Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images

sewing webbing

Inexperienced sewer... I made a stuff sack following on-line directions. It looks like a pitiful piece of ___ , but I'm proud of it! Since then, I have done a few more simple things, such as a hem in a 1.9 oz 5' x 10' hammock body.

Button holes are for the experts!!!

Planning on making a tarp, and one of the steps is nylon webbbing tie outs ( I really, really don't want to do grommets.) Any advice? Any gotcha's to watch out for? Same ole machine, needle, and thread as what I used for 2 layers of 1.9 oz silnylon?

Advice, keep sewing. Find and old lady that can sew; take a few lessons. Sew an apron or something in your lessons. Then keep sewing.

I've been making gear for a year now. My first hammock/tarp was so bad, crooked seems and the works. But I got much better. And you'll get better.

Making a piece of gear that you'll trust your life with is quite gratifying. As Bryan Frankel of ULA Equipment said, " Learn how to sew, and you can make whatever the Hell you want."

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Planning on making a tarp, and one of the steps is nylon webbbing tie outs ( I really, really don't want to do grommets.) Any advice? Any gotcha's to watch out for? Same ole machine, needle, and thread as what I used for 2 layers of 1.9 oz silnylon?
    This might help:

http://www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir

This design is pretty involved, but there are some sections that might help walk you through different parts of any general tarp.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Thanks Blackbishop. I saw this posting earlier and that's what I'm planning to do.

But - same ole machine, same needle, same settings on the machine? I've just about figured out 2 layers of ripstop, but thick webbing seems like it would need something different?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Thanks Blackbishop. I saw this posting earlier and that's what I'm planning to do.

But - same ole machine, same needle, same settings on the machine? I've just about figured out 2 layers of ripstop, but thick webbing seems like it would need something different?
    I've used the same ol' , same ol' to sew up to 4 layers of webbing. Let the machine feed itself. If you push or pull too much, you'll bend the needle and it will crash into the bobbin assembly. Although it will still be fuctional this can cause a burr to form on your needle and it will start to rip and cut the webbing as you sew. It is not somthing that is easy to notice. Though this would not be critical on a tarp, I believe this is what caused a suspension failure on one of my hammocks which promptly dropped me three feet to the ground. "hmmm...what's that velcro ripping noise? Wait, this hammock doesn't have any vel..." I was lucky as only the dog was a witness and she's not talking. After I got my wind back I was no worse for the wear. Wecome to the wonderful world of DIY gear. The easiest way to learn to sew is just to sew. Use scrap material to work on your buttonholes and seams. Some would say that you are crossing over to the dark side but I say you are walking toward the lite.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Images
    If you have problems I would try a new needle. I have sewn the straps uses 2 boxes with X's inside and with 4 or 5 rows of close zig zag stitches. I think either on works. For some reason I can get the zig zag ones to look better.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Go to your local sewing supply store and ask for the heaviest needle they have that will fit your machine. I only use two needles - one REALLY heavy (actually an industrial one in my case) for webbing, multiple layers, and heavy stuff like cordura, and one REALLY light for 1.1 oz. DWR and sil.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I used my regular machine and regular needle to sew through 12 layers of mom90 and 2 layers of gross gain ribbin for about an inch or so on my quilts. I worked fine as long as I went slow. I should add I have an industrial machine from the 50's and had put a new needle on it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I have broken some needles when sewing through several layers of material and 2 layers of webbing. I ended up manually running the machine with my hand to work through the really heavy stuff instead of using the foot peddle.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

• + New Posts