Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Down Leakage

Hey folks, I just finished making an underquilt and I'm getting boatloads of down leakage, obviously I chose too lightweight of a material. Do I have any options to remediate OTHER than making a new quilt? For instance, would treating the fabric with a DWR "seal" the holes between the threads in the fabric?

Can I encapsulate the quilt into something else, like sandwiching/quilting it into 1 or 2 layers of climashield to make a hybrid UQ? Thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Any pictures? What type of down did you use? Just made this little pillow. I used a 75/25 down/feather fill and I haven't had hardly and leakage.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    You're among friends, I did the same, sorry to tell you this but I think it's a rebuild. Its it's just a few of millions it's fine but significant loss gets really irritating.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Did you use a down proof fabric ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Did you use a down proof fabric ?
    That is the most important question..

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Tough break. What fabric and down did you use? A downproof fabric is one that has been calendered - run over a hot roller to fuse the fibers together, usually on one side. The calendered side usually has a shinier finish to it than the raw fabric side and is used on the inside of the quilt. Thin downproof fabric can still leak feathers but should not leak down. That leads to the second part of my question - the down quality. All down contains some percentage of pointier sharper bits. Lower quality down (lower fillpower) contains a higher percentage than higher quality down. You can expect to see some leakage of those sharper bits through thin fabric, even when calendered. I rarely see a leak of 800FP down through 0.9oz argon. With a heavier fabric I'd see even less, but that would be defeating the purpose of lightweight fabric.

The good news - assuming that your down is of reasonable quality (and not 30% feathers), the bits that are leaking are probably the bits you didn't really want to keep anyway. The question is whether the leakage continues and is bad enough that you can't live with it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey folks, thanks for the responses, I didn't realize that there were so many. I think I'm going to have to take a look at genixia's suggestions when I get back home to see if there's a match. It's not a high quality down, I had recovered down from a jacket I found at goodwill (I think it's more ethical to recycle if possible), and so it's probably 600 or similar. Perhaps what I'll do is stitch in some quilting lines across my baffles to keep the down from shifting as much, and see if it stabilizes from that.

• + New Posts