Thread: Wool as pad?

Hammock
    NylonD 1.6
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Wool as pad?

I have a nice big wool blanket to bring with me and I'm curious if it would do me any good as an underpad? Wool doesn't compress that much, I figure if I stick it above a CCF it would also help with any condensation. Has anyone had any success trying this?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It should work down to a certain temperature (as long as you don't slide off it). But, as we always say, try it in your backyard to find out what that "certain" temperature is!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    My friend Chard recommends a wool blanket. Helps with the cold butt syndrome that can sometimes happen if your under insulation shifts.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've taped a wool blanket onto one side of a ccf pad, and a space blanket on the other side and was pretty warm (low 20s). Don't expect the wool blanket to stay in place on its own - use duct tape to secure it. Otherwise it will just bunch up. I was using a double layer hammock and still couldn't keep the wool blanket in place without duct tape.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    NylonD 1.6
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've taped a wool blanket onto one side of a ccf pad, and a space blanket on the other side and was pretty warm (low 20s). Don't expect the wool blanket to stay in place on its own - use duct tape to secure it. Otherwise it will just bunch up. I was using a double layer hammock and still couldn't keep the wool blanket in place without duct tape.
    Good idea I will try the duct tape.. I have a bunch of space blankets too.. Do you put the space blanket on bottom side of the ccf?

Hammock
    NylonD 1.6
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    It should work down to a certain temperature (as long as you don't slide off it). But, as we always say, try it in your backyard to find out what that "certain" temperature is!
    Yeah I plan on setting up in my back yard to test out different things, just trying to figure out what's worth trying.. I will report my findings after i do

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ
    Might be better used as an under quilt. Gather up the corners with some 550 cord and tie up under the hammock. Others have noted the material will shift - and during the night you will stick to it. You'll sleep much better with it outside the hammock and coming up the sides.

Edited to add - Was out camping near my car one night, got a lot colder than I thought it would and my under quilt at the time was down right cold. Walked a couple hundred yards to my car and got the fold up flannel and nylon car blanket that was in the trunk. Got back to the hammock, tied it up under the BQ and slept toasty until sun rise.
    Last edited by AKA Pete; 01-05-2015 at 22:03. Reason: Added thought

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dehler View Post
    Good idea I will try the duct tape.. I have a bunch of space blankets too.. Do you put the space blanket on bottom side of the ccf?
    That's what I did. I'm not entirely convinced the space blanket helped. The wool definitely helped me forget about the condensation - it was kinda hard to ignore without the blanket.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    When caught out without the right amount of insulation for the weather I have used a wool blanket as additional insulation to my UQ. I put it between my hammock and my summer weight down UQ by tying it at the corners and a couple of spots in the center area then tossing the lines over my ridgeline so it would be tight against me. Then I put my down UQ under it and snugged it up as usual. It worked pretty well and I took my 50/60F UQ down to 35/40F with no issues. I have also used a wool blanket as a TQ plenty of times.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    NylonD 1.6
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    When caught out without the right amount of insulation for the weather I have used a wool blanket as additional insulation to my UQ. I put it between my hammock and my summer weight down UQ by tying it at the corners and a couple of spots in the center area then tossing the lines over my ridgeline so it would be tight against me. Then I put my down UQ under it and snugged it up as usual. It worked pretty well and I took my 50/60F UQ down to 35/40F with no issues. I have also used a wool blanket as a TQ plenty of times.
    Thanks, I'm trying avoiding the UQ route until I really feel I 'need' it.. I probably will in the long run I just don't want to plonk down $300 for something until I've determined it's what I really need. Especially if it's only going to be used in the winter.. Which beings up another thought, for down UQ's would a 4 season really be usable in all 4 seasons or just winter? Would you want to hang a 0* UQ under your hammock in 50+?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast