DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Another DIY tarp, Introducing the Rooftop!

Hey everybody, I wanted to share my most recent venture into DIY, a silnylon tarp. This is my first attempt at making a tarp (certainly not my last). I learned a few things and all in all I think it turned out pretty good. I finally decided to start this build because I'm having hip replacement surgery in little over a week and part of my recovery plan is working towards a 3 day overnight on the Ouachita trail. With that goal out in front of me I didn't want to have to make the tarp for that trip during my recovery. Let me know what you think.

Finished dimensions are: 132x108 and weighs 26 oz with all lines and Argon stuff sack.

I started with 16 yards of 1.1oz grey silnylon 2nds from DiyGearSupply. (Enough material for this tarp and the next one) I don't know why I didn't think about using the garage floor for large layouts before this, but I will definitely use it again. I swept and cleaned up really well before I started so it wasn't an issue. Also the hard concrete floor made it much easier to "slide cut" with my shears so that job was a breeze.

I had my fabric folded over and cut both side all at once at 142 inches giving me both sides already facing the right way.

Next, I laid out my Tadpole to use as a guide. This is my most favorite tarp, in fact I love it so much I sold my Cuben tarp because I hardly ever used it! I wanted to end up with a slightly larger version of a Tadpole and with doors.

This is the step that I think I messed up on the most. I got the measurements wrong for how much offset I needed to have the doors line up the way I wanted. If anyone has good dimensions or plans other than the ones on DiyGearSupply.com let me know.
    Anyways, in this pics I just cut the sides of the tarp body from bottom to top on an angle. This step shortened the ridgeline to 130 inches but left the bottom edge 142 inches.

Next I trimmed the bottom of the tarp body down six inches and measured and marked my four corner tieout locations. They ended up being 30 inches in from either side with 82 inches between them. (if you are reading this for guidance, 30 inch doors are too short, start with a longer tarp body and angle the edge more for larger doors)

Once all my marks were laid out, I needed to make my catcut template. I used a large heavy duty cardboard box. I measured out 82 inches and cut it to length, then folded it in half to find center. I marked it at 4 and 5 inches because I wasn't sure how much curve I wanted. I ended up going with 5 inches and think it turned out great. I used the string method and it was really easy, in fact the hardest part was tracing next to the string with out moving it. Once all tracing was done all I had to do was cut out the template. (The template edge looks really rough because my garage scissors went missing so I used my pocket knife. I traced about 1/4 inch away from the template so I could get a clean line.)

With the template cut out I marked the curve on the tarp sides and cut them out all at once. Again, using the hard concrete floor made this really easy. My shears just glide right along it and gave a really clean cut. Key to success is lots of weights holding everything in place.

And that's it for cutting and layout. Next I pinned my ridgeline together to keep things in order while I moved to the sewing room. Once there I used those long 6 inch strips to cut out squares for my reinforcements and also cut out webbing and grosgrain for the tieouts. I choose to use Beastee D's on the ridgeline and Linelocs at the tieouts. This is my first time using linelocs and absolutely love 'em! Much easier to adjust that purssiks and they hold really well.

I had to decide which ridgeline seam I was going to use. I really wanted to use a Warbonnet style bound ridgeline because I think it looks great and is probably really strong. I've also heard they don't require seam sealing, but if it did leak I think it would be a pain to try to seal. So, I ended up going with a flat felled seam and in hind sight it was easy to sew and feels plenty strong. I didn't get any pictures during this process but a quick search will get you all the info you need.

After the ridgeline was sewn I pined my reinforcements in place and began the tedious task of roll hemming the perimeter of the tarp. I timed it at 47 minutes to hem the whole thing which is a lot faster than I thought it was going to be. Once hemming was done I attached my tieouts and was DONE!

A little seam sealer and this thing is ready to go.

I made my corner and door tieouts out of Glow wire and shock cord and added them to the tarp and hung it on a continuous Zing-it ridgeline.

Here you can see the doors don't close all the way but I think it will still be usable and hey I made it myself I may in the future try to fix that by adding some more material to the edges of the doors.

Overall I'm really happy with the shape and size and even though it didn't turn out exactly as planned I think it's going to be great tarp.
    Last edited by dangerous; 01-04-2015 at 13:40.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Wow! Impressive work! What a nice tarp. Isn't it great to have a big space to layout the materials!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Wow! Impressive work! What a nice tarp. Isn't it great to have a big space to layout the materials!
    Thanks! and yeah I wish I had a large work table but the floor will work for now.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Nice job! It's nice to have a large space to work on - ala smooth concrete floor. My floor has measurement marks all over it.

Hammock
    Diy DL Asym with bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Looks awesome.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Excellent build. Great documentation, others will learn from your example.

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery from your hip repair/replacement. I hear replacement is pretty quick and easy compared to what it was in the past. I know they get you up and walking as soon as possible. Having a Hang already planned is a great idea, it gives you that extra bit of motivation to get on with life.

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice work on this tarp project. I believe that you can get your doors to shut by just pitching the tarp with a little sharper angle on both sides. That will allow the edges to close up by sacrificing just a little of the inside space.

In colder weather I can set my 10'x12' straight rectangular tarp and get the doors to close.

Geometry. Good luck.

SE

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Looks good! What type of plastic hooks are that?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Looks good! What type of plastic hooks are that?
    I'm not sure of their name, I got them off of an old portable soccer net, there were like 50 of them and I use them all over the place.
    Last edited by dangerous; 01-03-2015 at 15:32.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Well done, and nicely documented.
    Good luck,