be using a hammock pad that could also be used one the ground. Problem is I wouldn't want to carry a pad and an underquilt.

What are some other strategies for this contingency?

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Going to Ground

In a pinch, you could use a space blanket or a piece of cheap (light) drop cloth plastic from you local paint department. Hammock on top of the groundcloth. Use trekking poles staked at an angle to hold a ridge line to pitch your tarp like a tent. Then all you have to worry about is bottom insulation if it is cold. I carry 3 feet of reflectix in the sit pad pocket of my Mariposa pack. The pad and reflectix would be almost enough.... Maybe my pack under my feet would make it long enough.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Many folks share your fear of "What If I Have To Go To Ground?" You could spend hours reading threads on this topic. Personally, I have no fear of having to go to ground. If I were going somewhere without trees, I'd bring a tent.

There's the old saying, "We pack to our fears." Some carry firearms for protection, or personal alarm systems in case a critter approaches their camp. Fears like this almost always have a weight penalty (like carrying an UQ AND a pad, or a hammock AND a tent). If that's how you want to pack, go for it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have not ever had to go to ground since I started hammocking in 2007.
    If I had too....I could rough a night cowboy style.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Hey man, are you concerned about comfort, warmth, or both?
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Car camping: I take my hammock set-up and a tent. In NZ public campgrounds are similar to German campgrounds = very few trees, if any. I often had to use the tent. In the US all campgrounds I stayed at had plenty of trees. The tent stayed in my boot.

Bicycle camping: Same as car camping. I have only biked in NZ and Germany.

Hiking: Before I go on a hike, I do some research and see if there are trees for hanging. If there aren't, I take a tent and leave the hammock at home.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR and BB
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ, Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I've thought about this, and I'd use my sheet of 4' Tyvex for a ground sheet and clothes, sit pad, etc. for under insulation.
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad->TQUQ
    I agree with the above. You can't plan for everything. I once stayed in a very nice hotel that started flooding at midnight. We ended up going to one of the few hotels with a room. It was not very nice. I didn't make reservations there before staying in the nice hotel. We just made due.

If something happens where I can't use the hammock, I'll just rig what I have to sleep on the ground - probably close to a fire. If things get that bad, just start hiking to the car - or the next non-flooded hotel

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If I ever had to go to ground I would simply inconvenience my hiking partners by squeezing into their tent

...I have thought about it though, and it's simply not going to happen since I would have to bring a bathtub ground cloth + an inflatable sleeping pad with me and that isn't going to happen I might as well bring a UL tent + feather bed blow-up full size mattress to sleep on

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This will be my dilemma also, I embark on a cross country bicycle trip from florida west to Arizona, as much as I want to hang I know somewhere maybe west Texas and beyond will have limited hang options, so I will bring both tent and hammock. Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast