HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20 TQ/HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Bridge Speed Hooks for HH?

I want to upgrade my stock HH suspension. Based on all of the research I've done so far, I believe I want to go with continuous loops on each end and utilize either speed hooks or bridge speed hooks with an amsteel lead to the stock tree huggers.

Any reason why I should choose one over the other? I lean towards the bridge speed hooks because it seems like there is more surface area for the continuous loop to spread over and distribute weight, thus reducing stress and fatigue of the amsteel. Of course, this is all just theoretical in my mind...

Also, it looks like I can attach an UQ to the bridge speed hooks as well, thus hopefully eliminating extra/separate hardware for the UQ. Any experience/thoughts in that regard?

Thanks for any advice!

Godspeed,
    Chase

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I'm about to splice some leads for a few pair of the bridge speed hooks I got. One pair for my Ridgerunner, and the other two pair to try on gathered end hammocks.

I don't necessarily think there will be any less wear on the amsteel using the bridge speed hooks over the traditional ones (where the hook meets the continuous loop anyway), only because it seems that most of the wear comes from the hitch, instead of the attachment point to to the loop. I understand what you mean though, and it does make sense. I've thought it myself. I do think it's better to spread the load over two hooks like the bridge hooks have instead of one, like the regular ones.

That's the fun though isn't it? Trying out different stuff and playing with different setups. I know I dig it. Have fun!
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20 TQ/HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Another issue I have a question about is this....

I'm about to pick up an HH Exped for my wife to use, and it includes some DIY whoopies. Can a whoopie safely and easily be disassembled back into regular amsteel? I hope so, because I want my wife and I to have the same suspension set-up.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post

I'm about to pick up an HH Exped for my wife to use, and it includes some DIY whoopies. Can a whoopie safely and easily be disassembled back into regular amsteel? I hope so, because I want my wife and I to have the same suspension set-up.
    You will have to cut the bury on the loose end. Or I think you will have to.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images

Well if you can't easily take out the locked Brummel on one end of the whoopie, you could cut it off and still have enough left over after you pull the adjustable loop out.

Edit: Actually, you could just use the locked brummel to larks head onto your tree hugger (if you go that route)... didn't really think before I typed.
    Last edited by Banjoman; 01-06-2015 at 11:36.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20 TQ/HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    You will have to cut the bury on the loose end. Or I think you will have to.
    This way my initial thought. I hope I don't have to cut it out...I hate wasting good material.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    This way my initial thought. I hope I don't have to cut it out...I hate wasting good material.
    You won't have to cut it if you use it to larkshead onto your tree hugger. Also, if the locked brummel loop is large enough, you can slip it over the toggle of a marlin spike hitch. Try to be creative before you start cutting.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20 TQ/HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    Well if you can't easily take out the locked Brummel on one end of the whoopie, you could cut it off and still have enough left over after you pull the adjustable loop out.

Edit: Actually, you could just use the locked brummel to larks head onto your tree hugger (if you go that route)... didn't really think before I typed.
    I'm going to try my best to take out the brummel without any damage. I've never worked with amsteel so I was hoping someone may have experienced taking apart a whoopie. I assume as Dutch gear has become more prolific, users are migrating over from whoopies.

The hammock will be in my hands shortly, so I will post results!

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I'm going to try my best to take out the brummel without any damage. I've never worked with amsteel so I was hoping someone may have experienced taking apart a whoopie. I assume as Dutch gear has become more prolific, users are migrating over from whoopies.

The hammock will be in my hands shortly, so I will post results!
    It's your move, but I wouldn't be too anxious to get away from whoopie slings. They work great, and if you are hanging with your wife maybe you might want to think about the double hammock whoopie hooks from Dutch?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20 TQ/HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    It's your move, but I wouldn't be too anxious to get away from whoopie slings. They work great, and if you are hanging with your wife maybe you might want to think about the double hammock whoopie hooks from Dutch?
    I considered that option, but what really has me sold on my proposed set up is the ease of set-up and take down. The icing on the cake is the ability to set up between a wider range of distances between trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast