Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Montexan, I like your idea, too. What do you surf fish for? I don't care about occasional rain. Where would I fly into? thanks. I've gotta check weather. Visited Colorado Springs and dayhiked and really want to go back but I went in November and really don't want to deal with too much snow in cold for a week.
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    In the Pacific NW, typically surfperch, pacific mackerel and rockfish. Less sporty than the Atlantic or Gulf, but I think most people eat what they are allowed to keep. And of course salmon in the Sound and water-ways. But unless you have a boat, it's not really the typical fishing season.

You'd fly into PDX. The week could be all rain or blue-bird days like today and most of this week was, where a friend of mine just spent 3 days in the Sun in the Hoh Rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula. There is definitely a luck factor.

Hammock
    So far Grand trunk ultralight.
    Suspension
    Paracord
    Most of the sierras are closed of stream and river fishing. Plus they are snowed in. I would second the north coast idea. Its an awesome area.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    A friend of mine just spent last weekend in Zion hiking Angels Landing and Observation Point where the weather looked fantastic. With this Winter, similar weather might hold.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 season
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    You might want to consider Lake Havasu, Arizona. Feb. is a perfect time of the year to be out on the lake with mild temps (70's and low 80's day temps, upper 40's - upper 50's at night.) Plenty of places to shore camp if you don't mind paying a fee for a primitive campsite, but the big problem there is finding a campsite with trees from which to hang a hammock. They are not plentiful! You could fly into Las Vegas, rent a car and drive about 2 hours south. Rent a kayak under the London Bridge, throw your camping gear in and strike out from there. If you don't like lake fishing there is always the Colorado River.

I've got a kayaking/camping/fishing trip planned for early next week. Daytime temps are supposed to hit 81°...not bad for late Jan.

Your biggest issue is going to be which lures to bring and that will depend on what you intend to catch. (No live bait allowed on the lake.) We have catfish, crappie, large mouth bass, small mouth bass, stripers. Checking the fishing reports before heading out would be a good idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12