WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie

KY>RRG>Group Hang

I attended a group hang at Red River Gorge in Kentucky. The base camp was at an established site on the Hanson's Point trail. I arrived at the Pinch em Tight parking lot around Noon on Friday, Dec. 12th. As I was getting ready to hit the trail another person joining the group showed. Since they had not been out to Hanson's Point I waited to make the hike together. Packed up and ready to go we took the direct route of Pinch em Tight trail toward Hanson's Point.

Once at camp introductions were made and camp was set up followed shortly by some grub – pasta with meat sauce and cookies n crème pudding. The rest of the evening was spent around a fire before retiring to the hammock for some reading (This was the first time I've been willing to pack the weight of a book – "A Walk in the Woods" written about the AT). I'm pretty sure Friday night was our coolest temps (somewhere around 25-30? with a light breeze) and my 20 deg UGQ worked well.

Saturday morning was met with a cup of coffee and a hike to Hanson's Point. Back at camp I cooked up some oatmeal and chatted with others around the fire. Later we made another hike to Hanson's Point and then on a search for the Ledford Arches. I had attempted to locate the arches on other occasions but never had the correct area. After those few attempts of narrowing it down I was finally able to find them!

Back at camp, following our successful arch hunt, I filled up with some chicken & noodles while we waited for some chickens to roast over the fire (that's right, the organizer brought chickens!) The rest of Saturday was spent around the fire "patiently" waiting for the chickens to cook. With my belly full of chicken and chocolate fudge pudding, I again retired for some reading in the hammock (The next chapter that night was all about bear attacks…You hear a lot more noises after reading about bears mauling, maiming and generally wreaking havoc on hikers!).

Everyone broke camp on Sunday morning and filtered back to their cars for the drive home. I opted to hike out a longer way to make a stop at The Veranda. After a short rest & snack while enjoying the views, I headed back toward the truck via Rush Ridge trail.

It was great getting to meet some fellow hikers (hammockers and non-hammockers –Sheltowee Hammock Co. was part of the group and provided a few hammocks for people to try…So, there may be some converts!). I was able to pick up on some set up tips and ideas. I was also happy to get to see some spots in The Gorge that I have either not been able to locate or just didn't have the time to hike. Always good to get out and enjoy the outdoors!

I think this is everyone that was able to attend. Sorry if I missed anyone.
    SirMarkos
    cdnunn01
    razorguy
    rigidpshycho
    CorrosiveCookie
    ShellHammock
    robblandon
    Boston

Jack
    Brian (and Bella!)
    Travis
    Last edited by Broken Halo; 12-15-2014 at 12:18.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images

KY>RRG>Group Hang

Awesome report! It was a great weekend and I'm glad we got to meet some fellow hammockers! Hell, even those ground dwellers were pretty **** cool too
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks for the nice trip report and pictures. The RRG is a beautiful area I hope to visit someday.

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Great report! I'm grateful that my first group hang was filled with such wonderful people. I had a blast and am looking forward to next time.

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    Awesome report! It was a great weekend and I'm glad we got to meet some fellow hammockers! Hell, even those ground dwellers were pretty **** cool too
    The pics are just like being there!

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    The pics are just like being there!
    Just exactly like it :P

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Ok guys I want to get an overnighter together next month at my spot in the Clifty Wilderness. Everyone I met this past weekend was awesome and would love to hang with all of you again
    Chris

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    Ok guys I want to get an overnighter together next month at my spot in the Clifty Wilderness. Everyone I met this past weekend was awesome and would love to hang with all of you again
    I might be interested in that if everything works out (weather, schedule, etc.). I haven't spent any time in that area and would like to get to know the area.

• + New Posts