BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    I like the design and cut of the tarp which comes with the 250, but in storm conditions, and even in heavy rain (which I had two nights of last weekend) it doesn't give enough coverage.

It's difficult to get undressed and stay dry in the process, and driving rain can get under it. The storm shield works brilliantly, and I love the fact that the sil nylon is so light,

but my other complaint about it is that the seam isnt sealed. The construction of the hammock in general is excellent I think, but to sell a product of this calibre and cost with an unsealed seam is lame.

I don't really fancy the idea of the envelope set up with the velcro. How do you get into it with it all velcro'd up?!
    I've got a different Clark but still had/have the issues that you're addressing/asking about:
    Not enough coverage, ends: I made a couple of end caps, sort of shaped like an ice cream cone and just covers the ends of my hammock. Helps with any wind blown rain that comes through the ends.
    Not enough coverage, sides: My underquilts are made with DWR nylon so I don't worry so much about the bottom of my hammock getting rain splash up from the ground. I will also set up my hammock & tarp lower on the trees so I'm closer to the ground if the weather is crappy.
    Getting Dressed: a difficult chore!!! Especially when the tarp is in storm mode! I flat out can not get undressed outside under the tarp if it's in storm mode. I've got to stake out one side and somehow get it done. If I'm already inside my hammock, I can change clothes there. But wet clothes will come off before getting inside, even if I have to just drop them on the ground (eeek) or sling them over my hammock ropes. These are things I still need to "practice" more of, in the back yard
    Tarp not seam sealed: didn't bother me, I've bought tarp/tents, espensive ones too, that were not seam sealed. I sealed my clark tarp when I first got it.
    Getting into the Clark w/tarp in storm mode: This is done CAREFULLY I stake out the middle tarp ropes so the inside middle of the tarp isn't right on top of me. Makes it look kind of like a fat middle, pinched ends, taco!!
    The more I practice in the rain, the better I get at doing some of these things.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Interesting you have the same issues, TL. I've looked at most of the tarp firms out there and made an enquiry to one who sadly can't make it in camo. So, I'm going to design my own caternary tarp to the spec I want and make it, then I'll have no one to moan about but myself

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Interesting you have the same issues, TL. I've looked at most of the tarp firms out there and made an enquiry to one who sadly can't make it in camo. So, I'm going to design my own caternary tarp to the spec I want and make it, then I'll have no one to moan about but myself
    If you are looking for anything bigger than 10x11 that's probably the only way to go without forking over an arm and a leg for it. OTOH, JRB has Olive Green 10x11 cat tarps... they aren't "camo" but then again olive green used to be the "old camo" on many miltary unis. FWIW

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    yeah i already looked at all those mak, thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    yeah i already looked at all those mak, thanks
    I also found this one last night and ordered it. I will try it out and see how it works. If it is a no-go, then I'll just return it. It's on sale for $80, but it says it's a 12'x12' One of the reviewers stated that that measurement is on the diagonal, meaning at worst, it would be 10'x10' or so. I'm alst not a huge fan of the orange color, but since this will be used as a winter tarp mostly during hunting season it can't hurt I guess lol.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    That one would be hopeless for the UK, Mak. With the rain/wind we get it would flap around like a real *****. I think a diamond might be quite cool for summer and low/no wind, but for here, i wouldnt have it. it also says 1500mm pu waterproofing. Does that mean 1500mm hydrostatic head? if it does, thats pretty low for something which says "waterproof'

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    I also found this one last night and ordered it. I will try it out and see how it works. If it is a no-go, then I'll just return it. It's on sale for $80, but it says it's a 12'x12' One of the reviewers stated that that measurement is on the diagonal, meaning at worst, it would be 10'x10' or so. I'm alst not a huge fan of the orange color, but since this will be used as a winter tarp mostly during hunting season it can't hurt I guess lol.
    Thinking along the same lines for use in expected cold weather & wet conditions... I bought a larger rectangular tarp from Campmor... it is a 10x12 nylon (Equinox) which matches "almost" identically to the Clark's green material color. I believe I paid about $40... only thing I don't like about it is the metal gromets (not bad but I'd prefer sewn pull tabs). Since most of my camping is via bicycle, kayak, car or short hikes, carrying the larger tarp is not an issue. Actually for stealth camping, the larger tarp helps me hide my bicycle or kayak, which is a plus...

IMO, for most uses... the standard tarp that comes with the NX-250 is a good & adequate size.
    KJ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Yeah, I am still having a hard time deciding. I really like the Campmor tarp that you told us about... what is the weight on it? I think I may return the other one that I mentioned in the previous post... we will see.

I also emailed OES about a SpinnUL tarp, but I haven't heard back yet.

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    Yeah, I am still having a hard time deciding. I really like the Campmor tarp that you told us about... what is the weight on it? I think I may return the other one that I mentioned in the previous post... we will see.

I also emailed OES about a SpinnUL tarp, but I haven't heard back yet.
    The Campmor site says that it weighs 1.9 oz/sq yard... so that makes it weigh about 25oz for the 10x12 tarp... about the same weight (within an oz or two) as the Cabelas tarp that you ordered...
    Last edited by Kankujoe; 11-09-2009 at 02:43.
    KJ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    I hung in my Clark NX-250 for the first time this past weekend. It was the first time I have ever in a hammock I've closed my eyes and opened them and it was morning. Really, an amazing sleep.

I already had a Speer winter tarp so I didn't buy a tarp with it. As far as the hammock goes, It was sewn well and is really well made. I only have one problem so far and that is the lack of a forward d-ring for a ground anchor. I e-mailed Clark with a picture from this weekend and was told that I could return it and they would cover up to $12 of the shipping cost to install a d-ring. I can easily install it myself so I won't need to send it in. I used it as a gauge for customer service and they passed with flying colors.

Once I had the hammock hanging, my first impressin was "Wow, that is huge!" I was initialy concerned that I had bought the 250 by accident and should have bought the 150. I am 5'10" and weigh 250lbs. Once in, I appreciated the space. I have been used to my shoulder clinching ENOs. Another good thing I noticed about the NX-250 was the generous size of the built in stuff sack. I had no problem at all breaking it down and feel that if I had a Z-liner installed, I could leave it in place and stuff it as well.

If I had to look for a negative so far, it would be two small things. One is that when you have the Bug Net and Weather Shield off and in pockets, the foot end of the hammock falls down (back against the hang point) due to weight. I solved this my simply installing a section of shock cord to the loops in the head room section of the dome.

The other would be that the storeage pockets at the head are very small. In comparison to the outside pockets they are tiny. This is a small downside due to the huge exterior pockets but if they were 50% larger it would be nice.

The Clark NX-250 is a real gem. I am very happy that I forked out the dough on this hammock. It is expensive but you do get paid back with quality that will last for many seasons of hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast