HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images

MD State parks - No hammocks allowed

Went to make reservations at Point lookout State park over the phone,
    When I asked the operator said it was in "large Red lettering" that hammocks are not allowed.

Slack

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Was there any reason to why they didn't allow hammocks? My thinking is that they think you're gonna pound a nail or screw into a tree. Also see if you can find out "who" wrote the rules and write them a letter asking about the no hammocks. They must have had some really huge issue with them for the lettering to be "large RED lettering".

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    It is funny, we have a guy in our area that is conducting a LNT trainer training course and he uses a hammock for LNT purposes...

I have a feeling that the no hammock rule was put in place because someone did bad things with hammocks. It is just easier for them to say no hammocks than it is to check everyone's setup to make sure that tree huggers are being properly used.

Having said that, I know what I would do....

SC

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Images
    I here stories like this and when I look into the way back machine for an answer I see some drunken frat boys nailing a $5 net hammock from the local super store between two trees with railroad spikes (Perhaps a slight exaggeration) beside there clothesline (also using the exaggerated spikes) and proceeding to have a keg party in the woods. The next campers to arrive find a spider web of cable, cord, and nails left for there enjoyment. I'm sure this what the authorities are expecting when we say the word hammock.
    Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
    The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
    I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It seems that a majority of states have rules either specifically banning hammocks, or banning hammocks by including a line along the lines of "absolutely nothing to be attached to trees or structures". I doubt very much that these rules were put in place due to hammock use since it's only been the past few years that the use of hammocks when camping has started to be of any significance. My guess is folks were hanging all kinds of stuff (likely heavy) from trees with rope or chain. The resulting damage was enough to justify the rule.

In my experience, those rules seem to apply mostly at high use areas. All State Parks in Colorado ban hammocks; city parks even ban stakes in the ground! But, I've been 'caught' hanging in a State Park far away from any campground. The conversation with the ranger was polite as he informed me of the rule, checked out my hammock rig, gave it a try, and told me to have a nice day. He did ask that I stay out of obvious sight since there is a rule against it.

I guess I'm just trying to say is that there may be a rule, but it is often enforced as needed. If you're away from the crowds and polite when an encounter does happen, I think you'll be OK in most cases. I've been chased off a few times too, so be prepared for that as well.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Just another reason to avoid people, campgrounds, and their rules.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    A recent investigation into why CT had a similar rule determined that it had to do with keeping campers in cleared areas to avoid injury due to falling branches. As always they're trying to protect us from ourselves.

Getting away from rules and regs is why I go camping. Oh well.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    I haven't researched the problem of no hammocks in Maryland State Parks, but we picked the MAHHA hang site on the AT, just outside of Gathland State Park, because there are no prohibitions there.

FL State parks in their infinite wisdom have the same rules. However, some brainless bureaucrat decided to pave the area, where tents are to be pitched with lime stone. The acid rain turns the lime stone to concrete -- resulting in the inability to drive a regular tent stake. Absolutely no tents lines are allowed to be anchored off the stones. Silver River provides to you a huge sledgehammer and railroad type spikes to pitch your tent. I made the rangers pitch my tent for me. I told them they didn't want me slinging a sledgehammer anywhere within ten miles of their campground.

Another FL state park, where we have been launching kayaks for 15 years has a new manager. He has decided launching kayaks there is too dangerous and stopped all launching.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayakado View Post
    FL State parks in their infinite wisdom have the same rules. However, some brainless bureaucrat decided to pave the area, where tents are to be pitched with lime stone. The acid rain turns the lime stone to concrete -- resulting in the inability to drive a regular tent stake. Absolutely no tents lines are allowed to be anchored off the stones. Silver River provides to you a huge sledgehammer and railroad type spikes to pitch your tent. I made the rangers pitch my tent for me. I told them they didn't want me slinging a sledgehammer anywhere within ten miles of their campground.

Another FL state park, where we have been launching kayaks for 15 years has a new manager. He has decided launching kayaks there is too dangerous and stopped all launching.
    Might as well pitch in the parking lot. Asphalt would be softer to drive stakes into. Thank goodness, I haven't run into any problems in NC with hanging a hammock.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast