GT SBPro
    Tarp
    cheapo poly11x9
    Insulation
    donations? brrr :)
    Suspension
    kammock pythons

UQP without UQ?

Just ordered a sweet UQP in breathable ripstop, can't wait to hang! Reply from 2qZq was timely and quite helpful.
    I almost went with the waterproof silny version, since summers can get pretty wet here in Ga, and my favorite place to camp is Cumberland Island, where I've seen it rain hard enough to splash sand to knee height. Donna at 2qZq probably saved me some misery and reminded me of the condensation, which down here in The Big Muggy could spell trouble. Many thanks, Donna!

So here's my question to you guys:
    Do any of you that have the ripstop version use it in warm weather without the actual underquilt, as a wind breaker? How has that worked out for you? Many nights down here don't call for a UQ, but still get down to low 70's/mid 60's, and the least bit of breeze will leave you chilly as the night wears on.

Thanks to Donna and the 2qZqrew for getting back to me so quickly, especially around the holidays.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Great product from great folks, both of them.

Yes, is the answer. It's always a good piece of lightweight gear that can help in the wet South in both Winter and Summer and everytime inbetween.

We have a group hang in Florida in July, the No UnderQuilt Hang, and the 4-5am breeze brings a slight chill. Also, in 3 weeks is FHV. Come on down and enjoy a great time.

We'll keep asking the great folk like 2QZQ to join us as well. There are a lot of folk coming from as far as Michigan and Maine and every state in between.

Last year, it was very cold, 23*F as the low. On Sunday, a front moved past and brought a shower. All UQP and Ponchos were put to use.

It's a useful piece with and without an UQ.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I don't use the 2QZQ version, but rather a DIY non-breathable sil poncho/undercover with a space blanket crumpled up into it (a semi-Garlington Insulator) as my primary bottom "insulation" down to ~50* F.

The space blanket doesn't reflect enough heat for that to be a significant portion of my warmth (I can expand on that if you want, but I wanted to include it to ensure that everyone knows what's actually going on); instead, it (combined with the undercover/poncho) stops enough air movement underneath the hammock for me to stay warm at those temperatures.

That being said, condensation is a concern in high-humidity areas (though I've yet to have a full wet-out event, and I sleep very warm and damp), but the weight savings for me are worth it (I'm carrying an additional ~1.5 oz over and above my rain gear for my under insulation). I'd also not recommend it for most folks for below ~55-60* F (I'm an enormously warm sleeper; stretching insulation ~10-15* below its rating is not unusual for me).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    My daughter and I have the 2QZQ UQPs, we use them year around. We Hang in Western Oregon and Washington State mainly on the coast, lots of moisture. Not really cold, mostly in the 50s, however, we always need something under us. I found the UQP perfect even when we do not need a UQ or pad.

I think the UQP is just enough to block the breeze from stealing heat and it keeps the moisture from the ground from cooling our butts.

My UQP from 2QZQ is very well done, I am capable of a DIY, however, Donna did a much nicer product than I would have done, there are nice little touches added that I would have skipped.

Hammock
    GT SBPro
    Tarp
    cheapo poly11x9
    Insulation
    donations? brrr :)
    Suspension
    kammock pythons
    thanks for the info folks!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think UQPs should be mistaken for insulation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't think UQPs should be mistaken for insulation.
    considering they have some insulating properties, however small, i disagree.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I have had one instance where I was lounging in the evening and the temp got just to the cutoff point where I needed something underneath when the breeze came through. I put on the uqp and it did help, but not as much as I was hoping. What happened was the breeze would move the uqp around, pushing the air inside and chilling me a bit but not as bad as before. I have the breathable ripstop.

With that said, I still consider the uqp a valuable item and I wasn't really expecting it to add much warmth. I basically just got to prove to myself what I had suspected.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I know my UQP provides a bit of insulation value (just a big dead air space). I also sometimes stuff a reflective blanket (can't remember the name). It's a breathable quick-dri item for post-op patients to keep them warm. The reflective properties help stave off CBS when it's in the 60s (fall camping in FL).

• + New Posts