Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I've had down come through a few different kinds of DWR. I think calendaring helps, but AFAIK DWR isn't necessarily downproof.

But even so, the Wallyworld DWR hasn't given me a problem other than a stray quill here and there...which is what my down bag, the JRB quilts and the PeaPod have all done. So I wouldn't hesitate to use Wallyworld DWR for a down quilt.
    Man, Im glad you mentioned that...I was gonna ask about it. When I was on the Foothills trail, a quill came out of my No Sniveller and floated around inside my hammock all night. I inspected the quilt, but didnt find any holes. Im generally very careful with all of my gear, especially my quilts. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    One thought on downproof is whether you are talking down or feathers. All the leakage I see in my montbell bag and through my nest is what I think are feathers. I think the hard end of the feather pushes through the shell. After I finally stuffed my own quilt, I can not see down getting through DWR on it's own. There is no sharp edge to make a hole.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most down gear leaks a bit, but not much. It's not actually the down that leaks, but the quills. Lower quality down has more quills than higher fp down. If you see part of a quill poking through, reach through from the other side of the quilt and pinch the shell until you're also holding the quill from inside, then pull the quill back inside the shell if you can. Not hard to do...just hard to explain on a keyboard.

Edit - HE beat me to it...feathers have quills (the sharp end) and down doesn't. So I guess most fabrics would be downproof if you have pure down...but even 800fp still has remnants of quills in there. No big deal.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Thanks for the tip. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Most down gear leaks a bit, but not much. It's not actually the down that leaks, but the quills. Lower quality down has more quills than higher fp down. If you see part of a quill poking through, reach through from the other side of the quilt and pinch the shell until you're also holding the quill from inside, then pull the quill back inside the shell if you can. Not hard to do...just hard to explain on a keyboard.

Edit - HE beat me to it...feathers have quills (the sharp end) and down doesn't. So I guess most fabrics would be downproof if you have pure down...but even 800fp still has remnants of quills in there. No big deal.
    Personal victory of finally beating Jeff to the punch.

I was really impressed with the down that I ordered from featherind. I have not ordered anywhere else. I stuffed both quilts by hand and could did not feel any feathers in it. I ordered 95% down and 5% feathers, but I haven't found that 5% yet.

Images
    I have had a bit of down come through my WM Highlight, but not very much. (it was definitely down)

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    My Western Mountaineering Apache has never leaked down, except once. When I got up on the second morning of the Mt Rogers trip I had down sticking to my thermals. It really surprised me. I have not had that problem before or since.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    The highlight uses very light fabric.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I always wake up with little strands of down (no quills) sticking to my midweight fleece thermals. Never noticed it with my silkweight polyester ones.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    For what's its worth, I just spent my first night with my down quilt. No signs of any quills or down. I'm not sure if that is a product of the down I used of the mom90, but that made me happy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast