Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    My delima right now it some way to seal the hole in the rear of the sack so that it will be fairly water tight.
    Just an idea: If you are using small spectra from the hammock to the rings, tie a simple overhand knot in the spectra so the knot will be against the hole on the inside of the bag. Possibly tie another overhand knot in the spectra outside and as close to the hole as possible. Cover the inside and outside knots and hole with silicon caulk.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Just an idea: If you are using small spectra from the hammock to the rings, tie a simple overhand knot in the spectra so the knot will be against the hole on the inside of the bag. Possibly tie another overhand knot in the spectra outside and as close to the hole as possible. Cover the inside and outside knots and hole with silicon caulk.
    If you're going to use the bag for storage, it needs to be able to slide back and forth on the suspension. Otherwise the tension will probably rip the hole open, especially if there's any wind around.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I want to make a roll top bag, much like the JRB compression sack, with a length of webbing that can be used in compressing the hammock when storedin the bag. My delima right now it some way to seal the hole in the rear of the sack so that it will be fairly water tight.
    IMO there's no reason to seal a stuff sack. If you don't have a water resistant system already in place with the rest of your kit, your stuff is going to get wet regardless. JMO.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    IMO there's no reason to seal a stuff sack. If you don't have a water resistant system already in place with the rest of your kit, your stuff is going to get wet regardless. JMO.
    That's kinda my though on it also, but I would still like to find a way to kinda waterproof the hole just to calm my OCD mind. .

I keep my hammock in it's own stuff sack and my tarp in snake skins, and then all of that is put inside a JRB compression sack so I guess that makes everything pretty water tight, but I know that hole is there and it bugs me.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    That's kinda my though on it also, but I would still like to find a way to kinda waterproof the hole just to calm my OCD mind. .

I keep my hammock in it's own stuff sack and my tarp in snake skins, and then all of that is put inside a JRB compression sack so I guess that makes everything pretty water tight, but I know that hole is there and it bugs me.
    Hmmm...unless your tarp is wet?

Do you not use a pack cover or liner or something too? I guess I'm just not that worried about my gear getting wet. Until recently, I've been using stuff sacks that weren't really water resistant in the least...and just a pack cover over that. I've only gotten my gear soaked once, and that was my own fault...btw try not to drop your pack in a deep creek (don't ask)

Images
    I am not sure how the bag is made, but I would have the bottom as two pieces sewn together in a flat fell or a french sem, except the portion for the hole. On the edge of the hole I would bar tack. This would make the hole seal off better than something that was just cut into the fabric. I need to make me a bishop sack this weekend, along with a gear hammock. I suppose I should make myself a MacCat clone (the other was for my wife).

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I am not sure how the bag is made, but I would have the bottom as two pieces sewn together in a flat fell or a french sem, except the portion for the hole. On the edge of the hole I would bar tack. This would make the hole seal off better than something that was just cut into the fabric. I need to make me a bishop sack this weekend, along with a gear hammock. I suppose I should make myself a MacCat clone (the other was for my wife).
    I tried that, too - thanks to HE for that idea. The problem I had there was hole placement again - for storage, you want the hole in the very edge of the bottom, so that the support line runs right along the side of the bag when hung.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Hmmm...unless your tarp is wet?

Do you not use a pack cover or liner or something too? I guess I'm just not that worried about my gear getting wet. Until recently, I've been using stuff sacks that weren't really water resistant in the least...and just a pack cover over that. I've only gotten my gear soaked once, and that was my own fault...btw try not to drop your pack in a deep creek (don't ask)
    No I don't put wet tarps in my pack . BTW, the second project after the BB sack will be no-see-um tarp skins.

Up until recently I used a pack liner like a garbage bags and a silnylon pack cover. I recently switch to a GG Latitude Vapor which is a panel loader not a top loader and the garbage bag liner does not work well with this type of pack. I also don't use a pack cover unless it's raining.

I am a little paranoid about my gear getting wet. I was once rock hopping across a stream, lost my balance, and fell straight backward in the water. Soaked everything in my pack (I wasn't using a liner at the time). Now I like everything to be at least a little bit waterproof for my piece of mind.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    No I don't put wet tarps in my pack . BTW, the second project after the BB sack will be no-see-um tarp skins.

Up until recently I used a pack liner like a garbage bags and a silnylon pack cover. I recently switch to a GG Latitude Vapor which is a panel loader not a top loader and the garbage bag liner does not work well with this type of pack. I also don't use a pack cover unless it's raining.

I am a little paranoid about my gear getting wet. I was once rock hopping across a stream, lost my balance, and fell straight backward in the water. Soaked everything in my pack (I wasn't using a liner at the time). Now I like everything to be at least a little bit waterproof for my piece of mind.
    Gotcha...I guess what I'm getting at is that the hole isn't going to make the sack any less waterproof than a drawstring closure. But if you're wanting a rolled closure, I can understand wanting more protection for the hole. Have fun figuring that out - I haven't come up with anything yet

Images
    BB, did you just tell someone to add waterproofing to their setup? I thought water idn't concern you?
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast