Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps

Post Clark NX-250 Impressions

I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where Clark NX-250 users could deposit their impressions. Maybe it will help those seeking information on this particular hammock system. It would be helpful for others to post some of their impressions here also.

I'll start with my previous postings from another thread.

8-17-2009
    So far I've had three nights in my new NX250 hammock. Two of these nights it rained pretty hard and continuous. I stayed dry & comfortable. The 1st night I used a milsurp CCF pad. On nights 2 & 3 I didn't use anything except a lite fleece blanket & camp pillow. I was pretty comfortable except for the ambient humidity. I'm looking forward to cooler temps.

I like my set up pretty well so far, been tweaking things a little, learning what works best for me. Installed an inside shock-cord ridgeline to hang some small gear & an overhead LED light. So far so good, I was able to read comfortably for several hours while lounging and listening to the critters at night.

I also really like the drip rings that came with it, a video on Clark's website shows how to use them & the polypro ropes as a tensioner to set & adjust the hammock suspension. These along with a couple climbing biners & tree hugger straps makes the setup a breeze. Much more easy than trying to adjust the hang with a bowline knot. I'm using nitesize figure 9s on all of my guidelines on the tarp. These make tension adjustments rather easy. I think I'll also begin using a corded ridgeline on the tarp (it has a seamed ridgeline). I believe this will protect it better from wind gusts, the material & stitching is quality but I think I'll feel more comfortable with a standard ridgeline.

Some other observations: The NX250 has a lot of room, I'm able to move around in it, lay diagonal, lay on my side, and back with relative ease & comfort. There is no significant shoulder squeeze, there is plenty of elbow room and it is long enough to lay relatively flat. The hammock base is long enough to put my pack inside with me, I just need to figure a way to secure it & keep it from sliding to the middle (I'm planning on some kind of web handle/biner or a cargo net to secure my pack?). I'm glad I went with the NX250 vs the NX150 or the NA. The overall construction & materials are top notch. I also like the pockets underneath, it is easy & convenient stowing & retrieving gear while inside the hammock. The new tarp (RX250) is plenty large (124"L x 98"W on the head end & 74"W on the foot end) and has a catenary cut configuration.

I picked up a new pad, Exped Multipad 39"x79"x.12"(3mm) EVA ccf foam covered with ripstop nylon. It is big & seems to stay put. I'm looking forward to using it when the temps are cooler. I suspect I'll purchase Clark's UQ when they become available. The bug net canopy works well, easy to open/close on either side. The Weathershield is also easy to adjust, zip & upzip or stow away.

So far, I'm pretty happy with my new set up. Can't wait for the cooler weather to get out and really break it in.

8-24-2009
    Some more impressions:

I spent the past two nights in my Clark NX-250 and I really like this setup... I can understand now the loyalty to the Clark brand.

Since the weather was forcasted to be clear I did not set up the tarp. I slept on top of an open cheapo ****'s mummy bag and had a fleece blanket as a top cover. I'm definately going to invest in a top quilt as this seems to be the easiest way to go. Still trying to decide what to sleep on (pad, quilt, blanket, bag). I expect to buy Clark's UQ setup when available...

I was completely comfortable on top of the open mummy bag w/o a pad in temps of 53* both nights. I had the "weathershield" closed to 80% length which added to the internal warmth, when zipped 100% it was a little too warm... but not bad, this will be a great feature as the temps drop, I expect to get all 4 seasons out of this setup. I slept in boxers & a cotton tee shirt, barefoot... but I had my feet in the mummy bag foot box... I also wore a fleece skull cap. I slept great at night and slept in a little...

I even took a mid day nap... expected to nap 20-30 minutes but slept for about 3 hours! This hammock is really comfortable. I've never slept this long or this comfortably on the ground. I've been missing out the past 40+ years of camping comfort.

As before, the set up is a breeze (about 2-3 minutes if that).

This time I used my Black Diamond Zenix IQ headlight to read for a few hours. Nice to be able to quickly stow the book underneath in the pockets when done and not wake up laying on it.

That's it for now...
    KJ

My NX-250 arrived in the UK today - can't wait to get out in it...

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps

Sub 30 no problem...

I just got back from my yearly camping/bicycling excursion to the Oktoberfest held in Hermann, Missouri. This is my 13th year of making this trek. There is usually between 2 & 6 of us who make the trip. This year a buddy & I camped on the Katy Trail (a 225 mile long RailTrail that crosses Missouri), we ride 20-30 miles on bicycle, go back to camp clean up and venture into Hermann for German food, wine, beer & music. Then back to camp between midnight & 1am.

This is the 1st time using hammocks for this trip (we have NX-250s). The temp Friday night got down to about 34* & Saturday night to about 30*. We used 3/8" CCF pads, fleece blanket on pad & open bags on top as TQs. We had no trouble staying comfortable & sleeping well. I was the late riser at 11am, my buddy got up about 9:30am. In years past we were up between 6 & 7am. It is so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.
    KJ

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Great reviews...thanks!

My Camo NX-250 should be here tomorrow! I'm doing backflips with anticipation!
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    NickJ,

Nice review... thanks for posting the link...

Post your impressions of the z-liner setup once you get a chance to use it.
    KJ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    NickJ,

Nice review... thanks for posting the link...

Post your impressions of the z-liner setup once you get a chance to use it.
    I got my 250 and Z-Liner last week and had a chance to finally try it out last night. I have been waiting up in CT to try it out on a colder night to see what it could do. The temps only got down to 38/39, but I slept VERY warm in shorts and a long sleeve wicking shirt in a Go Lite Ultra 20 and Z-liner. I didn't feel any cold coming up through the bottom of the hammock whatsoever. I am looking forward to trying it out in even colder weather, but have no doubt that in silk underwear, fleece Acorn socks, neck gaiter, and hat/balaclava I should be able to take it down much colder. FWIW, the WeatherShield definitely helped out with holding the heat in. I'd have to say that it was at least 15-20 degrees warmer in my hammock than the outside. YMMV

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Ordered my NX-250 last night. I have a Speer Winter tarp so I opted out of the stock tarp. I will be using it next weekend and can't wait. These reviews are very helpful. I will return to add my own review when I get back.

Having not seen the hammock, my initial concern was if the bugnet/weathershield will sag in the center if the hammock is hung loose? I like some sag so I can lay on my side.

Can anyone help answer that for me? Thanks!

Good to hear positive responses to clark hammocks,I am looking at the new vertex by clark anyone have any imput on the vertex. Thanks Rocrunr

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by plaunius View Post
    O

Can anyone help answer that for me? Thanks!
    I have pitched mine with a fair amount of sag, and if the weathershield bags down a bit it is not a problem. The shield does not have to be taught like a tarp to work. It is more of a problem pitching it without enough sag, because the shield can get so taught that the zippers won't work.

Also, there are tabs for setting it up without the poles (if they get busted/lost), and these could be used to take out some of the slack if you like a huge amount of sag.

It seems to me that the side-position is no problem when the hammock is pitched with just enough sag that the zippers of the shield work smoothly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast