HH Expedition, ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, bags
    Suspension
    Stock

Camping around New York City

This is probably all for naught, but if all the stars are in alignment, my 40th birthday will be in New York City (late March) with the Mrs. I enjoy camping, but my wife does not. The stars will align if going to the city will make her happy enough that she will tolerate the camping part. I was wondering if there are any state parks that can be reached by train that can be recommended?

My plan is to spend the days in the city, see the sights, go to the shows, and then catch a late train to as close to a park as it can get and then hike the rest of the way. Or, do I need to be more paranoid than that and make sure we get back to camp before the sun goes down?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You can try some of these:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...74.1805209,10z

...but you're talking about the most built-up part of the entire country....so escaping to nature nearby, with train access (minus something like a 3 hour train ride + bus + renting a car + hiking)...might not be that easy.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I would imagine Harriman State Park is your best bet.

http://www.myharriman.com/take-train...est-side-park/

Though I do my fair share of night hiking, I don't personally recommend it in this area. I've never been to Harriman but would imagine it to be quite rocky. I did some night hiking up at Sunfish Pond, Delaware Water Gap and it was so rocky it took me four hours to hike 3 miles. Not fun.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Central Park is nice this time on year.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I did some night hiking up at Sunfish Pond, Delaware Water Gap and it was so rocky it took me four hours to hike 3 miles. Not fun.
    I made the mistake of climbing up the back (super-rocky) side of Sunfish pond. Never again (well, until I get in better shape that is

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    I made the mistake of climbing up the back (super-rocky) side of Sunfish pond. Never again (well, until I get in better shape that is
    I still have nightmares about it - I'm blind in one eye and my hiking pace drops drastically at night. Everything goes two-dimensional and it feels like each rock could be my ruin.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Me and my boys climbed down that to Worthington camp. That's when I learned what it means when the lines are close together on a topo
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY Hyper D 1.1 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Not sure on the legality of these sites. I grew up in the hudson valley and rules didn't matter much to me at that point.

Harriman State park is not really accessible by train. There is a harriman station (not that close and a the closer tuxedo station but both are a good walking distance on a road to get to trails. Everyone is different so I'd at least research the Tuxedo station (metro north out of hoboken)

Schunnemunk State Park - Jessup trail on this is an excellent hike. You can hike all day and almost NEVER see anyone. Also I've never seen any authority on this trail/land. I grew up right near this. Some amazing spots to hang. The trail follows a long ridge. You can actually take the MetroNorth line to Salsbury Mills station in ny (which is on the north side of the huge trestle shown on the page for this park.) You would then walk across the corn fields to catch the trail head.

Cold Springs, NY - Breakneck ridge (no camping but such an amazing hike it's worth listing) So let's say you can't camp but want to get in some nice hiking.. Take the metro north (east side of the river line, different than those listed above) to either Cold Springs or Breakneck station and walk a bit to the trail head. This is a day hike with no overnight camping allowed, but an amazing hike.

Have a great trip.

Both of these are logistical issues when factoring in the notion to leave NYC and get to camp for that evening. These are better for a day trip.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    There is supposed to be bus service from NYC to bear mountain in Harriman. I did an overnight last weekend from the bear mountain inn southbound on the AT to the blue trail to west mountain shelter. There are tons of hanging opportunities around the shelter, and awesome views of the Hudson and the NYC skyline. You can return via the yellow suffern-bear my trail if you want a shorter escape route. Nice loop hike!

You should also check out Round Valley.

It's a "wilderness" camping area since you can't car camp and have to hike in/boat in to your campsite.

http://www.nynjtc.org/park/round-valley-recreation-area

The train only runs there on weekdays but I'm pretty sure it's a direct train ride from Penn Station. You could theoretically hike from the train to the trailhead or just call a cab.

I did a two night camp there myself back in early April and it's great for hammock camping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast