Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware

3 season under quilt recomendations?

Looking to get my first under quilt. The pad and sleeping bag has worked fine, but i am sure now that i wont be doing much tent camping from here on out, and am ready to take the plunge on an under quilt. I'm mostly a 3 season camper, and most of that is either car, or canoe camping. however i am trying to find the time to do more backpacking. so, i was thinking a full length, 20 degree UQ would suit me. I kinda wanted to take a poll to see what your recommendation are and why? I'm a warm sleeper, 5'8" tall, 11 ft gathered end hammock. Also i use a BIAS buginator, if that makes any difference.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I went with Hammock Gear (20°F Incubator short for my 5'4") because they offered the lightest full-length insulation at that time. I will probably get an Enlightened Equipment Revolt Elite down the road, because I can save even more ounces. The Revolt Elite isn't cheap, though.

While the EE underquilts are cut straight, the HG Incubator has a curved cut that has worked very well for me. Occasionally, I hear that somebody has a problem with the cut, but most people seem to like it.

I just would like to piggy back on this thread, as I am considering the same as chromedome. If you go with a 20 degree UQ for 3 season camping, what do you do in the summer when its warmer, say 70 at night? Just hang it looser to allow some venting? Or do you need a dedicated warm weather solution?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WS/TH
    Quote Originally Posted by booone0 View Post
    I just would like to piggy back on this thread, as I am considering the same as chromedome. If you go with a 20 degree UQ for 3 season camping, what do you do in the summer when its warmer, say 70 at night? Just hang it looser to allow some venting? Or do you need a dedicated warm weather solution?
    Subscribing to see this. I am curious as well. Curious if I will need an UQ armada.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by booone0 View Post
    20°F quilts are very versatile. As a cold sleeper, I have never needed to vent a 20°F underquilt. I did vent 10°F and 0°F underquilts, though, and it's very easy. Just loosen the suspension a bit. Often it's already enough to uncinch the ends, if your quilt does have them.

Some people have an extra underquilt for summer (30°F or 40°F), but the weight savings are not that great - and I would need to be fairly sure that night-time temps aren't going to dip to use one. I spent a couple of nights in the Whites with a 10°F uq in August, and I was glad that I had some reserve.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    20°F quilts are very versatile. As a cold sleeper, I have never needed to vent a 20°F underquilt. I did vent 10°F and 0°F underquilts, though, and it's very easy. Just loosen the suspension a bit. Often it's already enough to uncinch the ends, if your quilt does have them.

Some people have an extra underquilt for summer (30°F or 40°F), but the weight savings are not that great - and I would need to be fairly sure that night-time temps aren't going to dip to use one. I spent a couple of nights in the Whites with a 10°F uq in August, and I was glad that I had some reserve.
    I had a 40°UQ. Sold it becasue it just didn't make sense for what I do. My 20° Incubator easily took me down to 3° (very surprised by this!!) and up to 50° just fine. That's as warm as I'll even hike and camp, so I can't vouch for warmer summer nights. It does fine in my 64° basement though without any venting.

I recently started focusing on the colder end which is obviously MUCH more important. Picked up a 0°UQ to go along with my 20°. I'm pretty sure that's where I'll stay since I don't get out in the summer.

Hammock
    simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I've been really happy with my full length 'quick hang' from simply light designs. It's synthetic.... which I have No problem with. But it light, packs pretty small, and has been super easy to get adjusted. Jared's a good guy to deal with as well.

However,
    three season here and three season where you're at are two different balls 'o wax That and I don't care how hot it get's... I go all year .... probably more in the summer so three seasons for me is late fall, winter, and early spring.... most of the year I don't need an UQ.
    Last edited by silent chad; 12-19-2014 at 14:21. Reason: disclaimer

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I personally use a 20 degree 3/4 length hammock gear phoenix underquilt but if I was intending to car camp or otherwise not carry my gear much I might consider the incubator or some other full length UQ. I'd probably also go with the same 20 degree rating since I'd be able to loosen up the suspension a bit to vent it and could kick off a top quilt to cool down as well. You might consider going warmer, like the 40 degree but I tend to think it's easier to adjust gear to get cooler if you're too warm rather than it is to get warmer if you're too cool. My reason for considering full length vs 3/4 length is, since you won't care much about bulk or weight, it's nice to have something that's a bit more forgiving as far as ajustment and I find sometimes I have to fiddle a bit with my partial UQ to get it just where I want it.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Regarding the bulk and weight between the two, I had to go with the full length. The Phoenix was something I really WANTED to like but the full length Incubator just works better for me. It's an extra 6oz, but I stopped carrying a sit pad, which I would need with the Phoenix, so my weight savings was approaching nothing.

Here's a photo of them side by side. When gathered and compressed with just my hands, the extra 2' doesn't seem like much. That made me feel much better about carrying the extra volume. It was nice to compare both in person but I ended up selling the Phoenix.

I'm loving that green though!! Makes me want to sell the Incubator just so I can reorder a green one

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think the 3/4 Phoenix would do fine for your height. However, if you're not a hiker, may as well get the full length.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast