Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walkinslow View Post
    Is it possible the hang angle has anything to do with my problem? I'm at wits end as I need to get this figured out before I start my hike in March. Please help.
    It has to be something like this. If my 20° UQ consistently keeps me warm in single digits, and the 0° UQ didn't quite cut it at -5°, something is going on. There was a lot of wind last night though. Plus I suspect my hammock angles were all off, and too tight. But it was 0° and windy at 10PM so I just had to go with it.

Images
    Excellent Report Markr6. I love the details and picts thanks.

Any water or ice in the UQP this time?
    Stacking TQ's works in pinch but as you said and I also found out they can get unruly messing with that much stuff in the pitch black dark and cold.
    The colder it gets the simpler I want things.
    That little bit of frost doesn't look too bad for the temps you were in.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    Congrats on the new low!

I stayed outside again last night. It only got down to 5º but Christine wanted to beat her PB of 24º a couple of months back.

I'm completely sold on on 2 things - The Thinlight Gossamer Gear pad and the Freezer Flaps. A tarp is wonderful for catching and stopping most of the wind, but there are plenty of times when the occasional gust will get through and having that little extra directly cocooning me - I feel absolutely nada!

And the pad - I guess it keeps my kidneys super warm because I haven't had to pee either time. Nothing has kept me from having to pee until I started with that pad. I thought I'd hate a pad in the hammock but it has really been no trouble at all so far.
    Congrats Christine on your new PB of 5 degrees. Nicely done.

SirMarkos was you GG pad a full length, 3/4 or just a small footbox pad on the kidneys?
    What I was thinking is if a small patch of ccf on the kidneys would keep one from needing to get up that would be a major
    improvement since most of us have to do that at least once a nite.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Hg Phoenix WL TQ
    Suspension
    adjustable
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Is it possible that your TQ/hammock footbox is over the shock cord at the foot end of your UQ? That is a common mistake and causes a huge gap. The shockcord must go over the TQ and hammock foot end.
    Shug
    I checked it several times and it was on top of the footbox. I can't figure this out. The first test it was colder and the wind was blowing about 35 mph so I thought that was the problem, after last night I'm confused.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Hg Phoenix WL TQ
    Suspension
    adjustable
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    It has to be something like this. If my 20° UQ consistently keeps me warm in single digits, and the 0° UQ didn't quite cut it at -5°, something is going on. There was a lot of wind last night though. Plus I suspect my hammock angles were all off, and too tight. But it was 0° and windy at 10PM so I just had to go with it.
    I'm going to play with it this afternoon and see if I can figure something out. I plan on hanging again tonight.
    Thanks for the reply.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walkinslow View Post
    I'm so frustrated, I tried to hang again last night. The temp was 38 when I went out and it got to 30 by the time I went inside around 7:00a/m I have a brand new hg 20 degree Phoenix uq and a new wl tq rated at 15 degrees.
    I was real warm on top (toasty ) but was cold on bottom all night. I tried everything that I've read on adjusting the uq. I tightened till I could tighten no more, no luck still cold. I loosened up all adjustments and then started tightening a little at a time until I was once again out of adjustment. This went on for 6 hours and no warmth. Ugh!!! I was really cold on my butt and back, it felt like I was laying in just a hammock with no insulation.
    Is it possible the hang angle has anything to do with my problem? I'm at wits end as I need to get this figured out before I start my hike in March. Please help.
    Hi walkingslow. There are so many peeps posting about going out and then reporting back how it went that trying to troubleshoot your issue is getting lost in the mix.
    I'd suggest your own troubleshooting post that is specific to your problems.
    Since you've tried most of the things we talk about on the forum your post should be as detailed as possible and picts of your setup would really help.

hth

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Excellent Report Markr6. I love the details and picts thanks.

Any water or ice in the UQP this time?
    Stacking TQ's works in pinch but as you said and I also found out they can get unruly messing with that much stuff in the pitch black dark and cold.
    The colder it gets the simpler I want things.
    That little bit of frost doesn't look too bad for the temps you were in.
    I forgot the UQP! This would have been the perfect night for it too.

Hammock
    Dutch hyper D
    Tarp
    Silnylon by Boston
    Insulation
    Still have to make
    Suspension
    Speed hooks toggle
    First night ever in a hammock and I went inside the house at 5 am not because I was cold but my sleeping pad shifted and I wasn't sleeping that good. When I came in it was 13°f . Overall very happy with results. Hope to have the sleeping bag under quilt done today so I can try that tonight.
    Scott

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ and Diy TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle/Kev
    Images
    Took my son to Uwharrie last night for an over nighter. I bought a Incubator 20 in November. This was the first time to really put it to the test. Got down to 17*. Not bad for North Cacalaki. Stayed very warm. Very nice work from Adam & Jennifer @ Hammock Gear.

I am experimenting with different suspension methods. Tried some of Dutch's clips with a 2mm shock cord set up. Worked okay, but still needs some tweeking.

My son used my DIY UQ. Had a great hang. Now I have enough confidence to take this thing out for an extended trip.
    "If you have to run, put the sissors down first"

Images
    I got out last night as promised. Not a personal record or really anything to write home about. One matter of note though. In her incessant concern for my personal safety, my wife must have asked me a half dozen times, "Are you sleeping out tonight? It's really cold out there.", to which my reply was "That's the point.". So I decided to put to rest this matter of which she believes I am constantly lying about. When I finally woke up this morning (around 7 a.m.) I grabbed the Acurite I had hanging on the line with and brought it into the hammock with me. I snuggled back into my sweet spot and drifted quickly off for a short nap. About twenty minutes later I woke up and looked at the gauge. The low last night was 24* but inside my downy goodness it was a balmy 77*. This was warmer than it was in the house when I got inside. I showed this to the wife to which she just shrugged her shoulders as if to say, "You're still crazy." I may be crazy, and if I am I don't want to be sane.

In the spirit of photos or it didn't happen......

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast