Tarp
    GT funky forest
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

Pillow Talk...

Hey Everyone,

First let me wish everyone a very happy holiday season. I trust that you will all find time to enjoy this time with family and friends and that anytime you have as a push back from work is a refreshment felt to the very core.

Next I would like to ask a question...if it's been asked before, please feel free to point me to the appropriate thread.

When I lay in my hammock in the back yard for an afternoon, I rarely use a pillow. Even if I end up taking a snooze, I seem to wake up without any neck issues. However, when I hang in the hammock overnight, I have used a small homemade pillow that I whipped up in my basement. When I wake up in the morning I have experienced some neck stiffness/soreness after spending a night (and using a pillow) whereas I have never had this issue after an afternoon nap, not using a pillow. So what are your thoughts? Is a pillow necessary? Are there those of you who don't use a pillow at all? Are my neck issues due to the length of a night's slumber or because I'm using a pillow?

Looking forward to hearing other's experience with this. Thanks everybody and again, have a great holiday season.
    “A man is as free as he chooses to make himself, never an atom freer.”

Hammock
    Big Man Bridge by V_Allen
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try sleeping overnight without the pillow.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I typically use a pillow in my BMBH and WBRR and do not experience any neck pain. Although in my WBBB I seem to be more comfortable without my pillow. Just comes down to what works for you. Try a night without it. It's the only way to know if it will work for you. Cheers and Happy Hangin!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I find a smallish pillow under my neck is all I need. I have a great 16x12 down pillow with a hyper d type material that's just to big for sleeping on my back but works great for side sleeping or lounging. The one I carry backpacking is a little larger than a coke can with syn insulation and weighs 3.5 oz.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used a pillow for the first few months of hammocking but dumped it when I started seriously hiking. It took a little bit of getting used to, but I don't miss it anymore. I don't even use a pillow hanging at home. My general approach to saving weight when hiking is to try and alter behavior first, when that alone can save me weight. For example, Knotty mods and integrated bugnets are popular with those who kick their topquilt out of the hammock. My solution? Don't kick the topquilt out of the hammock.

Same with a pillow - try sleeping without one and you may find you don't really need it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I use a pillow for a full night sleep, but could see a easy transition for many without one. I like the 'cradling' effect of a pillow in the hammock, and the incorporated insulation. If I used a underquilt maybe I could do without. Dunno, still think I would just like the feel of a pillow, but thats personal preference. Definitely thinner pillow in the hammock though, so I could see going without being easy transition for those it works for....

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I don't use a pillow at all, hanging when camping or indoors, and with the sleeping position I don't feel like I want one

I use the Cub from Arrowhead. At home I use a pillow when I sleep on my back, and then don't when I am tossing to the side or stomach. So the Cub works for me because it's small, and clips to the ridgeline. I can fling it out of the way if I don't want it. I think you just have to keep trying new things until you find what you like.
    "Over the mountains of the Moon, Down the valley of the Shadow, Ride, bodly ride", the Shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!" - Edgar Allen Poe

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I use a pillow to support my neck, and support my head when rolled to the side, but it doesn't really provide much directly beteen the hammock and the bottom of my head.

Your neck issue may be because your pillow is forcing you head/neck into an unnatural angle. Try using a smaller pillow just under your neck.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters Mosquito Hammock
    Tarp
    need one!
    Insulation
    CBS expert
    Lol at the thread name. Click bait for sure. I find that a pillow when napping sure does make me more comfy, but definitely not a necessity as I can still find a sweet spot without it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast