Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1der View Post
    I don't know if you've ever hiked in the Cohutta Wilderness, but it also subscribes to that same theory of "switchbacks are for wusses." It even extended the theory to include bridges!

Those astericks made me laugh!
    Nope, but it doesn't surprise me much. Designated Wilderness Areas are supposed to be hard; they get minimal trail maintenance due to the Wilderness Act's requirements.

You're welcome!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBRR/Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE/JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would be interested in accompanying you. Would this trip be over a weekend or weekdays? I am available either.
    FYI, I hiked from Bly Gap to Fontana Dam last April, it was great!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I don't currently have a bear canister, and I hesitate to buy one if I won't use it much. I guess I need to research where else on the AT it is required (I know GSMNP for one).

I am about a 10-15 mile per day hiker, so if they are required between Woody Gap and Neel Gap, I will probably be forced to get one. The AT Conservancy website says they are only required between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap though. If that's true, I can probably just plan my trip to not camp in that section.
    You are correct, the bear can is only required for that 10-15 mile stretch. I do not believe that a bear canister is required for GSMNP, but it will likely be soon. I personally prefer to carry one all the time anyways as it also acts as my stool and set up in camp is a breeze. YMMV

The hardest spot without water was from the base of Sassafras Mtn to Justice Creek. The distance wasn't bad, but the elevation in between made it tough and I was dry by the time I arrived there.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    You're welcome to borrow my smaller bear vault if you thought you needed it, but I think the area where its required is easily avoided. Its a relatively small stretch. I will warn you, though, that the section immediately after that has had some bear activity for a while - I don't know why that area has not been included and it would not surprise me if it is soon. I think Jarrard Gap is part of the restricted area, so don't plan on camping there. But up the section from Woody Gap to Jarrard is not in the restricted area.

As for water, one major difference is that you'll be filling up from springs, either directly or from where the runoff crosses the trail. This is a lot different than filling from the river or creek like on the FHT. I carry a set of 1,2&3L bladders and I find I sometimes have to use the smaller ones to fill up with due to having no deep troughs to submerge the bladders or otherwise scoop water. It doesn't take much flow to fill one, but sometimes there's not much room to maneuver the bladder opening so that it fills efficiently. I'd also rely on other hiker's opinion of where to fill up. You don't want to be lugging a lot of water around if you don't have to, especially up the larger climbs.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I weigh over 200 lb, so I don't think I could use a canister as a stool, but a small table might be nice.

I always hang my bag via the PCT method, which I believe is harder for bears to crack. I guess I'll have to do some research into bear canister requirements. Thanks for the offer to borrow one btw!
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    p.s. area I was talking about is from Neel Gap to Cowrock. Specifically, I was going to go camp at Wolf Laurel Top for an overniter and someone warned me about it. I believe the Baggs Creek campsite is one that's been frequented as well.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I weigh over 200 lb, so I don't think I could use a canister as a stool, but a small table might be nice...
    With the lid all the way on, it can hold vastly more than 200#. If not, it wouldn't be a very good bear canister as most bears I've seen would be able to get into them by just sitting on them, let alone throwing them or biting at them.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    I'm over 200lbs and I have sat on a bear canister many times. In fact, that's the best feature if you ask me.

I would also highly recommend guthook's app. It even has pictures of campsites (official and unofficial) so you can plan your hang ahead of time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12