Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

MI > Green Timbers-Pigeon Riv./Feb 27-28 & 3-1, 2015: Big Tree Winter Hang

After our Jordan River Trip in November, it’s time to plan another getaway to the northern woods of Michigan. Our destination this time is the Green Timbers lower cabin in the Pigeon River State Forest. We were there in October and were serenaded by the sounds of elk bugling all night. The cabin provides shelter and a fireplace. That will be our base camp for the weekend. There is also a large fire pit outside.

There are miles of trails to explore in the tract and another cabin with a great view located up the hill a mile or so. The river never freezes, so water is available. Lots of hanging spots are located nearby. FYI, you might want to bring some extra long tree straps. We have some pretty big trees here in Michigan! The hike in is a little over 2 miles on a 2-track that is usually packed down pretty good by the snowmobiles. Hopefully we’ll have snow, so pulks & snowshoes wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Food: We’re packing in the dutch oven, so we’ll be carrying on our food theme from our last trip: bacon steaks, bisquits & gravy, chili, venison sausage, jambalaya, etc.

Getting there:
    From I-75, depart at exit 290 and head south for Vanderbilt. In town turn east (left) on Sturgeon Valley Road and follow it for 7 miles. The main entry to Green Timbers is the stonegate trailhead on Sturgeon Valley Road, reached just before crossing the Sturgeon River. Location details (thank you Jim DuFresne)
    http://www.michigantrailmaps.com/member-profile/3/71/

Come on out and enjoy a weekend in the woods with some fellow hangers!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...6&d=1419082577
    Last edited by michigandave; 12-20-2014 at 13:46.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    putting this one on my calendar as I have the 28th off. maybe show up Friday evening.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Awesome Dave looks like you volunteered to carry the what seemed to be the 50# Dutch oven. Can't wait for this one, maybe we will have some colder weather.
    Heading to ed's this afternoon to process another deer and hopefully camp out for the night.
    I am going to make some venison jerky and I'm thinking for a lunch venison (tenderloin) fajita wraps.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That looks beautiful! I love the cabins in Michigan. This will be the first in the past six years that I have not done a snowshoe trip to the Porkies. Wish I could make this, but unfortunately I cannot. I will keep this place in mind since it is a shorter drive then the Porkies.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Im going to watch this one . That sounds pretty cool . If the Indiana February falls thru , Ill probably trek on up there . I love northern Michigan .

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Joe, it'd probably work out to the same drive time for you as Hoist Lake even though it's a little bit further north; just 8 miles east of I75.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel bait View Post
    Awesome Dave looks like you volunteered to carry the what seemed to be the 50# Dutch oven. Can't wait for this one, maybe we will have some colder weather.
    Heading to ed's this afternoon to process another deer and hopefully camp out for the night.
    I am going to make some venison jerky and I'm thinking for a lunch venison (tenderloin) fajita wraps.
    If we're going to haul it in, we might as well make the most of it. Time to start googling dutch oven recipes. Hang on, it's Ed's oven. Can't he carry it? . I'll cook if someone cleans. Fyi, planning on a 8 or 9 am Friday arrival at the trailhead. Making the most out of the weekend.

Hammock
    Half wit, 1.1 Poly D
    Tarp
    Cuben, Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ Lots of TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hook,buckles
    Im putting this on my calendar!

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    This looks like a great time. I am going to try to make it out for it as well!

Sturgeon Valley Road is maintained all year so it will be the best choice.
    There are many "Seasonal Roads" around there... those signs should be heeded!

I just got back from hiking the eastern section of the High Country Pathway and the snow just showed up while I was there. It rained Saturday but turned to snow as it got dark. Today it was just a dusting of snow. The lakes had ice but none of the rivers or creeks were frozen.

I'm a "Down-Stater" myself so maybe someone more local to the target area could keep us updated as to how the snow is piling up?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Green Timbers is only 50 miles inland from me, so I'll post when and if we get more snow...it's shaping up to be another weird winter, weather wise.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast