DIY Hyper D 1.1 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie

DIY RSBTR Silpoly winter tarp - build thread

I have been making my first tarp over the course of the last few days and figured I'd post photos as I go. Between the holidays, kids, work, life, I have only a small amount of time each day (or none at all) so I'm just trying to enjoy the process and do a little each day.

NOTE - I read a recent thread on the theory that silpoly (low stretch) won't require cat cuts. I am new to this world and went with cat cuts w/o even considering. I'm sure this isn't my last tarp. Also cat cuts cut grams right??!

Also I am sewing and gluing my reinforcements, but my glue (liquid nail 100% silicone adhesive) isn't doing so great. I am sewing them as well, so whatever happens happens. This is my local (car/boat/notwalkingveryfar) tarp so it's ok if it's not perfect.

Below are my pics of my progress thus far and the materials I've used.

Borrowed plans from Sunkmail (thread is here)

10 yards of RSBTR Silpoly 1.1oz in Green Tea
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by corrumpu; 12-31-2014 at 10:51.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralite
    Insulation
    Thermarest Scout
    Looks good! Did you use the string method to get the cat cut template?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I did. I attempted to use PVC with a string (think bow and arrow) but the curve didn't look right.. so I used some scrap wood and the string method. I used two tacks, mason's line and found my curve. Then I leaned the board at a 45 so the string was laying on the board and light misted it with some black spray paint instead of tracing the line. It worked perfectly and I was able to get a great line for cutting with the jigsaw.

I sewed the first stitch of my ridge last night and have two more to go this evening. I should have hemmed the edge first I guess so the area where the edge meets at the end of the ridge had a cleaner look. Again my first tarp was bound to have some issues.

I'll post more pics as I go. I love to see threads where you show off your finished product, but showing the steps is beneficial too, so that's what I'll do.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralite
    Insulation
    Thermarest Scout
    I have seen other posts in HF where the string method is referred to. I was wondering how you get the curve without altering the strings position. Did you find the spray paint provided minimal disturbance?

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 11' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Looks like a great build! I'm looking forward to watching your progress. I am in the midst of my own winter tarp project, however, I am not as good at documenting it as you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    Yeah, sometimes
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Looks good so far. Just a word of caution--exercise care to NOT let the glue/silicone get down in the bobbin/feed dog area of your machine. BTW, where in NW Florida?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    hartfl - Yeah the 45 degree lean helped keep it in place. I also misted it from about 18" out... doesn't take much to get the line and the distance allowed for no wind from the spray to disturb the line. Seemed like a perfect way. Now I have the templates for future use.

NickR - I am habitually impatient. I rush, I push and sometimes my quality suffers (ok almost always) so this time I'm really trying to slow down and try to enjoy it. Taking these pictures has helped me pause. Sounds lame i know.. but it's the truth! glad you like it and i'll keep posting even if no one is watching.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    FLScouthanger - I left the silicone for 48 hours before messing with. I have seen no transfer to the machine but thanks for pointing that out. Also I'm in FWB!! HartFL is too. When is the local hang going to happen in this neck of the woods?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    Yeah, sometimes
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Quote Originally Posted by corrumpu View Post
    FLScouthanger - I left the silicone for 48 hours before messing with. I have seen no transfer to the machine but thanks for pointing that out. Also I'm in FWB!! HartFL is too. When is the local hang going to happen in this neck of the woods?
    No local group hangs in this area that I am aware of. However, there is a statewide FL Hang in Ocala coming up in mid-Jan. I do all of my hanging at Boy Scouts and Trail Life hikes/campouts; mostly up here in the northern portion of the county--either in the Blackwater forest or Eglin reservation areas.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I'll PM you about local hangs.