Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    It's a tricky thing. I went the other way and over snugged the suspension (after watching Shugs video lol). Compressed the loft and got cold. That was frustrating. Did that on both the down and synthetic quilts. Now know better
    You must not be using diff cut UQ's.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    HG incubator o*
    Suspension
    webbing and buckle
    I have HG 0* incubator UQ. And as long as it is snug on all the edges against the hammock even if the UQ doesn't hit the bottom of the hammock I will stay extremely warm. At temps far below 50*. I don't know how much different the Washington set up is. Sounds like the down is compromised or is over compressed.
    The path you choose in life. Should lead straight to a Hammock!

This uq is not working spent 4 days trying to dial it in

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginyaker View Post
    Try going to a hang to get veteran's advice before you give up.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    You've got Jacks R Better equipment I realize reading your initial thread again. It's good stuff.

Take several pictures from different angles of your set up. End view, side views, how you've hung your hammock,etc. and email to JRB asking if they'd be willing to talk on the phone with you. I'm betting they'll be available for your to call. The pics will serve for talking points.

Finally I've tried to think of an analogy for how an underquilt works as I've come to understand them. Maybe this example will help.

Have you ever worn a loosely fitting top coat in cold weather when the wind is blowing a bit? I've found that I'm warmer with a coat that isn't loose around my toro, rather I'm better with one that is close contact with me but not stretched tight. I also do better when I can snug up the collar around my neck and if the bottom of the coat has a draw string, sort of tightening that up also. When I have these characteristics in place, the coat surrounds me completely and outside wind can't blow in as well as warm air is trapped. Keep experimenting.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginyaker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Try going to a hang to get veteran's advice before you give up.
    Per JSHs suggestion, have you called JRB? They will talk to you for as long as it takes. Because something is major wrong. I have never had trouble staying warm in a JRB MW- I have a 3 and a 4. I don't even have the water resistant down. The 4 easily kept me warm at 10F. I have never put the 3 to the test of it's limits, but it has been no challenge at the temps you mention, you should be more than toasty.

But you are not, so what's going on that we have not told you about already? I don't know! One caveat for my experience with these UQs: almost all my tests have been on a bridge hammock, and for me those are just so much easier to get set up correctly the 1st time and every time. Still, I did use my MW4 on a very windy 18F night on a WBBB non-bridge and was toasty. I had to fiddle with it more to get it right, mainly to get it to stay over the foot end, but once that was done no problems.

You are sure you don't have it upside down (or is that inside out?), right? If you snug up a dif cut UQ when the inner layer is on the outside, it will flatten right out and be cold.

That said, it is almost certainly a draft issue of some kind. This is what is trickier with dif cut UQs on non-bridge hammocks. You can have it nice and snug against your back but it can still be gaping down on the ends. So you need to tighten the ends up just enough to close that gap when you are in the hammock. But if you tighten too much, you will create ridges and channels, and cold air will rush in.

Do you have it just tight enough to be snug against your back and butt?

Can you have someone about your size lay in the hammock while you adjust it correctly? It's hard to see what is going on if you are inside the hammock. But from the outside, you can adjust starting with the end strings wide open, tighten the main suspension for good solid contact with the back and butt, then close the end strings just enough to seal off the gap but not more than that.

Send us some pictures of what you are doing, to help us figure out what you are doing wrong. I know you must be getting pretty sick of this by now.

Or, get a bridge hammock! LOL, just kidding, but I don't know if I have ever read a thread with someone complaining of being cold with JRB UQ on a bridge hammock. But things just seem way trickier on non bridge and diagonal position. Same with PeaPods, there are no draft issues with those things cinched tight on the ends and Velcro closed on the top and adjusted so that it just touches your back, or left loose and gaps filled as needed with clothing. Drafts are the real trouble makers with UQs.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-27-2014 at 10:26.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12