Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Channel suspension on full size UQ

Has anyone retrofitted a full length UQ with Channel suspension with positive results?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    If you add a channel you add a channel and it would be like any other UQ with a channel.

Are you looking for advice on how to do that?

No just wondering if anyone tried and if it improved the proformance. I have trouble with my Mt Washinton 3 can't get my butt warm

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginyaker View Post
    No just wondering if anyone tried and if it improved the proformance. I have trouble with my Mt Washinton 3 can't get my butt warm
    HH's are a bear to get an UQ to fit properly. Don't use the tieout has always helped and don't over tighten the end shockcords for sealing the ends has also helped.
    I don't think adding a channel suspension will help. You can crank those 4 corners pretty darn tight.

Good Luck

Why is the HH so much more difficult if the tie outs are not used?

BY no means am I an expert about underquilts. I'm extremely new. A few questions:
    1. Have you watched Shug's video with the title 'underquitls revisited'? In this video, he shows adjusting a JRB dual purpose quilt as an under quilt using the corner/shock cord suspension. He does it on a Blackbird, but I think the process would be similar as both are assymetric hammocks. The tie out points are different so I'd recommend try the adjustment with the Hennessy tie-outs not spread too far. I have a Hennessy Explorer deluxe and I had a 'rough night' the first time I tried using my Jarbidge. I have used the triangle thingies from AHE and they helped.
    2. On the Jacks R Better website, if you look at the 'Shop Quilts' page and select the Greylock 3. They have a video tab that shows installing a Greylock 3 on the Hennessy. Have you seen this video? Pan makes some recommendations about the end adjustments.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    HH's are a bear to get an UQ to fit properly. Don't use the tieout has always helped and don't over tighten the end shockcords for sealing the ends has also helped.
    I don't think adding a channel suspension will help. You can crank those 4 corners pretty darn tight.

Good Luck
    I agree that a channel probably won't help. Or at least it might just add an extra variable of dealing with accordion effect. I can't figure out why apparently cold butt only. Usually that is from too much compression flattening loft, but that was way more of a problem before the dif cut UQs which is what an MW3 is.

Why is the HH so much more difficult if the tie outs are not used?
    I think it is if the tie outs ARE used. If everything is not done just right, side tie outs can have a tendency to pull the quilts edge down letting cold air pour in.

If it is your butt only, consider an emergency measure of using a 1 sq. ft. piece of closed cell foam under your butt only while you get it figured out.

I am kind of stumped at this one. Seems to me I have seen very few problems reported with a JRB MW UQ before, which I attribute to the dif cut and end style suspension. Seems like most problems I have seen are with full perimeter channel suspensions due to accordion effect(quilt can move on the channel no matter how tight the suspension and sag in the middle). There are even suspension mods to fix this.

I'm sure this is not the case but I feel I must ask just in case: the UQ is not hung wrong side out, is it? Because with a dif cut model, only one side can be used against the hammock. Other way will guarantee problems.

I have seen all of the Shug videos and tried the suspension system he used as well. The video on the Jacks site is largely irrelevant because it is not on a zip hammock and the UQ has channel suspension. But i get it "don't tight the ends up to much" Jack told me 18" from outside draw cords and use the center draw cord on the foot end to accomplish this. Yes i have the UQ in the correct orientation lol. As far as the tie outs go I have tried with, without and with just one on. The instructions state to adjust the tension adjust the lark head knot at the hammock ends. I found that i needed to convert this knot to a prussik so i could increase or decrease the tension because the lark head slips. The triangle thingies might work, i guess i need make some this being one the most expensive UQ's on the market one would think it would have a more versatile suspension system. My thought of adding channel suspension is that maybe it would raise the quilt overall evenly and that coupled with the corner suspension would eliminate the accordion effect much like the HG UQ's. The temps i've been experimenting in are from mid 30's to 45 or so i'm on to day 7 now.

I have seen all of the Shug videos and tried the suspension system he used as well. The video on the Jacks site is largely irrelevant because it is not on a zip hammock and the UQ has channel suspension. But i get it "don't tight the ends up to much" Jack told me 18" from outside draw cords and use the center draw cord on the foot end to accomplish this. Yes i have the UQ in the correct orientation lol. As far as the tie outs go I have tried with, without and with just one on. The instructions state to adjust the tension adjust the lark head knot at the hammock ends. I found that i needed to convert this knot to a prussik so i could increase or decrease the tension because the lark head slips. The triangle thingies might work, i guess i need make some this being one the most expensive UQ's on the market one would think it would have a more versatile suspension system. My thought of adding channel suspension is that maybe it would raise the quilt overall evenly and that coupled with the corner suspension would eliminate the accordion effect much like the HG UQ's. The temps i've been experimenting in are from mid 30's to 45 or so i'm on to day 7 now.
    With respect to the JRB video and the Greylock 3, the fact that your hammock is a zipper should make the process easier. You don't have to try and re-position the quilt after you've entered the hammock. I admit I've only been doing this a couple of years, but I do have one additional thing you could check/try based on something in your last entry. My first quilt was a Jarbidge with the corner suspension and I use is on a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe. Initially, I had a love/hate relationship with the quilt. One night, I slept to around 35 F with no pad and was comfortable with only a Big Agnes sleeping bag and I'm a cold sleeper. Another night, I'd be cold at 45-50. I learned the angle of the suspension cords make a huge difference. You mentioned that you are using a prussick knot. Are you sliding the prussick knot up the Hennessy suspension line? I've found that I need to have the corner shock cords right at the end of the hammock with my Jarbidge. This is on top of the Hennessy cover that is "tie-wrapped" on the Hammock. When I had the quilt on the suspension lines, I had erratic results. I think the steeper angle "snugs" the quilt better. If you go to MinibullDesign's YouTube channel. Tinny had a video where he installs the Mt. Washington 3 on a Blackbird. His side views illustrate what I'm trying to describe. Just a guess without seeing pictures, but after I moved my attachment point on my Explorer Deluxe, I've had good success. Prior to that, I have woken up with the quilt beside of me because it would flip out from under me when I would move in the hammock. Have not had that problem since I moved the attachment point over top of the suspension connection point.

Yes also saw the Tinny video with the research online as well. Not a real test there it was room temperature in the room. I have messed with the hang angle i have it set at 30° before i get in so prob a bit more than that when i get in. Last night i had a brief moment where my lower back started warming up. What i did was swing my legs left ot of the foot box to see if the gap there was the problem and i think it may be but after readjusting again i couldn't replicate that again. I tried shoving a jacket on the left side with no results. I still think that the gap to the left of my foot box is the problem but difficult to solve. May have to throw a bungy over the bug net to prop up that part but no loops to attached to so once again have to mickey mouse something on there. I tried to move the UQ a few inches towards my feet to try and make the foot area less complex but that didn't work either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast