DH Sparrow /skeeter beater
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    KAQ new River/ PL
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

help me stay warm.

My setup as of right now SB pro with a internal ridgeline and a PLUQ. I'm planning a couple of day hikes at the end of march in NH. So ill be car camping not worried about weight. Thinking of a peapod might work but I have no way to sew to mod a sleeping bag. So I've come here to ask for your guidance.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    KAQ new River/ PL
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Forgot to add I don't have the funds for to drop a couple hundred on an under quilt. Thats I was I thinking peapod.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End Robic XL Fabric
    Insulation
    HG 20 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I picked up a thermarest at bass pro for about 30 bucks. Made a huge difference in warmth.

Hammock
    DIY Hyper D 1.1 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Sleeping pad (thermarest, closed cell foam, etc) + a conventional bag will get you pretty far. You can make your own down UQ or fashion one out of a comforter/blanket etc. There is quite the array of projects in the DIY section here.

Basically you spend time or money (a bit of both).. the less money you have, the more time you will spend. You can harvest down from thrift store finds and make your own UQ with very little money.

You can also find sewing machine (er I mean thread injector) on craigslist or ebay for very cheap. A straight stitch machine will go far in the gear world.

Quote Originally Posted by corrumpu View Post
    Sleeping pad (thermarest, closed cell foam, etc) + a conventional bag will get you pretty far. You can make your own down UQ or fashion one out of a comforter/blanket etc. There is quite the array of projects in the DIY section here.

Basically you spend time or money (a bit of both).. the less money you have, the more time you will spend. You can harvest down from thrift store finds and make your own UQ with very little money.

You can also find sewing machine (er I mean thread injector) on craigslist or ebay for very cheap. A straight stitch machine will go far in the gear world.
    Harvesting down of unknown quality and cleanliness isn't a path you'd catch me traveling. I know people are successful with it, but they have much more patience and tolerance than I do. Think bedbugs and/or fleas. Wash and treat anything you buy at random from a thrift store. Your luck may vary.

A used machine is a gamble. If you need to start buying feet for it, or feed dogs, or tune ups, you might as well have bought a low end machine from Walmart. People will discourage it, but if you look around, you'll see people saying they can work just fine as well. If you go the used route, take someone with you who knows how to sew, and a piece of material of the type you intend to use. Ive seen used machines that feed perfect with cotton, but you throw silnylon on there, and it barely pulls it through so you're left with a struggle to force it to work. I know because thats how I used my Craigslist machine for a year. I now have a nice machine and wow what a world of difference.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Pads will help, though they're less than perfect.

If it's a no-sew PLUQ, you can add cheap batting insulation (a single layer of InsulBright, sold at JoAnne's Fabric and WallyWorld, adds perhaps 10* to 15* of warmth) and either sew it up or simply lay the insulation in there (if you go that route, be careful to not overcompress the insulation).

Choosing a site that has good wind break around it will help, as will an enclosed tarp or sock/undercover. Wind is a thief for warmth.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    KAQ new River/ PL
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks everyone one. I'm trying not to use a pad I i dont want to lose the comfort of the hammock. I just dug out an old mummy sleeping bag. Does anyone have or know of a way to use the bag as a peapod without having to sew?

Yes its a no sew PLUQ. Adding to it seems like it may help

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by featherfoot View Post
    Thanks everyone one. I'm trying not to use a pad I i dont want to lose the comfort of the hammock. I just dug out an old mummy sleeping bag. Does anyone have or know of a way to use the bag as a peapod without having to sew?

Yes its a no sew PLUQ. Adding to it seems like it may help
    Can you get the net completely out of your way, and get a closed bag under the ridge line? If so, and if your hammock is not too wide and your bag is fairly long and wide and has a 2 way full length zipper, you should be able to make a pod out of the bag. It might help to sew some loops on the ends and add a bit of shock cord for suspension. Check out Shug's videos on using a bag as a pod.

• + New Posts