Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    Several folks here have said something along the lines of, "hook it to the RL with a biner and/or shock cord." Can you be more specific? I'm having trouble figuring out a good way to attach it to the RL.
    Prussic a short loop of shock cord around the ridge line...it can then slide to and fro on the ridge line.....connect a small s-biner or similar to the bib and hook it up. Easy-peasy.
    You can see it on the video below at 1:35 in.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Prussic a short loop of shock cord around the ridge line...it can then slide to and fro on the ridge line.....connect a small s-biner or similar to the bib and hook it up. Easy-peasy.
    You can see it on the video below at 1:35 in.
    Shug

Is the S - biner attached to the fleece just by cutting a little hole in the fleece?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    Is the S - biner attached to the fleece just by cutting a little hole in the fleece?
    That is correct-o!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    BillyBob58, Thank you for the link. I don't want to cut up my light fleece blanket so I'll take it to a fabric shop and see if they can match it.

To clarify, does the loop in Shug's photo go around the person's neck and the "bib" (square) part get clipped to the ridge line? Or is that "loop" just a velcro closure that goes around the ridge line and the square part comes down and tucks into the TQ? In my case, the frost was directly above my head so maybe I can just drape fleece over the ridge line above my head and tuck it into the sides of the TQ. The idea is the fleece would just get damp instead of holding frost. Or if it did frost up, it would be easier to deal with - get out of the way - than "rain" coming down inside the sock.
    Well you have had many other good answers including from the horse's mouth: Shug! But, yes, in your last sentence, that is the idea! BTW, I have not made one yet but have just hung a fleece jacket down from my RL and it was a huge help. It was the only thing wet. But if I ever find my "round to it" I will make one like Shug's. I'm sure it would stay in place better, and would not need any tucking in.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    Man, you know how many grams one of them weighs?! That's crazy talk.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    The first thing I thought on B. was that my breath was condensing on the TQ. However, while there was a little more condensation on the TQ around my face, the whole TQ was covered with very heavy dew. I reached down several times over the coarse of the night/morning and felt my UQ but it stayed pretty dry - only a negligible bit of condensation.

Eventually, I put on my down parka and was toasty the rest of the night. Fortunately, I was car-camping while traveling or I would have had to wait for that TQ to dry out before breaking camp.

The previous 2 nights caused very heavy frosts on the sparse grass and bushes. The large temperature differential btwn day and night, >40*F, seems to be reason why the dew is so heavy. When I camp at elevation, > 10k ft, the temp differentials are around 20*F. I have only experienced very light condensation on my tarp from my breath in those conditions.

I think I'm going to try the bib approach and see if that has a significant impact. It's possible my breath was the "seed" for the rest of the condensation. There is definitely something about the micro-climate I am creating around me that's needs to be changed when the chance of heavy dew is likely.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123