Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    This is a community forum if you look at it objectively, however, I may not have been here that long but I consider such like-minded enthusiasts to be more family than mere forum. We argue, we squabble, we help each other, we share ideas, and most of all we've got each others back when it counts. I rather like the idea of being a member for a bit before you can sell something. It keeps the spammers and such away that would otherwise clutter up and bring the forum down a few notches.

As a reader I've learned a ton in here. As a contributor I've had my keyboard thwapped once or twice but otherwise all is good. As a seller? I just sold my first items on here and they are being delivered as we speak (per USPS it's out for delivery). One of the reasons the seller decided to move forward with a remote sale was that this forum DOES require you to stick around and be a part of it rather than a fly-by-night "Never heard of him but he got my $$$" kind of place. In this case, the rules helped. (Next time, however, I'll check shipping costs first.. oi... painful lesson learned!)

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    Think of it as an online version of a guy named Guido looking you up & down, patting you up & down while asking "You wearing a wire?" A much more friendly version of it, but you get the drift.
    "I'm from Guido's Collection Agency. Our motto? We recover... you won't..."

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    And having some HF friends to say "No, it's cool. He's with us."
    Badda Bing, Badda Boom
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    warbonet edge
    Insulation
    :(
    a verified/trusted purchase I believe is the intent here. them rules look good to me

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Any chance we could have the TOS amended to include: "No whining about the 50 post rule!" ?
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

I can get to "for sale" this evening, this morning I couldn't.....don't understand that.....believe me I don't mind the "50", some seem a little obsessed with it, I was really wondering why

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Any chance we could have the TOS amended to include: "No whining about the 50 post rule!" ?
    It could be a cultural thing, but to suggest that a poster's "trust-worthiness" increases because they have 50 posts is absurd.

The current posting rules create never-ending dialogue that clutters all the valuable information within a thread; for example: "wow hammock looks amazing", "I've just ordered my Dutch Hooks too.... ", and the old chest nut-- "might have to dust off the thread-injector after seeing yours...". These comments don't improve the forum, they just frustrate users. That's why the same topics come up over and over; because many members can't locate the information in a timely manner.

Quality threads have 20 plus pages at least 60% of the posts are subjective, pointless and not even humorous. But, according to the forum rules these posters have "complimented" their way to being "trusted" because they liked your hammock's colour.

Really--does posting 50 "likes" improve the forum? I think not. Let common-sense prevail if a member joins, and on the same day puts up for-sale-ad would you buy from them? Not likely, if you do then--caveat emptor

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    quickag47, I share your fatigue at wading through gratuitous posts, but I recognize that they are inevitable on a forum with many members that feel a sense of community and a desire to contribute. I don't think the numbers are inflated much by the 50 post rule.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    As I recall the 50 post rule was also modified to include *not counting* strings of posts obviously intended to just build up 50 posts so somebody could sell stuff.

FWIW I am very happy with the 50 post rule. It keeps out the drive by sellers. I really have little sympathy for them. OTOH it is fairly easy to participate meaningfully in 50 threads about hammocks and hammock camping. Better yet drop $10 and the horizon expands considerably. Try it, you might like it. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by quickag47 View Post
    It could be a cultural thing, but to suggest that a poster's "trust-worthiness" increases because they have 50 posts is absurd.

The current posting rules create never-ending dialogue that clutters all the valuable information within a thread; for example: "wow hammock looks amazing", "I've just ordered my Dutch Hooks too.... ", and the old chest nut-- "might have to dust off the thread-injector after seeing yours...". These comments don't improve the forum, they just frustrate users. That's why the same topics come up over and over; because many members can't locate the information in a timely manner.

Quality threads have 20 plus pages at least 60% of the posts are subjective, pointless and not even humorous. But, according to the forum rules these posters have "complimented" their way to being "trusted" because they liked your hammock's colour.

Really--does posting 50 "likes" improve the forum? I think not. Let common-sense prevail if a member joins, and on the same day puts up for-sale-ad would you buy from them? Not likely, if you do then--caveat emptor
    For what it's worth, I agree with you … do I think that 50 posts allows us to 'get to know' someone? No, not really.

What it does is put up a small roadblock that hopefully is an impediment to those looking to just use the forum as a place to unload gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast