Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Elephant on the night table - gear stowage while sleeping

Friends:

I'm sure many of you have worried about this topic. I call it the "Elephant on the night table" because it is latent and begs a brilliant solution:

How do you secure your clothing, pack shoes etc. when you go to sleep at night in your hammock? I always have this fear that in the morning something will be missing. In a tent you can put most of your gear inside where it is safe with you.

What are your thoughts?

Migs

I put everything in my backpack (except boots) and hang the backpack on one of my hammocks ends. I use a carabiner right where the suspension meets the hammock. It looks weird at first because but once you lie in hammock its fine. I got the idea from one of shugs videos.

Boots just stay right underneath me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is what I do. Most of the time I am in the backwoods and don't worry as my gear has always been where it ws when I crawled into narcoleptic slumber in my hammock.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I hang my pack with all gear reloaded in it. Shoes go under hammock. Sometimes I bring a small Alite chair and pack and boots go on that. Just get it off the ground so fire ants don't get in.

Images
    I use a continuous ridge line to hold up my tarp and I hang many things from it. One day I was caught in a couple of rain storms during the day and all my clothes got wet so I hung them on the ridge line to dry and went to bed. That night the mother of all storms hit and my clothes blew away. I got up the next morning and had my jockey shorts and a tee shirt and shoes. I had a change of clothes at the other end of a 3 mile nasty portage. I went back in the woods and found my shirt and pants. Makes it a memorable trip! I still hang many items from the ridge line but I use binder clips as clothes pins.

I also hang the reloaded pack on the hammock suspension, usually with the pack cover on. I once had some kind of small animal chew on a pack. Boots also hung (If it is raining hard I will put the boots under me on the ground hoping they stay drier. . Damp or wet clothes hung on the ridge-line or a separate line. Food and kitchen stuff far away hung in a bear bag or canister. Anything I might want at night hung on the ridge-line or in the integrated stuff sack on the hammock.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Like most of the folks here, I load my pack, put the cover over it, and hang it from my suspension. My boots get the laces tied together and hung from the other end of my suspension. I have crocs that I use at night for that midnight walk and they get looped together and hung inside my HH with me along with a ridgeline bag that keeps my personal items secure (glasses, ereader, wallent..small stuff). Food is hung in a tree a goodly distance from me or placed in a bear box/car if I am family camping.

I figure if someone is moving stuff at the head/foot of my hammock, I am going to know about it.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I don't think about it. Hanging stuff from the ends of the hammock or in the shelf (Warbonnet Blackbird) where clothes, headlamp, book, camera, live. Shoes go on the ground on either side of a small plastic bag I use to put my sock feet on, underneath. My dog sleeps under one end of the hammock on her foam pad. Food goes elsewhere in a bear canister.

Stuff in a tent is just drier than stuff you leave outside. Never had anyone steal anything. The wind, once, took my hat, which I now clip to the hammock end.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Hang on my head end for me.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    EE Revolt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wake up with my gear all over the place... Just like I left it

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast