DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    It'll absorb a little water into the tie outs, and you may get some water under the hems. You could redo the hems on the other side. Did you use the rectangular design or cut the ends at an angle? If you made it rectangular then use the tie outs as ridge tie outs.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think that is a fine first attempt. Cut yourself some slack: I'd sleep under it just fine. Consider saving it and giving it to a friend along with other hammock gear you have left behind. Another recruit, and they will love you for it.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Flip it...and call it an ambidextrous tarp.
    Seam seal ALL stitches and tie outs.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    My first tarp was an easy square, and although I didn't sew the edge seams twice, they were big enough to handle. Maybe sometime I will try one as difficult as yours.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jolunder View Post
    Head left/right shouldn't be a big deal at all: just flip the tarp upside down. Or is there a particular reason you didn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    I didn't really think that would work given that the seams and reinforcing grosgrain would all be on the top them and exposed instead of more covered on the inside.
    If you are worried about the seams being on the inside of the tarp, then just rotate your tarp 180 degrees so it lines up with the way you choose to sleep in your hammock. Think of a rectangular tarp (8x10) hung corner to corner along the diagonal. If you got the pitch wrong, just hang it from the opposite corners or rotate the tarp end for end and that should make it line up for the way you sleep in your hammock.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    SLD's 12' Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Hand-sewn 12ft-er
    Insulation
    Hand-sewn down
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    If you are worried about the seams being on the inside of the tarp, then just rotate your tarp 180 degrees so it lines up with the way you choose to sleep in your hammock. Think of a rectangular tarp (8x10) hung corner to corner along the diagonal. If you got the pitch wrong, just hang it from the opposite corners or rotate the tarp end for end and that should make it line up for the way you sleep in your hammock.
    this won't work with a asym ridge line... try it with a rectangular piece of paper if you don't believe..

Any time I am using expensive fabrics for any DIY stuff I build a prototype out of an old bed sheet first (not always full size). I can get these at the Op-shop (salvation army/st. vincent's) for $1-$5 and it helps to have that physical example to really wrap my head around the details of a new design.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Unfortunately, that doesn't really work. If you turn it 180°, you get the same shape that you already had. It is cut to maximize a particular shape and, aside from flipping it over so the inside is out, there isn't much else you can do to make it work.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    This might have been suggested already but just flip the tarp so it lays the correct way. If everything is seem sealed the the tarp will function just fine either way.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    This might have been suggested already but just flip the tarp so it lays the correct way. If everything is seem sealed the the tarp will function just fine either way.
    That's what I'm going to wind up doing until I get the chance to try to make another. The perfectionist in me is banging his head against the wall, but I told him to just go sit in the corner and leave the rest of us alone.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I think it looks fine, you have a serviceable piece of equipment. Be proud of it. Your next one will be better as will the one after that. The more you sew, the better you get. I really like "Mystery's" suggestion, prototype with bed sheets, then build with the expensive stuff.. Btw, you can oil treat cotton sheets to make "Oil Skins", they work fine for car camping and even Bushcraft excursions.. Great Job!
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast