Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles

Warbonnet blackbird or blackbird xlc

I'm looking to get a new hammock and have decided on the WBBB. I just don't know if I should get the standard or the xlc. I am 5' 10" and weigh 165lbs, and will use it primarily for backpacking. I will most likely get the double layer 1.1 in whichever one I get. There is only a 5oz. difference between the two, would the longer one be more comfortable? Your thoughts?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Your the same size as me and I went with the XLC. I like the roomy feel. I recommend the XLC.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    Looking at all the posts about 10' or 11' made me wonder what my Hennessy was. It measures 108" gathered end to gathered end laying flat on the floor. If I'm ok in this then the standard blackbird at 120" should be fine as well right? Do all manufacturers measure gathered end to gathered end?

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    And the XLC has the option of removing the bugnet and replacing it with a top cover for winter hanging.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm not sure if you measured your Hennessy correctly; I think you might have measured your ridgeline and not the hammock body. The WBBB has a ridgeline of 100"; the hammock body is 10'.

Most people here will advise you to go with the 11' XLC because 11' hammocks have been very popular the last couple of years. However, I think that length is not all it's cracked up to be. There are many other factors that determine how comfortable a hammock is to a specific user. With the WBBB it's important that you hang it right and find the best way to lie in it.

If it was my decision, I would go with the WBBB and see if I can make it work for me. A shorter hammock means more coverage with your WB MJ, and more potential hanging sites. If you find that you would like to have more space, sell the BB and go for the XLC.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I have both and prefer the XLC most time but I'm always pleasantly surprised when I get a chance to hang in my original BB at how comfortable it is. Which is to say that they're both great hammocks, neither is uncomfortable, just different.

At this point in my life, recently having lost a nice bit of weight (5' 10" 185lbs), I'm seriously considering my single layer options to drop a bit of pack weight. I talked my friend into a hammock recently and he bought the 1.7 single layer XLC which I felt was noticeably more comfortable than my double 1.1 and a few oz. lighter. I like the slightly stretchy feel of the single. Also there may be something to how the hammock feels different to me at 185 lbs than it did at 220 lbs. I'm just saying that the 1.1 double XLC is a weighty hammock for a backpacking hammock, not that I'm complaining.

You might think more long term about the idea of owning 2 so you have options depending on the type of trip and also that you would have a loaner for a friend. One kinda decked out big old comfy rig that you can get sideways in and there's room for the dog... And something more streamlined for distance hiking trips.

Just my thoughts and ramblings,

David

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    I have the Hennessy Ultralite Explorer zip right now. On their site it says the hammock dimensions are 108" x 56" , I don't see a ridgeline length listed. The standard Blackbird is listed at 120" x 63" hammock body with an overall length of 101. Really the only reason I'm getting a new hammock is because my son outgrew the Hennessy Cub he had and I figured I'd upgrade my hammock and give him the explorer. The explorer has been fine for me I just wanted to try the WBBB. I just want to make sure the one I get isn't shorter than the one I have. I like to save weight where I can so if the standard isn't shorter I will most likely go with that.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I have started out with the HH DE and have purchased the WB XLC double in the 1.7. The reason for the choice was the length, the zip off bug screen and the winter cover. With respect to back packing I camp about 45 to 60 nights a year in the wood with 70% backpacking the Smokie Mountains or the Cherekee National Forest (which are both a lot of up and down) and with respect to the weight do not feel that 5 oz. enough to go to the shorter/lighter hammock. The other thing I like the Double for is the fact that you can slide a thermorest in between which is great for warmer temp. So with that is it is all about weight then buy a cubian fiber tarp and a grown cloth for real weight savings.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by howlinmadman View Post
    I have the Hennessy Ultralite Explorer zip right now. On their site it says the hammock dimensions are 108" x 56" , I don't see a ridgeline length listed.
    I'm pretty sure that all the "lengths" Hennessy lists are ridgeline lengths. I only have the Safari, which is listed as 112" x 52". I measured the hammock body, and it is around 12 foot. The only thing that's 112" is the ridgeline.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR and BB
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ, Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I have both, and I have the same specs as you. I prefer the XLC as I find the extra length to be much more comfortable, not to mention the convenience of taking off the netting and ability to adjust my underquilt on both sides.
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast