Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by revsbentley View Post
    As I read the Rules for Backcountry in the Smoky Mountains, it states that tent camping is not permitted but it mentions that hammocks must not be in or attached to the shelters. My assumption would be that hammocks are permitted given that they are not hung from the shelters.

It is actually stated as rule number 8: Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.

So hammocks are allowed.
    Interesting...So, does that mean you can set up
    a hammock right outside of a shelter instead of staying in the shelter?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    When I thru'd, I really enjoyed the freedom of waling until it was dark and not being tied down to some shelter or campsite destination. I would stop at a shelter and eat dinner and socialize and then pack up and get 3 or 4 more miles in. I enjoyed the quick set up and the ability to set up anywhere.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    Last I checked it went like this: In the Smokies, specifically on the AT (not other trails/parts of the park), sleeping is only allowed at shelters. If the shelters have room, you need to sleep in the shelter. Thru hikers (defined as starting some distance outside the park and presumably traversing the whole thing) need a permit in advance of entering the park, but do not/can not reserve shelter space. Thru hikers need to give up shelter space for overnight campers/section hikers who have reserved space in the shelters. If a shelter is full (because it was full when you got there, or you got kicked out to let an overnighter stay there), then you can pitch either a tent or hammock outside the shelter.

On the less used trails in the Smokies backcountry camping (hammock or tent) is permitted. The stricter rules just apply to the AT corridor.

Please correct me if I am misquoting the current rules there.

Speakeasy has it right that you want to show up late to a full shelter if you want to use your hammock in the Smokies.
    Great information! This is what I had heard as well. This kind of makes it more complicated for getting to use a hammock...have to carry a sleep pad.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow (Double)
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 Burr 0
    Suspension
    1 inch Straps
    Images
    DM, you are correct. As I checked the NPS website it says you can camp in designated backcountry campsites. there are hundreds in the park. So I check the map and sure enough there are hundreds in the park. However, there are NONE along the AT. (See what I missed because I planned to stay in the shelters anyway.) There are a couple of sites a short walk up some side trails but you cannot count on these unless you put some serious miles in. At my pace (about 10-12 miles per day) there would be no way without staying at shelters. Speakeasy and crawldaddy1, you might want to mail yourself a neoair before the park and mail it back to your home in Hot Springs. Oh the fun of planning.

I hiked the two halves of the AT through the park in 2003 and 2004 which was the transition year. in 2003, most of the shelters were fenced in and older log shelters. In 2004 I did the northern half and these shelters were all new with no fencing around them. They are nice. They were still working on the last shelter as I exited the park so I stayed in the old shelter still fenced in. Beautiful place.
    Last edited by revsbentley; 01-03-2015 at 09:53.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There is another way of hanging there, legally. You could take the BMT through the Smokies instead of the AT. There are tons of designated campsites along that trail, and it loops around and rejoins the AT just before you get out of it. It just depends on how serious you are about staying on the AT proper.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crawldaddy1 View Post
    Interesting...So, does that mean you can set up
    a hammock right outside of a shelter instead of staying in the shelter?
    Yes, but only if the shelter is full.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Easier to get dressed. Not having to "try" and get dressed inside your sleeping bag while in a shelter, or trying to do the worm squirm getting dressed inside a small tent.
    Way more civilized!

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac/Owyhee
    As I understand it the shelters are not designated backcountry sites.

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    I just ran across these rules for GSMNP myself. Makes sense (to a degree) that the park doesn't want people hanging from any part of the shelters themselves. You never know what kind of load certain parts of the shelters were designed to carry (and as we all know, hammock hang angles can have large variances on how much stress is put on a tree/beam/rafter/whatever).

Seems like if you have a thru-hiker permit, hanging outside but near the shelters is not going to get you in trouble most of the time.

Whether or not you have a thru permit, if you're stealthing in the back-country (not at a backcountry-campsite) you're clearly in violation of the rules and risk a fine.

If you don't have a thru permit, it appears that hammock camping is allowed (with reservations, fee paid, use tree straps) outside of full shelters and anywhere at a backcountry campsite.

Good luck on your thru-hike! I'd stick with your hammock and not mess with the neoair personally. The odds of getting in trouble for hanging your hammock near, but not attached to, a shelter when it is not quite to capacity seem small. The hammock will grant you lots of comfort and flexibility, even in GSMNP!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    Nice to hear that the hammock is improving your camping experience. I completely agree, a hammock can be a little bulkier and heavier but the better night sleep will make you stronger and better rested for the following day. I'm sure it'll work well for you on the Appalachian Trail

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast