Help finding a Hammock Campground in Southern WI

Hi All - New to Hammock Camping and looking for a good place to hang in Southern/Central Wi. Looking to hike-in and fish (if possible) while field testing my new Hammock skills

Any thoughts or suggestions on Hammock friendly campgrounds would be appreciative.
    Thanks!
    MAB Chicago

Hammock
    SBP, Orange Crush
    Tarp
    HH Deluxe
    Insulation
    Burrow/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    AHE Cinch Buckles
    If you are dead set on hiking in, I'd recommend heading north to the Nicolet National Forest. There are tons of trails with tons of small lakes(i'd recommend the Luna White Deer lake area myself. Just stay away from Franklin Lake. That's very tourist heavy) and you can camp wherever you want.

I know Wyalusing State park is Hammock friendly, but that's a car camping setup. Still immensely beautiful and worth a trip though(need to reserve a spot months in advance). Devil's lake is the same way, I believe. I live in SE Wisconsin, and most of the good trails(Ice Age, ect), don't allow camping off of designated areas down here as it's all private property. You can always do the Ice Age Trail and reserve one of the Shelters, and use the trees around the shelter if you like. The Kettle Moraine Southern Unit is probably the best hiking in SE Wisconsin.

Thanks Brother Badger. Great suggestions. Love Kettle, I've gone mountain biking and cross country skiing there.

What about GOVERNOR DODGE, one of the backpacking sites, ever been there to hang?
    MAB

Hammock
    SBP, Orange Crush
    Tarp
    HH Deluxe
    Insulation
    Burrow/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    AHE Cinch Buckles
    I've only tent camped at dodge, I'm still fairly new to hammock camping so I'm not certain about where it is allowed and where it isn't.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Every Public campground in SE WI that I've gone to has let me hang. Basically consider hammocks the same as tents. They are agressively cutting down Ash trees so the hangable sites are dwindling and constantly changing. Ottawa Lake, Pine Woods and Bong have hanging and fishing with plenty of hiking. Totally agree that the KMSF-SU has some great views and trails.

Depending on where you park, all "hiking in" in SE WI is measured in minutes and feet, not hours and miles.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    used blue tarp
    Insulation
    Cheap Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1"Web Bckle Amstel
    Kettle is good all around - very busy though , Dodge is great for hanging and has great hiking trails. For Dodge bringing a canoe or kayak is also a good idea, nice little lake with great scenery.
    "There is no Wi-Fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection"
    "Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "I have never found time spent amongst nature to be a waste of time"
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Adventure may hurt, but monotony will kill you"
    "I yearn for a place untouched by man" <-- Best describes me

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Been thinking about spending the money for the WI State fees, car sticker and state trail pass but didn't know that Bong allowed hanging.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Cool Did somebody mention Bong Rec Area???

I have hung at Bong many times, they don't have any problem with hammocks. Not as many great hanging sites since they started cutting down every Ash tree in sight a few years ago, yet there are still plenty. Most sites have at least some trees. With a little creativity more than 1/3 of the sites might be hangable.

For kids, there are crafts and guided nature hikes at the Visitor Center most weekends Memorial Day to Labor Day. Less frequent opportunities outside that date range. Speaking of the Visitor Center, they have a bunch of great taxidermy mounts of local wildlife as well as some live critters. Well worth seeing! There's hiking (Lots of trails of various lengths. None of the hills are very steep and there are shady spots along the way. They have great maps for free to carry with, maps at major trail intersections and color coded posts along the trails. Even benches along the way with the bench number and phone number on it so you can call and say, "I'm at bench #11, how do I get to the Sunrise campground?"), mountain biking, ATV-ing, fishing, swimming, bird watching and camping during the summer. There are playgrounds and baseball diamonds. Horses and guys training dogs for hunting are common sights. The RC plane area can be pretty cool when the guys are doing acrobatics. Some weekends the rocketry buffs shoot off 4'-5' tall rockets. That's always neat.

http://www.bongnaturalistassociation.org/events/

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/getoutdoors/we.html

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/richardbong/

Let me know if y'all get serious about a trip to Bong. I can dig up a list of my favorite hanging sites for ya. Been meaning to update it anyhow since I saw they were cutting again this winter. I have stomped every square inch of Bong in every season, much of it regularly for many years. I have found all of it worth seeing.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Quote Originally Posted by MAB Chicago View Post
    Thanks Brother Badger. Great suggestions. Love Kettle, I've gone mountain biking and cross country skiing there.

What about GOVERNOR DODGE, one of the backpacking sites, ever been there to hang?
    MAB
    I checked out the backpacking sites this summer and they all look pretty good. I think there are six spots. I remember that #5 looked the best to me. About a 5 min walk from where you park and I think some decent bathrooms nearby (if that matters).

• + New Posts