Hammock
    Dream Hammock Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    Yeti, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I will agree with the 50 post rule, it really seems to work. Nothing worse than being taken on a bad deal. Only the new members with less than 50 post and wanting to sale something "NOW" have a problem with the rule.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by quickag47 View Post
    It could be a cultural thing, but to suggest that a poster's "trust-worthiness" increases because they have 50 posts is absurd.

Really--does posting 50 "likes" improve the forum? I think not. Let common-sense prevail if a member joins, and on the same day puts up for-sale-ad would you buy from them? Not likely, if you do then--caveat emptor

Trustworthiness does increase with the number of posts and the length of membership. I also check for how the seller wants their payment. I have been a member long enough to know a bit about other members, we each have a reputation. The majority of members would not want the group to think ill of them, so they are not about to sell garbage. When I made my first purchase from HF I bought something that was on its last use, really poor shape. The seller only had a few posts (50 post rule was small, I think). The person I bought the very used tarp from, never posted again after selling off his items. I went back through the suggestions for success, I now follow all of the suggestions. I have been very pleased with my exchanges. So to my mind the 50 post rule is preventing untrustworthy folks from listing. Pretty much like in a small town, we all want to keep our nice reputation for being a stand up person.

Hammock Forums is more that an data recovery system. If I just want facts I Google or use DogPile to find quicker facts. If I want to know how others FEEL about a subject I look on this site. Yes, some of the posts irritate me..."Oh, I bought ____, just opened the box, looks good. However, that is just part of being in a community, worth it to me, just a minor irritation.

There are some people in this world who still trust. Some members read HF and begin to feel safe, like everyone is a friend or at least connected to them. People buy from people they identify with trust for some reason is thrown in the emotional mix.

Many consumers do not read, a lot of people who do read do not understand what they have read. I have a business that relies on contracts. People just sign the contract, they sign where it states "I have read this contract and understand the terms". By golly a few days later when they return the rented item, they claim they did not understand the contract, or they did not read it. Egad, I told them several times, they initialed pertinent parts and still they deny reading and understanding. Not just American's either, we have an international group of consumers.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    As already mentioned, the 50 post rule, or something like it is used by several forums I know of and it does help keep re-sellers, Ebay sellers and the like from taking advantage of good folks selling gear at low or fair prices in an effort to help members of the outdoor community.
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Once again, a civilized, adult conversation on a delicate subject.

I appreciate discussions with opposing viewpoints. I especially love discussions where everyone gets to have their viewpoint aired, without anyone taking major offence and going up in smoke. No poor manners, no name calling, just discussion. LOVE IT.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    OK, Have been biting my tounge for awhile on this one but i will have to say that it really baffles me that this subject keeps coming up?,
    I dont get it, it is part of the rules, it's been a rule for a long time, more then likely it was part of the rules long before most of us signed up for a membership, and when we signed up for our memberships we all agreed to the rules and TOS at that time.
    So what i want to know is , what is the real reason this subject keeps coming up in a new thread?
    The mods and the Admins have made it clear that this rule will stand and changing it is not an option..
    That being said lets get back to talking about hammock related stuff and move on!!
    This is just my opinion, but if i were a mod i would call it case closed and close the thread!

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY winter/summer
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ/TQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdaward View Post
    I can get to "for sale" this evening, this morning I couldn't.....don't understand that.....believe me I don't mind the "50", some seem a little obsessed with it, I was really wondering why
    I still can't read the PIF thread. I would understand a restriction on posting/participating, but that's not what I'm trying to do...I'm just trying to read the thread, and I can't, and sit here feeling like not part of the *in* crowd.

A few more posts to go.
    ...Bob

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AA2FD View Post
    I still can't read the PIF thread. I would understand a restriction on posting/participating, but that's not what I'm trying to do...I'm just trying to read the thread, and I can't, and sit here feeling like not part of the *in* crowd.

A few more posts to go.
    ...Bob
    Hi Bob. 50 posts avails certain privileges, but becoming a donating member enables access to other areas as well and helps keep the forum running.

As said, thanks to everyone for keeping it civil!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Appalachian Hammock - Original
    Tarp
    Kelly Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm for it... Will this make post #11 for me now? Sarcasm off....lol
    gl2060

A shepherd must tend his flock and at times fight off the wolves. (the preacher in the movie The Patriot.)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by quickag47 View Post
    Quality threads have 20 plus pages at least 60% of the posts are subjective, pointless and not even humorous. But, according to the forum rules these posters have "complimented" their way to being "trusted" because they liked your hammock's colour.
    You're attempting to link "subjective, pointless and not even humorous" posts to the 50 post rule? That's a reach. I'm with WV on this - it's the nature of public forums and members "that feel a sense of community and a desire to contribute." I have a pretty high post count, but most of my posts are "nice hammock," or "great trip report." People appreciate feedback - it's that simple.

As for the 50-post rule, I keep a sharp eye out for people running up their post count and report them to the mods. It's happened surprisingly often since I've been on the forums. It says a lot about a person when they do something like that. First, they find out there's a rule that won't allow them to be a drive-by seller, then they try to circumvent that rule because they think it's silly, unfair, or maybe they're just sociopaths or psychopaths who don't think the rules apply to them. For whatever reason they do it, it's a clear sign that you probably shouldn't be buying anything from a person like that. For that reason alone the 50-post rule is extremely valuable - for catching scumbags. And when the mods catch them, we rarely ever see them again, because they didn't care about being a part of a community in the first place - they just wanted to sell some gear.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    While fun for some to debate, it is what it is. Regardless of why it is there, if it actually works, or if it is fair or makes sense. There are enough of us who think it's fine because we all lived through it. It's not going anywhere.

And, even though some prefer to be more of a reader than contributor, it is actually enjoyable for others to join in conversations and become a part of the community. But, hang your own hang and if you prefer, go into the woods and hang by yourself if you prefer that.

Thank you everybody.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast