Hammeck netty & NX-270
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 40*
    Suspension
    Whoopy-Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatHanger View Post
    When stacking HG top quilts, a small piece of cord tying the mini D-rings of each quilt together would probably harness that unruly down.
    You can do this but I don't think its necessary. Plus its nice to be able to lay your arms on top of the first bag if its not that cold, and then if you need to put your arms under both quilts. My hammock has built in bug netting and a weather shield so my quilts never flop out or hang over, it all stays right on top of me no matter how I move.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I hear you. I'll probably do it anyway because I think I move around while I sleep. Apparently I talk when I'm asleep... so I probably move enough to separate the quilts if I don't have them snapped around my neck.

But as always, HYOH. I'll probably try it both ways and see what I like.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Layered my underquilts. Hammock Envy, then 3/4 length 25F Jarbidge, full length 25F New River, and covered by 2QZQ UQ protector. 15F last night and plenty warm.
    20150111_094216.jpg
    20150111_094248.jpg
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    I personally find that the top quilt is far less important than the bottom quilt, but I wear puffy layers to sleep when it's cold out.
    The extra clothing adds lots of warmth on the top, but doesn't add much warmth to the underside because of the compression.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    I personally find that the top quilt is far less important than the bottom quilt, but I wear puffy layers to sleep when it's cold out.
    The extra clothing adds lots of warmth on the top, but doesn't add much warmth to the underside because of the compression.
    Exactly. When testing last weekend at -5°, it was so darn cold setting up at 0° in the wind that I didn't even bother taking my down jacket off to sleep. Pretty amazing how well that works. If your jacket has a hood, wow. Almost impossible to get cold!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I stacked my UGQ TQ 50F inside my UGQ TQ 0F and did just that, tying the mini-D-Rings together, snapping the upper corners together, and tying the draw-cords together. After getting out to pee, it's pretty tricky getting back in and keeping the layers adjusted, even when tied, as they shift around. I'm going to look for some little clips so it's easier to connect/disconnect the TQs.

At -1.8F, with gust up to 25mph, I was quite cozy in my WBBB with stacked UGQ BQs (full-length 40F inside 0F), and UQP, all inside a WB Sock, under a WB SUperFly tarp. Not much room in there!

Quote Originally Posted by GoatHanger View Post
    When stacking HG top quilts, a small piece of cord tying the mini D-rings of each quilt together would probably harness that unruly down.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    So I put my Closed Cell Foam foot pad in between the inner and outer quilts, and it was much easier to get my feet situated. I did fine at -6F last night. Some frost, but a gap in sock and bugnet by my face minimized the fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickNH View Post
    I stacked my UGQ TQ 50F inside my UGQ TQ 0F and did just that, tying the mini-D-Rings together, snapping the upper corners together, and tying the draw-cords together. After getting out to pee, it's pretty tricky getting back in and keeping the layers adjusted, even when tied, as they shift around. I'm going to look for some little clips so it's easier to connect/disconnect the TQs.

At -1.8F, with gust up to 25mph, I was quite cozy in my WBBB with stacked UGQ BQs (full-length 40F inside 0F), and UQP, all inside a WB Sock, under a WB SUperFly tarp. Not much room in there!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Re: "but a gap in sock and bugnet by my face minimized the fallout."

I think this is a key point to avoid the frost buildup. Not only because the moister air from your breath is more likely to exit the vent, but also because it is near the top and so the warmer moister air travels up and out, drawing drier outside air in through the fabric of the sock.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234