Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarp Sizing

Hammock
    Eno Single Nest

Question Tarp Sizing

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to get a new tarp to replace my current one which is less that usable. (A.k.a. its only usable in the kind of weather where i don't need it.)
    Thus i was wondering what sizes of tarps every one carries and square v.s rectangular v.s hex? etc. I'm looking for something to be used in rain and probably snow too. Weight isn't really an issue for me as my current tarp weighs roughly a pound and a half and doesn't cover much at all.

Thanks in advance
    Bones

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    If you want to use this tarp for snow id get a huge one with doors. Right now i use a 11.5 by 10 rectangle im in nh so it can get cold here.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've found a MacCat Standard to be the right balance of size, weight and coverage for most conditions I hike in...even a lot of winter conditions when I'm solo. I also use the JRB 10x11 in winter or sometimes when I want to hang with my son under the same tarp. That's a lot of tarp to carry when you don't need to coverage, though...so it's nice to have both.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Hey Bones. You'll find that the most common ridgeline length of hammock tarps is 11 feet. That gives good end coverage on almost any hammock, while still being short enough to keep it lighter weight and fit between narrow tree distances.

Standard silnylon (silicone impregnated ripstop nylon) is around 5' wide, so you will see 11x10 as a common size. That gives very good coverage to keep dry under while you do any camp chores in the driving rain.

Hex tarps are a bit lighter because they have the corners chopped off. Lighter, but less coverage (usually still plenty even in a serious downpour).

I'll most likely be selling two 11x10's shortly (19oz and 20oz). PM me if you or anyone else is interested and I'll probably put them up on the 4sale section when I get a chance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sclittlefield; 08-31-2009 at 21:56. Reason: added pics
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been using a MacCat Deluxe (130" ridgeline and 120" width) and that works great with either my WBBB or Speer. I recently had Brian make a Spinntex version in the Deluxe length, but in the Standard width (8.6oz). The Standard width is 18" less on each side, but still seems plenty in all but, possibly, the very worst conditions. So a 10'10" length and 10' width is plenty, and a 10'10" length and 8' width is still enough.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Eno Single Nest
    Thanks for all the great info.

I also noticed that most of the tarps i see on here have cord or webbing loop type tie-outs. Is there a reason that gromets are getting rare? Is it just the weight?
    Bones

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    Thanks for all the great info.

I also noticed that most of the tarps i see on here have cord or webbing loop type tie-outs. Is there a reason that gromets are getting rare? Is it just the weight?
    Nice observation Bones. You're right on. You'll find grommets on the cheaper (in lots of ways) tarps because they're fast and easy. The problem with grommets are that they will rip the fabric much quicker than webbing loops. They also cause havoc in the stuff sac if they get bent or damaged, possibly causing more tears when you pack it up. Grommets are also not field repairable. Webbing is definitely the way to go.

You'll see OES and some others have D-rings on webbing loops. That is a great way to go. Not only does it look amazing, if the D-ring ever does break you can just use the loop - no problems.

Hammock
    Eno Single Nest
    That's a really good bit of information there. I was going to put gromets on my current tarp (because they're fast and easy, go figure) to try to make it more usable but that really changes my mind. I've decided to finally give up on that tarp (even though i swore i wouldn't ) it would be too much work to make it worth it. Also, what are the benefits of silnylon vs. other tarp materials? I've gathered that it is quite a bit lighter but is that all there is to it?
    Edit:
    I've also seen some variation in ridge lines; some being a single long cord from anchor point to anchor point. While others have two cords, one affixed to each end. Is this solely based on preference or does it have more to it? materials perhaps?

There seems to be a great community spirit to these forums that is really helpful to the new hangers out there (like me).
    so again, thanks everyone for the great and prompt responses!
    Last edited by Bones; 09-01-2009 at 01:19.
    Bones

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I've decided to finally give up on that tarp (even though i swore i wouldn't ) it would be too much work to make it worth it.
    Aww, don't give up yet. Adding webbing loops is pretty simple and can be done even if you don't have a sewing machine (but it's certainly faster with).

Also, what are the benefits of silnylon vs. other tarp materials? I've gathered that it is quite a bit lighter but is that all there is to it?
    Silnylon is significantly lighter and that is the primary reason, but there are other benefits as well. Because it's so slippery it sheds faster than some other materials, but that wouldn't really be all that noticeable except in some odd situations maybe. It's waterproofness can last a bit longer than coated fabrics, which tend to have the coating peel after long term sun exposure.

Silnylon is readily available at many outdoor gear fabric companies and it's cost to benefit ratio makes it a popular material for waterproof applications.

That said, there are other materials which are even lighter (spinn, cuben), but they are also a bit cost prohibitive (~$20-35/yd).

I've also seen some variation in ridge lines; some being a single long cord from anchor point to anchor point. While others have two cords, one affixed to each end. Is this solely based on preference or does it have more to it? materials perhaps?
    This is a preference thing. The one long line (if your tarp is semi-permanently fixed to it with prussiks to slide in place and tighten up on the line) is definitely one of the fastest ways to get your tarp up in a hurry. It also allows your tarp to rest on the cord, rather than strain the ridgeline. But... that also means in winds the cord could act like a saw on the tarp if it's not slippery enough, and some have had issues with the contact drawing water through and dripping.

One cord on each end has some advantages also. Primarily, it lightens your load (albeit not very much) by having less cord. There's no foreign substance in contact with the underside of your tarp to cause capillary water action. But, it does put more stress on your ridgeline (which should be able to take the stress anyway, but still).

Hope at least some of that is useful. I'm sure others will fill in all the gaps I left.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    It's best to just accept that there is no be-all, end-all answer when it comes to tarps. You'll probably end up with several of them in the long run.

I've gotten good rain coverage from my Warbonnet Big Mambajamba, but it doesn't close up, so isn't as good for cold weather. My custom OES 12x10 is phenomenal for cold weather and ultimate wind-blown rain protection, but is pretty heavy. It's also great for hanging two hammocks under one tarp, in less extreme conditions. My speer 8x10 is much lighter, and can close up surprisingly tight for cold weather protection, and even offers decent rain protection, but there's very little extra room under the tarp, so it's not good for giving you a place to sit and relax while you wait out the storm.

If I had to choose just one tarp, it would be my OES 12x10 - it's just so crazy versatile. Other strong contenders in the ginormous tarp category are the JRB 11x10, JRB Hammock Hut, Warbonnet Superfly, Speer Winter Tarp, and I've heard rumblings that Brian at OES is working on a design to add doors to his maccat hex tarps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast