WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup

Keeping warm in a Warbonnet XLC

Getting ready to go on a 20 mile hike on Cumberland Gap here in Kentucky/Virginia border. Did this last year and it was 23 degrees at night. last year I used my Blackbird with 20' HG UQ and a sleeping bag. I also used my Chinook Tarp with enclosed doors. I also had to put a whoobie blanket (military poncho liner) over the ridge line to help keep some heat in. I did get a little cold on my butt, I think my UQ is only good for about 25'. Other than that I was pretty toasty.

Want to go lighter but stay warmer Wanting to use my XLC w/o bugnet with my Nube tarp system, 20' HG UQ and 0' TQ. Then I got to thinking I have the cover for the XLC but I dont know if it will hold in enough heat? I also have a 10' TQ that I might be able to convert to a bottom quilt?

Dont have a scale so cant weigh everything. So its Nube (a lot heavier than cover) or the XLC cover? Who has had experience using the cover on the XLC in the winter?

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I tried my XLC with top cover several weeks ago. I kept a thermometer that holds low temps in my Warbonnet shelf. Found lows within the hammock and top cover, which was zipped close all but about 18 inches on the side, was 5 degrees higher than the outside hammock temp. Interior got down to 25 while outside was 20. I slept under a SF with doors closed.

There was a slight amount of frost on the top cover on the head end. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I tried my XLC with top cover several weeks ago. I kept a thermometer that holds low temps in my Warbonnet shelf. Found lows within the hammock and top cover, which was zipped close all but about 18 inches on the side, was 5 degrees higher than the outside hammock temp. Interior got down to 25 while outside was 20. I slept under a SF with doors closed.

There was a slight amount of frost on the top cover on the head end. Hope this helps.
    That sounds about right for the temps I'll be seeing. Did you use TQ, UQ (what temps) and anything else to stay warm? Thanks

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I had a HG 20 degree Incubator plus a 2qzq underquilt protector. Top quilt was a JRB 20 Sierra Sniveller. I had plenty of protection. I usually rely on a balaclava to keep my head and the rest of me warm at those temps but I found the XLC top cover gave me enough to get by with just a stocking cap.

I could see how condensation might be a challenge with the top cover at 20 and below. this was why I kept the cover open on my shoulder by not zipping it fully closed. The underquilt protector gave me should wind protection while still allowing a bit of ventilation.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I would typically see a 12 degree difference between inside and outside temps when using the overcover on the XLC during the winter. I slept outside in my CLC every night last winter and I am a warm sleeper.

If you hqve a down top quilt that you can lay inside the underquilt to stack them, it works so long as the top quilt doesnt fall inside and bunch up. I layered a 40 degree flight jacket on top of a 20 degree zepplin this weekend (26 degrees and windy) and it made a difference.

During my cold weather sleeping I use a 0 degree top quilt from Hammock Gear.

Suggstions, nalgene water bottle with hot water in it, take your socks off, sewn foot box for the TQ or stuff a jacket into the hole if it is a snap footbox, foam pad under your heels, small pillow under your neck (insulates) and where a knit cap.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I have hiked that trail many times and when it is cold and Windy I come off the top ridge and get down below the wind and you can pick up 5 to 10 degrees

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    MacCat or Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I do like that area as well, but only day hiked in the winter. Rat dog had some good suggestions. The water bottle has helped me through several cold nights. I have metal water bottle with an insulated sleeve that works wonders when I was struggling on the ground with an inadequate sleeping bag. Have just switched to HG Burrow and Pheonix, and hope not to need the hot water bottle again.
    And even if you saw it yourself, you wouldn't believe it
    But I wouldn't trust a person like me, if I were you
    Sure I wasn't there, I swear I have an alibi
    I heard it from a man who knows a fella who says it's true
    Gaelic Storm - Johnny Tarr

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    Getting ready to go on a 20 mile hike on Cumberland Gap here in Kentucky/Virginia border. Did this last year and it was 23 degrees at night. last year I used my Blackbird with 20' HG UQ and a sleeping bag. I also used my Chinook Tarp with enclosed doors. I also had to put a whoobie blanket (military poncho liner) over the ridge line to help keep some heat in. I did get a little cold on my butt, I think my UQ is only good for about 25'. Other than that I was pretty toasty.

Want to go lighter but stay warmer Wanting to use my XLC w/o bugnet with my Nube tarp system, 20' HG UQ and 0' TQ. Then I got to thinking I have the cover for the XLC but I dont know if it will hold in enough heat? I also have a 10' TQ that I might be able to convert to a bottom quilt?

Dont have a scale so cant weigh everything. So its Nube (a lot heavier than cover) or the XLC cover? Who has had experience using the cover on the XLC in the winter?

Hi camoxjeep, Did you make this trip? Was wondering if you found away to to vent your xlc?
    I've had mine out on the deck for the last week and slept in it for 3 nites temps +20 to +24F so far.

Poking my head out the the zipper has been the only way I have found so far.

• + New Posts