Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

Who's cold weather testing this week?

With the low temps this week, who plans on testing some cold weather hanging gear and what is the predicted low?

I plan on hanging in the backyard Wednesday night under my Superfly in a DIY gathered end using my 20 HG TQ and UQ, UQP, wearing merino tops and bottoms, wool socks, and my Black Rock down hat. I'll have a set of handwarmers to throw down in my TQ if my feet get cold. The projected low is around 10 degrees.

That's cold for Alabama!
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 01-06-2015 at 12:51.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I plan on doing the same. Low predicted is 7°F.

I will be using my Ridgerunner, with Incubator and Burrow 20, and spindrift sock. Snugpak jungle blanket in between the Incubator and hammock, and a JRB micro fleece quilt liner in my Burrow. Smartwool socks, fleece top and bottoms, and fleece beanie with face thingy built in... kind of like a poor man's balaclava.

Oh... probably pitch the Superfly for more wind blockage.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB Cat
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Me, skwatupu, and pariahartsltd are hanging this Friday in NE Wisconsin. The low is -9F w/o windchill. All of us recently finished up creating our gear pulks - so we're really excited to play with those. I just got my new Dutch sock in the mail yesterday and tried it out, and I'm excited to use that. Other than that, no 'new' equipment. We're going to Frozen Butt Hang in MN next week, and it looks like this weekend in Wisco is going to be more 'frozen' than Finland, MN!

That does cold for Alabama (I think?), but it looks like you have the right gear for the job.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

I will be out on my Birthday tomorrow night in western mass. Suppose to be anywhere between -11 to -13F depending on which app you use. I will be using an XLC with over cover with an 0* incubator with 3-4 oz overstuff. A 20* Phoenix stacked over. Then a 0* burrow with 3oz over stuff and a 20* burrow inside that. And base layers, socks, shemagh, fleece balaclava, and a hat or two. Should be pretty darn toasty.
    Last edited by Nighthauk; 01-06-2015 at 12:31.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    -10F tomorrow night. I'd love to test but I don't have anywhere to hang outside at home yet...probably won't ever bother with it.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB Cat
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    I forgot to post my hangin' gear for Friday!

I'll be using my HG Phoenix 0 probably stacked with my JRB Shendandoah underneath the Hennessy Expedition, topped with my Kelty Ignite 20 sleeping bag, wrapped in my Dutch Sock, all underneath a JRB Cat tarp.

I call my insulation setup the Dutch Oven.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images

Been waiting to use my 0° Incubator and it appears that this week will be a great opportunity! Tomorrow's forecast for N. Mississippi is 10° with wind chills of around 3°. Yes I know some may say "overkill, look at that ol' southern boy with that 0° Incubator". I grew tired of stacking UQs last year and do plan to venture north to a colder region next year to join our northern brethren at a group hang. I am hoping for more single digits between now and the end of February. Now to decide between the BIAS, SLD, BMBH (really like my BMBH for winter), or the WBBB for the rest of the week. Other planned gear: Columbia OmniHeat top with wool sweater, Patagonia Capiline 4 bottoms, wool socks, of course gloves and beenie, HG 20° Burrow with 2oz overstuff and Multicam Superfly. I will more than likely drag a PLUQ into the hammock with me just to supplement my Burrow if I need it. Good luck to all you other southern boys that are going to hang tomorrow! My personal low was last year at 8° with stacked UQs.
    Last edited by Chriss; 01-06-2015 at 22:19.

Images
    I've been testing on my deck. Over the last week -6F was the best nothing worth its own thread.
    Been testing different head wraps to trap my breath. I'm using a new XLC with winter cover. It does not vent very well
    with just a side zip. So if I can't vent I have to trap.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WS/TH
    I plan to hang tonight. Forecast here is 11. That would be a record for me. If all goes well, I may try tomorrow night- forecasted to hit -1. Really need tonight to be good as I plan to be at the MO-FBH this weekend and Friday looks to be 11. I have quite a conglomeration of stuff. I'll post about it tomorrow if it works.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I also plan to hang tonight. Forecast low of 6 with -14 windchill. Will be a record for me. Testing out the UQ I recently made my wife.....has 4+ inches of loft, so I should be good!
    My head is an animal

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast