WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche

Tripodish Support

Would this type of end be viable for a camping hammock? Portable Hammock Stand

My thoughts are if one is viable it would allow me to hang in my backyard.
    If two in conjuction are viable I think that would make for a small car camping solution.

Any feed back?
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    A number of us have been there and done that. You can rig a cheap DIY version pretty easily using a pair of 2x4's. You can use a pair of them in tandem.

There are issues.
    • There's a lot of force on that stake. It needs to be a long sturdy one, or something like you screw into the ground to create a place to attach a dog leash.
    • The ground needs to be firm enough to hold this, but not so rocky as to prohibit it.
    • The line from the bars to the ground needs to be long, because the shorter it is, the more force there is on the stake.
    • It's a challenge to rig a tarp over this, because under load the top of the cross bars moves in towards the download force.

Top of my head.

It's fun to play with and you learn some about hammock physics with a hands-on lab. What could be better than that?

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Well I currently have a HH Explorer Deluxe and if I rig the tarp to the hammock then that should (sorta) solve the tarp issue, this is really only a quick solution for some very specific issues like the fact that I have no trees in my backyard and some snobby lady comes out and yaps at me every time I try to set up on the trees on the other side of my complex's parking lot, apparently they aren't my complex's trees they are the apartment buildings ... blah blah blah.

Also my family does a Derien Lake camp out and we get the same treeless sites every year and I really want to show off.

So for those two situations I will attempt a DIY solution.

My plan (so you can mock me) is to get 2x4 and attach them at the top using a hinge, then to prevent them from opening too wide I will screw 2 holes in the middle and thread some rope with a stopper.

Anyone try this and fail miserably and want to be nice enough and save my touche?
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    Well I currently have a HH Explorer Deluxe and if I rig the tarp to the hammock then that should (sorta) solve the tarp issue,
    Hold on there skippy... hehehe

rememberf you have to have the heght to accomplish the hang. You might find the 2 x 4 supports need to be right at the end of the hammock to give you sufficient height off the ground. So the tarp may still present an issue as you lose the run out from the hammock end to the tree.

I've never tried to do this so I am just top of the head on this.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Avoid the issue of staking by building a structure with a cross-piece between the 2 uprights on either end of the hammock. It will be in compression when you are in the hammock and takes the load that would otherwise be carried by the stakes and guy lines.

For car camping you have a number of options. Head to one of the scaffold companies in the east end and ask about used aluminum tube and coupler scaffold pieces (cheesboroughs and 1.5 inch sched 40 aluminum tubing). Many years back I picked up a number of fittings and lengths of tube that had been used when they repointed the stonework on the Peace Tower.

The project can also be done on the cheap with EMT from Home Depot but it will be a lot heavier. If you're willing to spend a little more then Fasten-All in Bells Corners (or any of the electrical supply houses) can sell you Unistrut which is a lot like Mechano for big kids.

There are a number of floating dock manufacturers around the area that can put together something special for you out of aluminum tubing.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    I was looking at the sort of structure you mention, I was interested in the Couples Hammock Stand since my significant other is also a hanger.

But I also was looking for a cheap quick and small(ish) solution for just those 2 situations.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Cheap. Sawhorse brackets.

Just add 2x4s and a cross-member on the a-frame to keep the legs from splaying, maybe by drilling a hole through the 2x4 legs and adding a rope.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    Well I currently have a HH Explorer Deluxe and if I rig the tarp to the hammock then that should (sorta) solve the tarp issue,
    hope so.

Also my family does a Derien Lake camp out and we get the same treeless sites every year and I really want to show off.
    understood.
    So for those two situations I will attempt a DIY solution.

My plan (so you can mock me) is to get 2x4 and attach them at the top using a hinge, then to prevent them from opening too wide I will screw 2 holes in the middle and thread some rope with a stopper.

Anyone try this and fail miserably and want to be nice enough and save my touche?
    What I did was close to this.... instead of a hinge I drilled a hole through the 2x4's and put in an eyebolt with washers. The legs pivot on this. The cord to the ground goes onto the eyebolt. I put the same piece of rope between the legs to keep it from collapse, but it seems in practice that the load and the stake-out are enough to hold it in place. But put that rope there anyway!

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I've done what Griz did but with 1x3 lumber. It's considerably lighter and less bulky than 2x4 and didn't bow excessively. The problem isn't with the legs. The load on the line to the stakes can be a couple hundred pounds. Keeping the stakes in the ground is the real challenge.

If you've got the time, do the math and see what the forces are.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    Avoid the issue of staking by building a structure with a cross-piece between the 2 uprights on either end of the hammock. It will be in compression when you are in the hammock and takes the load that would otherwise be carried by the stakes and guy lines.

For car camping you have a number of options. Head to one of the scaffold companies in the east end and ask about used aluminum tube and coupler scaffold pieces (cheesboroughs and 1.5 inch sched 40 aluminum tubing). Many years back I picked up a number of fittings and lengths of tube that had been used when they repointed the stonework on the Peace Tower.

The project can also be done on the cheap with EMT from Home Depot but it will be a lot heavier. If you're willing to spend a little more then Fasten-All in Bells Corners (or any of the electrical supply houses) can sell you Unistrut which is a lot like Mechano for big kids.

There are a number of floating dock manufacturers around the area that can put together something special for you out of aluminum tubing.
    What a great idea! I can't believe I never thought of it, considering for two years I used a home made wood stand with a metal fence post up high taking the load. It was a very sturdy set up. But I never thought of trying to rig some kind of bar between stand alone 2x4s.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast